Ruger Forum banner

Borchardt Rifles Ruger Cylinders

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  L-Ray 
#1 ·
So I've got a used Ruger NM Single Six that only came with the 22 LR cylinder. Recently I was looking into getting a .22 Mag cylinder for it and came across this site Borchardt Rifles - Ruger Cylinders they claim to make drop in replacement cylinders. I called and chatted with them, they seemed very knowledgeable. They claim to not need the original gun to make the cylinder work i.e. no fitting or timing required. The gentleman I chatted with said that they test all their cylinders in 6 different Single Sixes before shipping them, and that if there is any issues they'll gladly take the cylinder back and send a new one. Anyone have any experience with the company? I know sometimes you can get lucky buying cylinders on Ebay and get one to drop in, but I was under the impression that most had to be fitted/timed to they revolver.

#2 ·
So I've got a used Ruger NM Single Six that only came with the 22 LR cylinder. Recently I was looking into getting a .22 Mag cylinder for it and came across this site Borchardt Rifles - Ruger Cylinders they claim to make drop in replacement cylinders. I called and chatted with them, they seemed very knowledgeable. They claim to not need the original gun to make the cylinder work i.e. no fitting or timing required. The gentleman I chatted with said that they test all their cylinders in 6 different Single Sixes before shipping them, and that if there is any issues they'll gladly take the cylinder back and send a new one. Anyone have any experience with the company? I know sometimes you can get lucky buying cylinders on Ebay and get one to drop in, but I was under the impression that most had to be fitted/timed to they revolver.
Yes, last year I bought three ejector rods with the large round 'bullseye' button and ejector rod housing for three of my 7.5" blued Super Blackhawks. All were made in their shop, bluing was beautifully done. The price was right, too. There was a bit of a delay filling my order and someone before me bought out their entire inventory of these. The wait was worth it. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. I am will be orderin a fourth ejector rod plus housing and am considering one of their 44 Special cylinders. Their products are hand made and in demand from seriouus shooters so you may have to wait.
Bulldog47

#4 ·
I don't have a dog in the fight .... just some common sense. Ruger won't sell you a cylinder unless you send the gun in to have the cylinder fitted to your frame. Seems odd an aftermarket source says otherwise. Timing (cylinder-to-bore alignment) is carefully controlled by Ruger's CNC machining, as is headspace from the thickness of the ratchet column. So, these two parameters are rarely a problem. What can be a problem is the overall length of the cylinder from the gas ring to the ratchet column and of course the cylinder body length. These two parameters are dependent on how far the barrel was screwed into the frame (B/C gap) and the play between the cylinder's gas tube and frame (end shake). If you don't care about a proper fit, then an aftermarket Borchardt cylinder will work. Of course it may have a generous end shake and B/C gap.

#5 ·
I ordered a 9mm cylinder from Borchardt last summer and was told that it would be a long wait. They sent me instructions on how to measure the 357 cylinder with digital calipers and record several measurements and sent them back to them.

Meantime, I bought a 357 convertible with the 9mm cylinder and called them recently to let them know to cancel the cylinder. They said no problem, as they were not ready to start making cylinders just yet. So, expect to wait a bit for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.