Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my bore light went deep six, I've been perusing various web sights this morning looking for a inexpensive replacement ... there two basic types one that has a flexible lead and runs off of a battery, the other is a solid piece of plastic in red, green or clear that uses the ambient light to illuminate the bore ...

Anyone use the latter one and if so good bad or crap?

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have both, use the battery powered one mainly, but carry the plastic one in case the batteries die when at my LGS or a gun show.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I looked into the plastic one..............about 54% of the people or so gave it a good review, which from what I've seen is a little below what the battery type get. They're defiantly cheap but they're useless on anything under .25 cal. I ended up going with a Winchester with the flex head, under $10.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know you are asking about a "bore light" but I had to toss this out there - for examining a bore in any detail a bore scope is best, but those things USED TO BE so expensive (and you can't drag one around a gun show.) Now you can get a really good one on Amazon for $50 called the Tesalong Rifle Bore Scope. Seriously, I've seen the videos people are producing with this unit and it blows me away.
https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Borescope-Side-View-Semi-Rigid-Smartphone/dp/B07TTQF24F/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=teslong+rifle+bore+scope&qid=1575066258&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyT1dERlNaS1BPTUxQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjcyNzU4MjE3MjRWRkw5NllHVyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjcyNTE0OE1LT01WVUpZM0NRJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I'm getting myself one for Christmas :)

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked into the plastic one..............about 54% of the people or so gave it a good review, which from what I've seen is a little below what the battery type get. They're defiantly cheap but they're useless on anything under .25 cal. I ended up going with a Winchester with the flex head, under $10.
Does the Winchester fit a 22?

I know you are asking about a "bore light" but I had to toss this out there - for examining a bore in any detail a bore scope is best, but those things USED TO BE so expensive (and you can't drag one around a gun show.) Now you can get a really good one on Amazon for $50 called the Tesalong Rifle Bore Scope. Seriously, I've seen the videos people are producing with this unit and it blows me away.
https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Borescope-Side-View-Semi-Rigid-Smartphone/dp/B07TTQF24F/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=teslong+rifle+bore+scope&qid=1575066258&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyT1dERlNaS1BPTUxQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjcyNzU4MjE3MjRWRkw5NllHVyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjcyNTE0OE1LT01WVUpZM0NRJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I'm getting myself one for Christmas :)
Interesting item, never thought about this. The bore light that went deep six was used mainly for inspection before & after cleaning ...

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
rmicheal63, yes it does, I’m not sure about a .17 but it works on my .204. It’s dang bright too.

As far as the Teslong goes, I’ve heard nothing but good about it, a bunch of guys on another one of my forums have purchased one. I’ll have one soon.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rmicheal63, yes it does, I’m not sure about a .17 but it works on my .204. It’s dang bright too.

As far as the Teslong goes, I’ve heard nothing but good about it, a bunch of guys on another one of my forums have purchased one. I’ll have one soon.
Well then I'll have to look into the Winchester model, i don't own a .17 ...

Maybe one day I'll look into the Teslong ...

Thanks for the input ...

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Check Wally World..........I think I paid $7 for it there some years ago, but it is on Amazon for under $10.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,754 Posts
I don't buy cheap tools any more. My plastic one with the clear tip went bad, and I decided to get a little better quality light.

My Cabelas light was cheap and still works well. This one is similar, but in green. Light is decent:

https://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/shooting/gun-maintenance/gun-smithing|/pc/104792580/c/104814180/sc/104370480/cabelas-bore-lights/7642.uts

I have a nicer metal one that came my way at some point, probably at a show, but I have no idea where to find another like it. The one at Palmetto State Armory, shown here, is similar. The LED makes it really bright. Under $10.

https://usa.palmettostatearmory.com/real-avid-led-magnetic-bore-light-black-silver-avbr101b.html

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Cabela's link just shows two separate bore lights but no prices or any obvious
way to find either light.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't buy cheap tools any more. My plastic one with the clear tip went bad, and I decided to get a little better quality light.

My Cabelas light was cheap and still works well. This one is similar, but in green. Light is decent:

https://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/shooting/gun-maintenance/gun-smithing|/pc/104792580/c/104814180/sc/104370480/cabelas-bore-lights/7642.uts

I have a nicer metal one that came my way at some point, probably at a show, but I have no idea where to find another like it. The one at Palmetto State Armory, shown here, is similar. The LED makes it really bright. Under $10.

https://usa.palmettostatearmory.com/real-avid-led-magnetic-bore-light-black-silver-avbr101b.html
Thanks for the info ... I've definitely have decided on one that has the flexible lead ...

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
I've only used the flexible shaft battery operated one. Got it at Walmart for around $7...works great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Frogforaday (post #6) is correct. This bore scope works very well. I have one and have used it on 22 rimfires, 22-250, 270, 7-08, and a 300 Weatherby. It works very well with Windows 10. It is easy to use and the pictures are excellent. Amazon carries this bore scope.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts