Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black Friday deal got me. Went into my local gun shop Friday morning to get some cleaning stuff and a few other things that were on sale and they had 10% off any pistol plus an hour of free range time if the pistol was purchased between 10am and noon.

I am on a revolver kick lately with a new Ruger Match Champion and a used S&W 617 in the last couple of months so I have been thinking about a S&W 357 sort of as a companion to the Ruger, something else that I can use 38/357 in. I was thinking about a model 66 or 686 and they had both in stock but the 627 pro was just a great deal at $100 more then the 66. Since I am not carrying, I don't care too much about the weight difference and the 627 pro is only 1.5 oz more then the 686.

Product: Model 627

I will be picking it up next week ( NJ NICS was unavailable Black Friday <sarcasm on> big surprise <sarcasm off > ) but I have to wait a few more days anyways because I need to wait 30 days between pistol purchases in NJ so no big deal.

Can't wait to get this to the range and try it out back to back with the Match Champion which is also a great revolver.

If anyone has any experience or info on the S&W 627 pro it'd be great to hear about it.

Thanks
-Jim

·
Registered
49 Posts
The quick change front sight is a great feature as far as I'm concerned. They need some nice wood stocks to replace the Goodyears. Mine has proven very accurate. Took a while to get used to having 8 shots in a revolver.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I have a 627 with Hogue Grips and use it in Bowling Pin matches. I have the moon clips from Midway and are just steel and have over a year of matches on the same ten moon clips. I have a Loader by B.M.T. N3-8 Mooner de-mooner and it is the best I have found. This revolver lets me hold my own against the 8 round magazines. Very accurate and smooth shooting gun. You will not regret it. Look up the B.M.T. on their website. Here are the pictures of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Do they weld up one of the holes so it can only hold 7? Just kidding, sounds like a nice buy. I find those 627s appealing too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am probably going to pick it up Thursday or Friday ( the FFL's late nights so I can get there after work) I am probably going to shoot it as-is for a few hundred rounds at least but I think the grips will be the first change. I don't like the placement of the finger grooves but we'll see how it works out on the range, sometimes stuff like that surprises me and works well but just dry firing they seemed a little uncomfortable.

The standard ramp seems like a good front sight but the cool thing about that quick sight release is it's easy to try others out. I may pick up a gold bead front sight for it or maybe fiber optic.

Thanks for the ideas.
-Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts