Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Manny Pacquiao

Votes: 9 90.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The welterweight showdown, which will air live via a joint Showtime and HBO pay-per-view broadcast in the U.S., is arguably the most significant and anticipated 147-pound championship since the first bout between Sugar Ray Leonard and Thomas Hearns in 1981. And though many fans and members of the sports media believe the fight is happening five years too late, most agree that it has the potential to be the highest-grossing boxing event ever.
Finally! Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Manny Pacquiao superfight is on - Ring TV

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
As stated, years late. Remember Hearns/Sugar Ray? That was a good fight when they were basically in their primes. Good old days.

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
Reactions: Hokieman1987

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
That's my favorite too with Salva Sanchez-Azumah Nelson a close second.
That was a good one too. All the way to the 15th.
I also got a kick out of Buster Douglas beating Tyson.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Should be a good scrap....i heard its going to be worth 200 + million.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
One of my favorite fights was the first Duran/Leonard fight!

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
I hope it lives up to the hype. IMHO, the two best eras of boxing were the heavyweights of the 70's (Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton and Shavers) and the welterweight/middleweight classes of the 80's (Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Duran and Benitez).

·
Registered
517 Posts
Let's hope it finally happens. Classic styles pitted against one another...Punching machine(Manny) vs. counter-punching machine(Floyd)...should be spectacular!

·
Registered
860 Posts
One of my favorite fights was the first Duran/Leonard fight!
Duran was the best. Manny is close second. the only problem is that they just don't know when to quit! Anyway, I hope Manny teaches the mouth a lesson so profound that he can't open that mouth for a weeks or so!

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Someone mentioned that there's potential to earn $300M.

Mayweather had to finally agree to the fight. There was building momentum for Pacquiao to fight Amir Khan in the UK and that could have easily stolen the thunder from a Mayweather vs. a patsy showdown.

I hope it lives up to the hype. IMHO, the two best eras of boxing were the heavyweights of the 70's (Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton and Shavers) and the welterweight/middleweight classes of the 80's (Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Duran and Benitez).
We are the lucky ones to have witnessed both the great 70s and 80s fights where hardly anybody dodged anyone.
That's the major knock on Mayweather's undefeated record. He didn't face Mosley until after Sugar Shane's already past his prime, and Floyd didn't face Cotto until almost 3 years after the Puerto Rican lost to Pacquiao.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
It maybe 5 years late, but better late then never. Should be a great fight if it really comes off.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I sure do miss some of the great fighters of yesteryear. I hope this one stands up. Boxing has cooked it's own goose and opened the door for MMA to move to the top. For my money though give me the sweet science.

My all time favorite to watch was Arturo Gatti. He wasn't the greatest of all time. But IMHO the most entertaining. He was in the fight of the year 4 times. He had a heart as big as all outdoors. Some of his best fighting came after he got knocked down. Don't know if we'll ever see another one like him.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Mayweather-Pacquiao....POLL

With the impending Mayweather-Pacquiao bout coming up ....Whose camp are you in and who are you cheering for....????

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pacquiao by split decision over the "Dodger" who's not from LA's baseball team :)

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I sure do miss some of the great fighters of yesteryear. I hope this one stands up. Boxing has cooked it's own goose and opened the door for MMA to move to the top. For my money though give me the sweet science.

My all time favorite to watch was Arturo Gatti. He wasn't the greatest of all time. But IMHO the most entertaining. He was in the fight of the year 4 times. He had a heart as big as all outdoors. Some of his best fighting came after he got knocked down. Don't know if we'll ever see another one like him.
Gatti-Ward has to be the best trilogy that did not involve a world title.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Anyone recall the fight between Benny Kid Peret and Emile Griffith?...we watched the fight when I was a young guy in the 60's...unfortunately Peret died during that one...Griffith was a terrific fighter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts