Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to replace the stock on my 10/22 with either the Boyds or Stocks and would like to know if those are drop-ins using the single screw and barrel band. Also, which do you prefer of the 2 and why? Thanks

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
...Boyds or Stocks and would like to know if those are drop-ins using the single screw and barrel band. Also, which do you prefer of the 2 and why? Thanks
Boyd's manufactures and sells their stocks. Stocky's is simply a retailer of others' stocks. Taking a wild guess you're thinking the Revolution ones that Stocky's is a dealer for. Now ALL will use the single screw attachment regardless of make, style, etc. The barrel band is generally a forgotten feature when aftermarket stocks get used. Not aware of any made by Boyd's which use it. I believe Revolution does offer a stock using it or at least a style similar to the factory one yet without the allowance for the barrel band.
I have stocks from both Boyd's and Revolution. As far as fitment goes... 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Drop in generally without any needed fitting but understand it's never a guarantee. (just a result of mass production). I do prefer the finish of the Revolution stocks as they're just a bit less glossy which I prefer. Still, both lack the ugly high-gloss finish of other options by Stocky's.

Another to look into (it may take using Google, emailing and maybe even a phone call) is Cousineau. After Rutland Plywood who was THE supplier for all VAST majority of the laminate wood, Cousineau pretty much became the go-to for blanks. Later they began making stocks themselves and produce factory stocks for both Magnum Research and some Ruger 10/22 stocks. They also offer a MUCH wider selection of color options. I know they offer the standard Ruger carbine stock which uses the barrel band. I have a couple of their stocks as well, some of the first one off their production line. One needed a bit of fitting but the other was fine. Again, it's mass production and with mass production on the stock and the receiver, variable dimensions are a given. I do like their finishes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me say 1st, the fit of the Stockey's Ruger American Rimfire stock is excellent. It settles into the shoulder with precision and ease. The disappointment is in some the the other details which I think should not have slipped by QC. There is glue left on the side where the butt attaches to the stock. (Unable to attach pictures), It was not drilled or tapped for one of the trigger guard bolts.screws. And, the instructions sent with the unit were for the Remington 700, NOT the Ruger Rimfire I purchased. Small details. But for a company stressing quality, these items should not have gone out the door. MH

·
Registered
54 Posts
What Boyd's stock?
And what stock do you plan on getting from Stocky's. Stocky's is just a distributer for other companies stocks

First thing you should do is just ditch the barrel band.

If you are buying a 10/22 stock, it will have a single hole just like your original stock

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
I chose the Boyds stock. Pro Varmint in Zombie green. It was a drop in replacement.
Remove your barrel band, loosen screw and remove action, place action in new stock, tighten screw and start shooting. It took me less than five minutes.

I have not had any other brands because the first stock I puchased from them fit my P17 without any modification I just stayed with them because they just worked for me.

PS. If you do decide to go with Boyds be aware the reds in their stocks are more pink than red.
:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts