Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After going back and forth between a bearcat and a 22/45 mkIII, I finally went with the 22/45. I've shot both, and love both, but I have tons of revolvers and no autos, and so today is the day that changes. It came with a rail, and I have a pellet pistol with a reflex sight on it (bought it back when I thought .22 ammo was never going to recover), and I like reflex sight on that pellet pistol, so I'm thinking maybe putting a reflex sight on the 22/45. Maybe a scope? I don't know. I plan to give many starlings a bad day, but mostly just want to plink.

What do you have on your 22/45, or just plain irons? I like irons too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, caught a break in the rain today. I really like how rock steady it is. The only pistol I've ever held where I don't notice any shaking at all when aiming. All of my other pistols are revolvers, open sights. I was thinking this time trying a scope possibly. It's such a steady hold, I think a scope might be the best bet...

·
Registered
458 Posts
My 22/45 has a Bushnell Trs25 red dot on it, and I love it. This one came only with rails so I didn't have an open sight option, but I'm really enjoying this dot.

Attachments

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Congratulations mate.
Good choice.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'll keep it irons for now. If I can hit a 2" circle at 100 feet reliably, I'll keep it that way. Whenever I bought the pistol, the gun counter guy kept trying to get me to buy the LITE, which I really didn't like. As a former gun counter guy myself, I've heard countless people complain that certain guns are too heavy. It drove me nuts. I like the weight of the one I bought, very steady hold.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think I'll keep it irons for now. If I can hit a 2" circle at 100 feet reliably, I'll keep it that way. Whenever I bought the pistol, the gun counter guy kept trying to get me to buy the LITE, which I really didn't like. As a former gun counter guy myself, I've heard countless people complain that certain guns are too heavy. It drove me nuts. I like the weight of the one I bought, very steady hold.
I also like my 22/45 Mark III and don't worry about the weight except for my concealed carry weapons. I have two I carry that are light but my others are heavier. I just ordered a M1911 because I always wanted one. I didn't want a 45 so I bought a 9mm Rock Island Armory model. It will make my 22/45 feel light.

·
Pony Soldier
8,748 Posts
I love mine, the only mod I have done is Williams Fire Sights, which helped my old eyes.
I use it for steel challenge and general plinking.

Greg

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not a fan of fiber optic sights. In general, I don't like lining up dots on iron sights. Notch and square post is easiest I think. I won't get to shoot until Thursday due to work and rain. Thinking I may just stick with irons just for simplicity.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I ordered a scope for the pistol. Figured it was worth the money to not have the curiosity scratching my brain. Accuracy isn't what I had hoped. I can hit a 2" circle benched at 25 yards everytime. Need to try different ammo, only shot Remington cyclone so far.

And for the record, the owners manual details exactly how to disassemble and reassemble the pistol. I've heard so many people complain about it, and rely on you tube videos. But the owners manual tells you all you need to know and then some.

·
Registered
429 Posts
i replaced my rear sight with a burris fast fire. this works great for me because i can use any 1911 holster,.
i gotta say that micro dots are slower than full size, so that's the drawback.

with the burris, this is the most accurate pistol i've ever seen, i can get 2'' groups free hand at 25 yards.
with a makeshift bench n wolf and wolf ammo i get 1'' groups.
this is my first handgun so those groups are amazing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have owned two of the 22-45's and got rid of them the first stove piped so often it wasn't fun to shoot. The second I owned about a week, one scope mount screw was cross threaded and wouldn't come out, finally got it out and rethreaded it. Mounted the scope and it was about 6 degrees from vertical. I took it back to my dealer and got my money back.
Hate to say it but I bought a Browning Buckmark and love it!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^the mount issue sounds like user error...

I ended up putting a bsa scope on it, groups halved at 100 feet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts