Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I bought a new 10/20 TD today. Haven't shot it yet.

I've been reading everything I can here about these and I read one or two threads where some folks had some scorching around the chamber.

And at least one person had what appeared to be scorching AND a bad heat treatment resulting in soft metal around the outside circumfrence of the chamber.

I bought it at a gunshow from a local dealer and I inspected it there and asked about the scorching.

He assured me it's purely cosmetic and wouldn't effect shooting. He told me to put a few hundred rounds through it within 30 days and keep inspecting the metal face of the chamber and if there was any damage (softness) he would replace the rifle or refund my money. I've dealt with him a lot and know him to be honest.

So I took it home. Do you think this rifle is going to be troublesome or do you think it will be okay?

Here are the pics and thanks.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I'd do what dude said, put a couple of hundred of rounds through it and see what it does. It may be OK. Can't hurt anything.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Mine is exactly like that. Over 1000 rounds through it-no problems.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is exactly like that. Over 1000 rounds through it-no problems.
I'm sure you've done this, but I gotta ask.

Have you checked around the face of the chamber to see if there's any metal damage/defacement/mushrooming?

I know, I know. I worry too much.

Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
They are supposed to look like that, those are the colors of the heat treatment process. The few pics of the mushroomed barrels that I saw lacked those colors. Mine looks just like yours. Congrats on the purchase of your TD. Keep us posted on how it shoots for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts