Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I am fairly new to this forum and a new shooter. I will be applying for my LTC in the coming weeks and will be doing this through the Boston PD. I understand that they require a range test at one of their facilities. I was wondering if anybody on this forum has had to complete this test, and if you could give me any advice for this test (besides hitting the target on every shot :))

Thanks!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Welcome from mid-coast Maine!

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Welcome from central Kansas.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Hey everybody,

I am fairly new to this forum and a new shooter. I will be applying for my LTC in the coming weeks and will be doing this through the Boston PD. I understand that they require a range test at one of their facilities. I was wondering if anybody on this forum has had to complete this test, and if you could give me any advice for this test (besides hitting the target on every shot :))

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum from Phoenix!

It sounds like the standard test, which is 8 hrs including a small amount of range time. What the instructor is looking for is that you are proficient with your gun. You can shoot a target you're aiming at (using a silhouette is good practice), you can reload efficiently, i.e., without dropping your mag/ammo on the ground and you can complete the test on time. And the time they allow you is more than adequate, so don't hurry, just do it right.

So, before and after the test, practice, practice, practice. You can never practice too much and it's a whole lotta fun, too! :D

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine.

BTW - for the written test, just pay attention, especially to your local laws. About 7 hrs of the course is lecture with possibly some multimedia presentations.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Welcome from the Central Coast of California.

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Welcome to the forum......that said, find an instructor at one of the ranges.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Phoenix!

It sounds like the standard test, which is 8 hrs including a small amount of range time. What the instructor is looking for is that you are proficient with your gun. You can shoot a target you're aiming at (using a silhouette is good practice), you can reload efficiently, i.e., without dropping your mag/ammo on the ground and you can complete the test on time. And the time they allow you is more than adequate, so don't hurry, just do it right.

So, before and after the test, practice, practice, practice. You can never practice too much and it's a whole lotta fun, too! :D

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine.

BTW - for the written test, just pay attention, especially to your local laws. About 7 hrs of the course is lecture with possibly some multimedia presentations.
That sounds like the test I took in Arizonia. I didn't think it was timed though. If it was everyone had lots of time and it wasn't an issue. Surprising some people couldn't follow directions and failed.

To the OP, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
welcome from nevada! you've already gotten some good advice from folks on this thread, but you could also repost your question in the subforum on CCW, and probably get even more ideas. i'm sure there are a good handful of people from your area in the forum. enjoy the forum and your ruger!

p.s. i am new to guns and shooting, too, as of this past june. great pastime to take up!! enjoy!!

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
welcome from nevada! you've already gotten some good advice from folks on this thread, but you could also repost your question in the subforum on CCW, and probably get even more ideas. i'm sure there are a good handful of people from your area in the forum. enjoy the forum and your ruger!

p.s. i am new to guns and shooting, too, as of this past june. great pastime to take up!! enjoy!!

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
When I took my range test I used one of my .22's. Didn't think I would do as well with my .44 mag. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you everybody! I appreciate your feedback. I have reposted this under the CCW thread as suggested.

·
The Shooterologist
3,992 Posts
Welcome from Louisiana.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.