Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I ordered one yesterday. Quickly received an email stating a 3 to 4 month wait.
No personal experience yet but hear nothing but positive responses from those who use them.

Dana

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
They are indeed great all steel stights (at least the model I bought, the rough country) and would of liked to continue putting those sights on my guns and worth the money as well, however!!! Their business practices leave something to be desired to say the least. You found out first hand about the timeliness of their shipments. Get you money and then tell you it will be half a year. Wow! Now just why didn't you tell me about the wait time prior to me sending you any money?

Mr Bowen and I even had words about his shipping practices which lead to me getting fired as a customer (can you do that?) I guess so, because a couple of months ago, I wrote asking about dropping a bunch of money on some custom revolver work (work he alone seems to be doing. Not even a peep nor returned email. Nope, I'm now on the "fired customer, do not contact" list and can never buy from them ever again.

Fair enough since I'd hate to get into another situation where I'm waiting for over a year on a stinking set of revolver sights. Yep that's also true a full year. So if I get fired for complaining about a years wait, so be it. My grandma could go to school and learn manufacturing, start a home business to be able to buy cnc equipment and if still alive, make a set of sights sooner than Bowen could ever think about getting a set out to it's customers. How does a business conduct business if they choose to not conduct business as a means of them conducting business. Silly isn't it. Well I figure it's very silly to not ever ship your product.

This all stems from the fact they have family producing some main component parts to their sight assemblies and it's the "family" member that's dropping the ball. Here's a hint......."fire the darn good for nothing brother-in-law instead of firing your customers and get someone that will indeed produce the component parts they are paid to produce. Sounds very simple and straightforward that any school age child could run the business, but NO and old man that apparently is in no need of additional funds (has a couple of good Government retirements and SSI for good measure. House is paid for and all the kids have moved out. Just stuck with that darn brother-in-law that doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground and cannot produce sight parts to save his life.

Sorry I'm letting off a bunch of steam here, but I'm not kidding about the above. Each and every item listed above is true and unfortunately that means not only I cannot enjoy some really fine sights, but everyone else has to eat poop as well. All so the slow as molasses brother-in-law can feel good he has a job for awhile.

If my Dad was running a shop and I was dropping the ball to where his bread and butter product was piling up in the corner with unfilled orders, you bet he'd kick my butt once and if I didn't respond, I'd be out of work. It's just that simple. Write Mr. Bowen and tell him he should try other suppliers for his component parts to speed the line up a bit. Of course you'll get fired too, but if all of his customers did that, then he'd have to fire slow Bob, don't you think? Smithy.

·
Registered
300 Posts
As I read Bowen's website news announcement the issue is with a family-owned machine shop that is ceasing operations after 75 years. It does not say it is owned by the Bowen family.

I can understand the issues facing the machine shop, not only family issues but finding qualified people who want to work and are willing to learn.

It will take time to find a suitable replacement supplier and any tooling (fixtures/jigs) not specifically designed or purchased by Bowen will have to be redesigned and manufactured.

I'm glad I know this now. I'm still going to order a Rough Country sight, just not today.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm not a fan of Mr. Bowen's business ethos either. I asked about simple job (barrel rebore and factory cylinder install) and was told 2-3 year wait since it wasn't interesting to him. I took the money I would have paid his ego and invested it in tools to do work I find interesting at home and haven't looked back.

That said the sights are very good and I will buy them used if someone else is selling along with millet and behlert sights (unfortunately long out of production). I believe LPA is supposed to be coming out with a Ruger revolver sight in the near future so keep an eye out there as well.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have one of the target sights on my Bisley Hunter. It is a really fantastic sight which I would compare the the BoMar sights I have on a few 1911's.

I got incredibly lucky, and had very good timing. I had seen a thread on another site about how many people were waiting for orders to be filled and for how long. It was a long, old thread. All of a sudden this June, people said they were showing up in their mail boxes (!).

I I went online and ordered one, and a week and a half later it showed up (on the day before I went on vacation no less).

I sent an email a couple days later, after shooting with the new sight and liking it, and asked if a sight could be modified to work on a ruger MK II base, and the email was answered an hour later (late on a Friday evening) saying yes, it could be done for a small nominal fee, but I would have to call to order it.

To modify it for the MK pistols, they simply remove some metal from in front of the pin hole and re blue it.

I did call the following Monday, and a perfectly modified sight showed up ten days later.

I bought a lottery ticket that day, but I wasn't _that_ lucky :rolleyes:

It's a bit pricey, but really is a fantastic sight !

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I contacted Bowen about doing work on my Alaskan and he said he only does "off the menu package jobs".......I want to have him do the Alpine on my .357 beater Redhawk, which includes Rough Country sights........I guess I'll put the deposit down and wait until he contacts me in 2018 to send the gun in......and hope he's still in business then to do the work:) This project was to be my "once in a lifetime deluxe custom work" treat to myself, one and done, I just want to make my .357 Redhawk one of the "jewels" of my collection.......since I love .357's, I love large frame DA's, and this would make this Redhawk "perfect". I liked the 4" S&W 28 I had, seemed "perfect" for a .357, but I love Rugers more, and wanted to make my RH more like a 4" 28.

I had thought about these sights, honestly, I can't justify $100+ for sights for a $600 revolver at this point in my life.......10 years ago, before I had a kid, and "life expenses" etc. I would drop money like a drunken sailor on all kinds of gimmicks for my guns.........now I'm more careful, if the sights on my Rugers work, I just go with them. I like fixed sight revolvers more anyway. I had thought a set of Bowen sights would be ideal for my new TALO 6" GP100 but they really won't make the gun shoot any better, these sights are better left for the ultra-high dollar Single Actions for old guys with deep pockets:)

The last time I spent big dollars on a sight, was when I had to give nearly $200 for a set of Millett's for a 4" GP100 I have, that I really, really wanted to put Milletts on........it was worth it, the sights are great, and make the gun "something different" to shoot. After that I vowed never to get gouged for a set of sights again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i sent Bowen in Email last night just got this reply and i did order a set and hope i get the soon

Thanks for your inquiry.

At this writing, we have lost the machine shop vendor that did most of the rough-out machine work on our sights. We have a couple of new ones working and are starting to receive parts on a regular basis again. Since we have a lot of back orders to fill, I cannot say with certainty when we’ll have parts in inventory. The quickest way to get a sight is to order it, even if it goes on back order. My hope is to have all sights in stock by year’s end.

Not sure what you mean by ‘target’ sight. We make to click-adjustable target-style sights with serrated, black blades for both Old and New Model Rugers and also a target version of our Rough Country heavy-duty sight. The later will be available first most likley.

Hope this will help; thanks for your interest.

Sincerely yours,

Hamilton S. Bowen
Bowen Classic Arms Corp.

·
Registered
609 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Simple guys: The "target" sight accounts for a much taller front sight blade, this due to the normal and abnormal ammunition used in this caliber. The beefier the load the more the gun has a chance to "muzzle jump" prior to leaving the barrel and be on a fixed trajectory on its way to the target. If you call to ask about heights on the Rough Country sight you'll also get very similar suggestions as to blade height based solely upon caliber of the weapon. Now difference in construction on Bowen's part, the "target" sight has the normal spring/set screw arrangement as the factory sights they are replacing. It takes the "Rough Country" sight to get the all steel (target sights are steel as well), modified rear sight assembly that has you remove one of the two springs since the assembly height is determined not by springs returning the assembly to "home" but rather screw butting against set screw to permanently set the height of the rear sight assembly and therefore the rear blade height. The same goes true for the windage adjustment where you have steel screw mated against steel screw to adjust the windage setting. Simple enough. Smithy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got a up date things are looking better

Dear Sir,

The RCSS Sight is on Back Order and will not be shipped for 3 to 4 weeks. Please let me know if you wish to place your order on our Back Order list or to cancel it.

Thank You,
Rose Ann Wilkinson
Bowen Classic Arms Corp

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have Bowen Rough Country sights on all of my Ruger revolvers and am quite pleased with them. The sight picture is far and away better than the factory sights and the workmanship of the sights is first rate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts