Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My luck is consistent! :(
A while back I bought a 1959 OM with two cylinders at a gun show. And was quickly informed by this great group that was not possible! And, they were right; the barrel failed the 7/32 bit test. I had a .22LR only that was sold with an extra cylinder that did not belong with it! So I have an extra Magnum cylinder.
Yesterday I visited the local gun shop where I have bought several guns, and they know me. They had an OM made in 1965, serial # 414xxx. The Magnum series numbers, but stamped .22 Cal.
Had the extra cylinder, so things looked good!
Traded my 1981 New Model 6.5" barrel in on it. Didn't get as much out of my NM as I wanted, but did get more than I paid when I bought it from them a few years ago. Since I wanted a shorter barrel, and discovered I like the OMs better, took the hit.
Got home and tried the Magnum cylinder in the gun (Yes, I know, should have tried it there! But I trusted them to check their used guns out!). Didn't fit! Tried it in the 1959. Didn't fit.
LR cylinders fit both guns. So, what's up?
Got the vernier caliper out and checked the length of the LR cylinder that fit. Magnum was longer, and appeared to be "virgin" on the nose end; never filed to fit. Took it out to the shop, got a nice sharp file, and started to work on it. Got it fitted and squared, and it works great now.

·
Registered
730 Posts
What's the "7/32 bit test" in the OP's initial post?

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
What's the "7/32 bit test" in the OP's initial post?
The shank end of a 7/32" drill bit (not the cutting end) will slip into a barrel of the correct diameter for .22 magnum, but won't fit into one sized for .22 short/long/long rifle (0.224" vs 0.222")

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Really glad this worked out for you. You deserve a lot of credit for being able to do the fitting yourself! Well done.

·
Ruger Aficionado
1,101 Posts
They really aren't one size fits all as some will say. But they often fit, and if too long can be fitted. It's more problematic when they are too short.

Glad it worked out in the end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts