Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Well, it isn't officially mine as I have it in layaway, but soon it will be all mine.

I had a very difficult time trying to decide what I wanted in just about every aspect, from caliber, to brand, to size and everything in between. But after a lot of research online, in shops and talking to friends who have handguns, I kept coming back to the Ruger SR9

So today I walk into a gun store/indoor range and as I am looking at their selection, my eyes immediately see a Ruger SR9. In this particular gun case, it was the only gun that had a stainless slide, every other gun was pure black. So it shined right in my eye.

I held it and loved how it felt my hand and how balanced it felt. He then handed me the SRc and I liked how it felt, but not as much as the SC9. After some small talk he asked me how interested I was and I informed him I was interested, but not married to it. He then informed me the gun was used, but in mint condition - I had no idea it was used, it looked perfect to me.

As I started checking the other guns he says "Earlier you told me you were leaning hard towards the Ruger SR9, so has something changed your mind to make you look at the other guns?" I told him that since it was used, I just wanted to see what else he had to offer because I was nervous about buying a used gun as my first gun.

He took the time to explain his policy on used guns and that he would give me free range time to help me feel more comfortable if I decided to buy it. I asked him if the price was negotiable and he told me to shoot him a price and then I would know.... I said I'd give him $365 and he said SOLD!

I think I got a very good deal and I hope I am happy with my decision.

I did a lot of reading on this forum and decided to join now that I am officially a Ruger owner. The wealth of information on this forum was a driving force behind my decision.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
He then informed me the gun was used, but in mint condition - I had no idea it was used, it looked perfect to me. As I started checking the other guns he says "Earlier you told me you were leaning hard towards the Ruger SR9, so has something changed your mind to make you look at the other guns?" I told him that since it was used, I just wanted to see what else he had to offer because I was nervous about buying a used gun as my first gun.
Some "used" guns on dealers tables have never been fired. You'd be surprised how many people buy guns, get nervous and then sell them. I should know, I was one of them in my younger years.

Good luck with your purchase! Other then the LCP, the SR9 is probably the only Ruger semi-auto I'd consider buying.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the Ruger family. I hope you enjoy your new SR9. If you have any questions about it, everyone on here would be glad to help out. I'm a new gun owner myself, just let me tell you, these guys are extremely helpful for a new gun owner.

Good luck and have fun! :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some "used" guns on dealers tables have never been fired. You'd be surprised how many people buy guns, get nervous and then sell them. I should know, I was one of them in my younger years.

Good luck with your purchase! Other then the LCP, the SR9 is probably the only Ruger semi-auto I'd consider buying.
The gun store owner told me he originally sold this gun and doubted if more than 50 rounds had been through it.

Congratulations and welcome to the Ruger family. I hope you enjoy your new SR9. If you have any questions about it, everyone on here would be glad to help out. I'm a new gun owner myself, just let me tell you, these guys are extremely helpful for a new gun owner.

Good luck and have fun! :D
Being a first time owner, I am filled with questions but I will temper driving folks crazy with too many at once.

Thanks and I plan on having a "blast"!

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Some new shooters buy a semi-auto pistol, put a few rounds through it and decide to sell it. Just not their cup of tea.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Great choice, congratulations.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Congrats on your gun purchase, I am sure you are in for a good time shooting it. Greetings and Welcome from the Outer Banks of North Carolina, "The Tar Heel State."

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
As I started checking the other guns he says "Earlier you told me you were leaning hard towards the Ruger SR9, so has something changed your mind to make you look at the other guns?" I told him that since it was used, I just wanted to see what else he had to offer because I was nervous about buying a used gun as my first gun.
I actually look for deals like that! I've helped a few friends find good, lightly used guns for their first gun! They save a few $$ and if they don't like it, they aren't out as much money! Once you know what to look for...used guns can be a great way to go!

·
Banned
208 Posts
Nice! The SR9 was my first pistol and I couldn't be happier. Clean it, put 200 rounds through it, break it in, clean it again and enjoy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Congrats welcome to the world of hand gun owners. Just saying now you have bought one you will have the fever to own more. Great choice a very good gun. Have fun

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. It wasn't an easy choice at first, but the more I read online, I kept being led back to the SR9. Once I held it in my hands, it just felt right if you know what I mean.

I am now in search of the following:

1. Range ammo - I was thinking Federal Champion 115 grain FMJ from Wal-Mart

2. A lockable gun case - Really have no idea what kind, but I want to keep the firearm locked away when in the house/truck.

3. Gun cleaning kit - I don't want to spend much so I am guessing a kit from Wal-Mart will be ok.

Any advice?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Georgia!

Congrats on your first handgun and for making a good choice...Ruger SR9! I don't have an SR9 yet, ( :D ), but it is on my "gotta have it" list.

Good luck with it & happy shootin'.

Now...you need to go back out there and get ya some more Rugers! One is way too few...;)

Glad you could join us, ENJOY!

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I've fired a lot of guns in all my years. I was somewhat skeptical of striker fired weapons. I bought my SR40 and after a getting used to period I love this thing!!! Then at the range one day I fired a guys SR9, one conclusion I've come to, these SR pistols are very, very fine guns!!!!!
Oh yeah, WELCOME this is a geat site for sure!

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
congrats!! i have the SR9's poorer cousin, the P95, and i love it. i'm sure you'll fall completely in love with yours. i've heard only good things about them.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I am now in search of the following:

1. Range ammo - I was thinking Federal Champion 115 grain FMJ from Wal-Mart
9mm is cheap and one of the most commonly available rounds. Check around, you can probably get a better deal on bulk ammo. Walmart isn't always the cheapest.

2. A lockable gun case - Really have no idea what kind, but I want to keep the firearm locked away when in the house/truck.
You can get a mini handgun vault to start with. I don't know your particular situation, but keep in mind a locked up gun is a useless gun.

3. Gun cleaning kit - I don't want to spend much so I am guessing a kit from Wal-Mart will be ok.
You must have this. Get the Outers brand universal pistol cleaning kit from Walmart. I believe it is around $30. If will save you money in the long run you decide to buy other types of pistols. If you can afford it, get the Pro-Shot .38/.357/9mm cleaning kit for around $40. Better quality and made in the USA. It comes with a silicone cloth that works wonders on my gun. You will also need a bottle of Hoppes No.9 and some good gun oil.

Be safe and have fun!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
congrats!! i have the SR9's poorer cousin, the P95, and i love it. i'm sure you'll fall completely in love with yours. i've heard only good things about them.
I was between the P95 and SR9 because i read sure great things about both.

9mm is cheap and one of the most commonly available rounds. Check around, you can probably get a better deal on bulk ammo. Walmart isn't always the cheapest.

You can get a mini handgun vault to start with. I don't know your particular situation, but keep in mind a locked up gun is a useless gun.

You must have this. Get the Outers brand universal pistol cleaning kit from Walmart. I believe it is around $30. If will save you money in the long run you decide to buy other types of pistols. If you can afford it, get the Pro-Shot .38/.357/9mm cleaning kit for around $40. Better quality and made in the USA. It comes with a silicone cloth that works wonders on my gun. You will also need a bottle of Hoppes No.9 and some good gun oil.

Be safe and have fun!
Thanks for the tips. I went to Wal Mart and bought a box of 100 round Federal Champion 115 grain FMJ. I thought $19.97 was a good deal.

I also looked at their gun cleaning kits but didn't buy. I wanted to wait to see what kind of suggestions I got on this forum. I will look for the items you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I went to Wal Mart and bought a box of 100 round Federal Champion 115 grain FMJ. I thought $19.97 was a good deal.

I also looked at their gun cleaning kits but didn't buy. I wanted to wait to see what kind of suggestions I got on this forum. I will look for the items you mentioned.
Shoot To Thrill. The SR9 was my first gun as well. The 17 round capacity and the feel of the SR9 in my hands / ergonomics sold me on it. Great gun, you'll be pleased.

I think you've already found the most economical target ammo, thats exactly what I get if it's available. Cleaning kit- nothing like the wonderful aroma of Hoppes #9 :D

I'm assuming your new to shooting with this being your first hand gun, first and foremost I would stress gun safety at this point. Be sure to educate yourself on this.

The Four Rules Of Gun Safety
1. Treat all guns as though they are loaded!
2. Never point a gun at something you're not prepared to destroy!
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target!
4. Always be sure of your target and what is behind it!

You might know these already but figured I'd throw it out there anyway. Welcome to the forum. As mentioned, great folks here.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Shoot To Thrill. The SR9 was my first gun as well. The 17 round capacity and the feel of the SR9 in my hands / ergonomics sold me on it. Great gun, you'll be pleased.

I think you've already found the most economical target ammo, thats exactly what I get if it's available. Cleaning kit- nothing like the wonderful aroma of Hoppes #9 :D

I'm assuming your new to shooting with this being your first hand gun, first and foremost I would stress gun safety at this point. Be sure to educate yourself on this.

The Four Rules Of Gun Safety
1. Treat all guns as though they are loaded!
2. Never point a gun at something you're not prepared to destroy!
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target!
4. Always be sure of your target and what is behind it!

You might know these already but figured I'd throw it out there anyway. Welcome to the forum. As mentioned, great folks here.

It can never be said enough right? Yes, this is my first handgun, so I certainly appreciate your concern and looking out for my safety.

The gun shop said they would give me one free hour on the range time and someone at the shop would spend as much time as I felt I needed to get me comfortable with not only the gun, but the range and proper etiquette as well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts