Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who here uses a bore guide when cleaning a rifle? Are they worth it? Seems like a chamber saver to me. I was thinking of getting one of these for an AR15 match barrel.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Everytime on my M77.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Many decades ago now, when learning how to shoot and care for firearms, my father never used one, so I've never used one. Always seemed like a solution in search of a problem to me (nobody I know of my age or older who grew up without even the idea of one ever seems to see any sense to them, and nobody I know with military service ever used one either, which includes some who shot competitively while serving).

I do only use brass cleaning rods, not steel (and bronze brushes, never steel).

·
Registered
508 Posts
I do use a bore guide on lever action .308 (Win88). I dont bother on .22s, muzzleloaders, Mosin's etc.

just a little brass cone that protect the crown while pumping the rod in and out, the only way to do a lever action.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I use bore guides on all of my bolt guns. I just try and be careful when cleaning my auto loaders. I cannot use bore guides on those types of firearms.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I use them on all my bolt rifles, and the AR-15, since hinging the action allows me to insert a guide as opposed to other types of semi-autos where you can't get one in. Not so much a chamber saver but to prevent wear on the leade and start of the rifling. Also tends to keep solvent and gunk out of the action, but usually clean the inside of the action anyway before I'm done.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If I'm going to clean a gun with a rod (vs. a Snake or something), and if I can do so, I'll use a chamber/bore guide. I use the ones from Sinclair made of UHMW. I have a couple of 'universal' ones, but they don't really seal anything, whereas the Sinclair ones do a pretty good job of sealing (so that cleaners, oils, and crud don't flood the actions).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts