Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new bore snake today for my new S&W SD9, and wow, what a difference it makes. I was using Ballistol and Hoppers along with patches and my barrel just was not looking all that great. Two pass troughs with the new snake and whoa! Looks like a mirror inside. Much, much easier and faster.

I'd been using one on my .22 rifles, but I don't really have a good way of seeing inside the bore.

Those things really work!

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Probably a dumb question but youre using bore brushes too right?
Good point. I love my bore snakes but I always use a brass brush first unless it's only had a couple rounds through it. And whatever you're using to clean it, let it sit for a while to give it a chance to work inside your barrel.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Thats your problem right there! Even the boresnake has a brush imbedded in it. I do like boresnakes and they do a decent job, in certain guns they even produce a close to completely clean barrel but the best way is to used a rod, brush, and some patches, occasionally copper solvent. I got a Rem 700 26in barrel and my rod was too shot so for a few hundred rounds I used nothing but bore snake. They run really tight in .22 calibers and they did a great job in that gun for a while, but no matter how much you boresnake, you can almost always run a brush to kick up more residue and come out with a "dirty" patch. Also remember to wash the BS, if youre cleaning with a dirty BS occasionally, youre not going to clean as effectively with a dirty one. The copper solvent really didnt take anything out of my SR9 after 4000 rounds but after a few hundred .223s, I was getting dissolved copper so its a must for a good rifle.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm glad the 'Snake is working so well for you! That's almost all I use for routine cleaning, too, unless/except if I have a problem fouler.

As far as brushing goes, I've often wanted to try the newer Bore Snakes (Viper, I think they're called?) that have a ton more brush bristles. If a person wants more brushing, they may be just the ticket.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I'm glad the 'Snake is working so well for you! That's almost all I use for routine cleaning, too, unless/except if I have a problem fouler.

As far as brushing goes, I've often wanted to try the newer Bore Snakes (Viper, I think they're called?) that have a ton more brush bristles. If a person wants more brushing, they may be just the ticket.
Anyone have any good info on the "Viper" version? I had heard that there were some issues, but the concept of more bristles sounds good to me.

I use a reg Bore Snake on in between super cleanings of my MK's and on my rifles, but I use the Otis system on most of my higher cal pistols.

·
Zombie Hunter
248 Posts
I'm going to look into this. Good info. I've always used patches and brushes.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to look into this. Good info. I've always used patches and brushes.
I'm not suggesting that you stop using them all together, but if you clean your firearms after each use, and if you are not using ammunition that is really dirty burning, the bore snake is a godsend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts