Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any boxing fans here? I must admitt I haven't followed it in decades but I use to love watching the heavyweights. Ali sure made it popular when I was young and he brought it mainstream.

But there doesn't seem to be any Gillette Friday Night Fight of the Week anymore. Or am I just not getting the right channels?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Boxing is a dieing sport. With mma and the UFC now becoming the fight sport to watch boxing is falling short on fans. There hasn't been a good heavy weight in years. I used to be a huge boxing fan but when I was introduced to mma I quickly got hooked on it. I'll still watch boxing here and there but I have a UFC app on my iPad and phone I work my schedule around pay per view UFC fights and I watch fuel tv that shows all the old fights and ultimate fighter series. To me the last fight that needs to happen and let boxing fad away is the mayweather pacman fight. It's just too bad mayweather is afraid to lose his recored and won't fight him. Boxing also put a bad taste in fans mouths with the horrible score card calls. Did anyone really think timothy bradly won that fight? Seriously?! To me mma is more challenging and more fun to watch. With all the ways you can win and technics it's just awesome to watch. Ppl say boxing made mma but if you think about it mma has been around since the gladiator days in Rome .

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boxing is a dieing sport. With mma and the UFC now becoming the fight sport to watch boxing is falling short on fans. There hasn't been a good heavy weight in years. I used to be a huge boxing fan but when I was introduced to mma I quickly got hooked on it. I'll still watch boxing here and there but I have a UFC app on my iPad and phone I work my schedule around pay per view UFC fights and I watch fuel tv that shows all the old fights and ultimate fighter series. To me the last fight that needs to happen and let boxing fad away is the mayweather pacman fight. It's just too bad mayweather is afraid to lose his recored and won't fight him. Boxing also put a bad taste in fans mouths with the horrible score card calls. Did anyone really think timothy bradly won that fight? Seriously?! To me mma is more challenging and more fun to watch. With all the ways you can win and technics it's just awesome to watch. Ppl say boxing made mma but if you think about it mma has been around since the gladiator days in Rome .
I'll have to look into it. I'm feeling sports withdrawal now that baseball is ending (at least in Seattle) and football is only once a week.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i only occasionally watch boxing, but i do like it, whatever weight class, and i especially like watching olympic boxing though this most recent olympics was a bit of a disaster as far as that goes. i actually kind of like watching the smaller quicker guys.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
No interest at all.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
Once Marvin Hagler retired then pretty much so did I from following fighting with the exception of what may be on from the olympics. When I was a kid we used to watch the Friday Night Fights on TV. The cage fighting or whatever it's called and WWF do nothing for me and I never watch them.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,385 Posts
I loved watching boxing from the 1950s through the 1990s. I lived across the street from Sonny Liston in 1967. I lost interest since about 2000 and haven't followed it since. I don't even know who the heavy weights are now.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
UFC full contact has pretty much taken over traditional Boxing. Here in the Atlanta area it is all on Pay per view. I like to watch it all but I would rather spend my hard earned $$ on Ammo.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a few myself back in the late 50s to early 60s, and knew many of the really good pros. Some participated in 'catch-as-catch-can' or 'freestyle' bouts, the early forerunner of MMA. It was much more vicious than MMA with its detracting rules. I honestly think that the top boxers/freestylists of my era would annihilate any of the the top MMA fighters of today. Today they can't headbutt, bite, eye gouge, groin kick, etc. It wouldn't even be close. Even though MMA is now a sport more than a fight I still enjoy close competition. Pure boxing is nearly dead.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Roberto Duran was one of my favorites. Ron Lyle too in the heavyweight division. And lets not forget about the hardest hitting heavyweight ever......Ernie Shavers!

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a few myself back in the late 50s to early 60s, and knew many of the really good pros. Some participated in 'catch-as-catch-can' or 'freestyle' bouts, the early forerunner of MMA. It was much more vicious than MMA with its detracting rules. I honestly think that the top boxers/freestylists of my era would annihilate any of the the top MMA fighters of today. Today they can't headbutt, bite, eye gouge, groin kick, etc. It wouldn't even be close. Even though MMA is now a sport more than a fight I still enjoy close competition. Pure boxing is nearly dead.
Sounds like wrestling to me???

·
Registered
96 Posts
A good boxer-puncher/wrestler is hard to beat. I had a background in competitive judo before I ever laced on the gloves. In one early fight I was outclassed by a slick boxer/puncher, therefore instinctively took him down judo-style. I neither lost the fight nor was DQed. Rules are much more strict today. I often hear that MMA fighters use 4 ounce gloves therefore hit harder than any boxer. Far from the truth - in my day most latin-american boxers used 5 ounce gloves much like MMA. I used them for bag gloves. They were lethal and I wouldn't even spar with them. Good thing - I'm still pretty and have my original teeth.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
I enjoy most sports...obviously down under we have a vast difference in those sports our national games here are Rugby and Rugby league and Cricket in the summer....Test Cricket is kinda like watching paint dry for me zzzzz,But Rugby and Rugby league are definitely on my watch list.
I enjoy all forms of combative sport Boxing and MMA are great i come from a Boxing/Martial art background and for quite a few years gone by worked on and off as a second job various forms of Pub/personal Security and the MA background has been very handy on occasion.My son has represented NZ in the national GKR team and his province for Auckland.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A good boxer-puncher/wrestler is hard to beat. I had a background in competitive judo before I ever laced on the gloves. In one early fight I was outclassed by a slick boxer/puncher, therefore instinctively took him down judo-style. I neither lost the fight nor was DQed. Rules are much more strict today. I often hear that MMA fighters use 4 ounce gloves therefore hit harder than any boxer. Far from the truth - in my day most latin-american boxers used 5 ounce gloves much like MMA. I used them for bag gloves. They were lethal and I wouldn't even spar with them. Good thing - I'm still pretty and have my original teeth.
Interesting, I've never boxed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts