Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I Just picked up a brand new GP100 6" stainless. When I got home I started going over it real good and noticed the top of the crane to frame fit has a wider gap on the barrel side than it does the Cylinder side.
I have nice tight tolerance of .003 in the forcing cone to cylinder so am happy with that. And everything locks up very tight with no rubbing or issues of any kind so happy about that.
But the un-equal gap at the top of the crane to the frame and slightly off kilter finishing has me a bit concerned......Just not sure what to think. The rest of the Crane to frame fit is tight where it pivots. The left side of the Crane is a bit proud of the frame edge on the barrel side , and a Bit shy of the frame edge on the cylinder side.
I was going to just pull the crane and clean up the left edge about .004 so its in line with the frame edge , and also equalize the uneven Gap at the top about .003. I think I better ASK First before preceding.
The top Crane edge to bottom Frame makes NO contact at all and I don't believe it should.
Lets see if I can post some pics on here and maybe someone could give advise if a Call to Ruger service is in order.....Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
I just checked my 3" GP and it has an even gap, as does my 2.5" SP101.

I'd send those pictures to Ruger and see what they say.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I just looked at my 4" SS GP.

Yes there is a gap, a small one, I mean after all these are production grade guns. But at least mine has a consistent width and small.

I don't usually say this, but I'd send that back. I think that's pretty sloppy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just checked my 3" GP and it has an even gap, as does my 2.5" SP101.

I'd send those pictures to Ruger and see what they say.
Thank You ! Yes....Im a little upset but plan on sending a very specific email and some even more detailed specs and questions unless we determine its only cosmetics and not out of spec.
I have had two dealings with Ruger in the last 2 years that worked out quickly and to my satisfaction.
I just HATE having missed this when examining it at the Gun Shop.....It Ticks me off to have to clean up a brand new Gun once again.
Just trying to determine if its strictly cosmetic in nature or if there could be a out of spec issue that needs corrected by them. Thank You again for the input as I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just looked at my 4" SS GP.

Yes there is a gap, a small one, I mean after all these are production grade guns. But at least mine has a consistent width and small.

I don't usually say this, but I'd send that back. I think that's pretty sloppy.
That's what I thought too. If it comes down to it as a cosmetic issue only I can easily make it even by removing about .003-.004 , but then it will be a even "wide" gap...........Thank You very much.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
That's what I thought too. If it comes down to it as a cosmetic issue only I can easily make it even by removing about .003-.004 , but then it will be a even "wide" gap...........Thank You very much.
**I** wouldn't mess with it even though I've often suggested to 'just fix it and go shooting'. The fit and lockup of the crane is pretty vital and I suspect a pretty serious safety issue too.

Plus you paid for a 100% gun unless you got some discount for sloppy workmanship in the deal. Silence is consent.

But, hey, it's your gun and you're there and I'm not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
**I** wouldn't mess with it even though I've often suggested to 'just fix it and go shooting'. The fit and lockup of the crane is pretty vital and I suspect a pretty serious safety issue too.

Plus you paid for a 100% gun unless you got some discount for sloppy workmanship in the deal. Silence is consent.

But, hey, it's your gun and you're there and I'm not.
Yes.....Silent IS Consent ! Just frustrated as My Lipseys 454 Bisley (Purchased same day) I just got also had a few issues that had to be worked out with the ejector and plunger , and Im also debating on asking for some replacement grips as the ones on it are a pretty bad fit.
2 brand new Guns.....two brand new issues....NOT Happy ! Thank You

·
Registered
190 Posts
I sure would like to hear what becomes of it should you decide to contact ruger. I also have one gp100 with a similar appearance at the crane though it never malfunctioned. Mine also has rings inside the bore close to the muzzle end though it's never had a problem hitting the target. Thought about it myself but it does not seem to be functionally defective so I didn't think they would call it an issue.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sure would like to hear what becomes of it should you decide to contact ruger. I also have one gp100 with a similar appearance at the crane though it never malfunctioned. Mine also has rings inside the bore close to the muzzle end though it's never had a problem hitting the target. Thought about it myself but it does not seem to be functionally defective so I didn't think they would call it an issue.
You would be surprised how quickly they will respond and react when the questions are all in the right places , to the right people......Real Fast !
Yes.....I assure You I will follow through and post results either way.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
That's pretty shoddy work you paid hard earned money to buy this revolver. Either contact Ruger & give them a chance to make it right or see if the LGS you bought this revolver from could exchange it for another revolver but LOOK it over better!!! Good Luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
That's pretty shoddy work you paid hard earned money to buy this revolver. Either contact Ruger & give them a chance to make it right or see if the LGS you bought this revolver from could exchange it for another revolver but LOOK it over better!!! Good Luck!
Im not too happy about it. The reason I even bought it was while picking up my Lipseys 454 Super Blackhawk 5 shot Bisley, they didn't have the other gun I was wanting (4" Super Redhawk in 45 Colt with the new style Grip) and I saw this GP100. I figured "Why Not" since Im a Range Brass scrounger and Have about 2000 once Fired 357 Mag from the range........I Bought It.
Being so stoked over the 454 I just somehow missed the flaw on the GP100. They had a 6" Blue and a 6" stainless and only one of each.
The un-even front edge I can clean up very nicely , but Im stuck with the uneven gap unless I send it back to Ruger. Will probably do both just to be safe if they suggest it. Unfortunately the Gun Shop is 100 miles from me one way.
Ruger will get a nice Email , Pics , and call in the next couple days.........Now where did I put my small Bastard File ???......lol.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Unfortunately the Gun Shop is 100 miles from me one way.
FWIW, I think that fact is irrelevant. I haven't met a gun shop yet that would take a return like this. I'm pretty sure they'd just refer you to Ruger anyway. My suspicion is that Ruger will say this is within spec but I have no basis for this, just a hunch. Curious to hear how it turns out. Good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FWIW, I think that fact is irrelevant. I haven't met a gun shop yet that would take a return like this. I'm pretty sure they'd just refer you to Ruger anyway. My suspicion is that Ruger will say this is within spec but I have no basis for this, just a hunch. Curious to hear how it turns out. Good luck!
That's exactly what the Gunshop did.......I sent them a couple pics too and the owner said he has seen it before even worse Cases and that Ruger always cleaned it up as spec was Ok.
He also remarked that in the last two years he personally has noticed a large increase in QC issues and wasn't too happy about getting Pistols that customers wouldn't buy as some issues were quite obvious and never should have left the Ruger factory without being addressed.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I know it sucks getting bummed out over a gun but Ruger's guns the last few years just not the quality they were 20 years ago but this is just my feelings. I had to clean off rough finished edges on the hammer on my SP101 but just the edges and even the edge of the trigger and trigger guard sharp as hell. This is making guns in a hurry my feelings I know this is the Ruger Forum but money for me is hard to come by being retired!!! My SP101 cleaned up very nice only because it was on the edges not requiring and type of deep refinishing. I still had to polish with my dremmal to make things nice. A person shouldn't have to do finishing work on a new revolver unless its triggers & springs and internal polishing. I felt I lucked out, now my S&W Model 66 & every S&W that I have had in times past and now currently own are very smooth action's and trigger pulls period. Yes I prefer a S&W over a Ruger in a medium framed gun but when it comes to a smaller framed gun I much prefer the SP101. Nuff said on this I have probably riled some feathers here but from the things I read here yes Ruger needs to take the time their name and reputation deserves to do better finish work before they release their firearms for retail!!! The public deserves this!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I know it sucks getting bummed out over a gun but Ruger's guns the last few years just not the quality they were 20 years ago but this is just my feelings. I had to clean off rough finished edges on the hammer on my SP101 but just the edges and even the edge of the trigger and trigger guard sharp as hell. This is making guns in a hurry my feelings I know this is the Ruger Forum but money for me is hard to come by being retired!!! My SP101 cleaned up very nice only because it was on the edges not requiring and type of deep refinishing. I still had to polish with my dremmal to make things nice. A person shouldn't have to do finishing work on a new revolver unless its triggers & springs and internal polishing. I felt I lucked out, now my S&W Model 66 & every S&W that I have had in times past and now currently own are very smooth action's and trigger pulls period. Yes I prefer a S&W over a Ruger in a medium framed gun but when it comes to a smaller framed gun I much prefer the SP101. Nuff said on this I have probably riled some feathers here but from the things I read here yes Ruger needs to take the time their name and reputation deserves to do better finish work before they release their firearms for retail!!! The public deserves this!!!
No....I understand completely. Im not a Ruger basher either as I own 6 recent Guns from them. Its not just Ruger....its ALL Firearms manufactures as of the last several years. Remington and Freedom Group just about destroyed Marlin , and talk about nightmare stories.....they have forever lost me after the R51 9mm I purchased last year and am still waiting for a refund 15 months after the recall , not to mentioned the nighmare Marlin 1895 lever guns they mangled for 5 years and sold to the public when a lot of them never should have left the factory.

Your statement about hard earned $$$.......You know how I got this GP100 and my Lipseys 454 Casull ? I scrounged Range brass for over 6 months for scrap metal prices.... Over 1100 lbs to be exact. So YES.....it not only broke my bank account , But Oh my aching Back.....lol.

Thank God they do seem prompt , fast , and stand behind their products squarely. I Don't like it but not at all worried worried , just frustrated and let down. I fixed the left side of the crane this morning and it looks MUCH more acceptable being in line with the frame. Yet the uneven gap is still there , along with the lingering questions if it is in spec. They will hear from me in detail very soon.

Im going out to shot 50 rounds through it today and just see how it goes as I also noticed the muzzle has some tooling chatter/gouges and very poor finishing also.....Rats !!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Updated Images and progress

The first image is before.
The second image is after "I" worked on it.
The last image is the end of barrel , which although Rough , is something I can deal easily with.

I wont touch anything in the uneven crane to frame fit gap, but the left crane edge was no biggie with some Talc , and an appropriate sized bastard file. Cleaned up nicely with Maroon Scotch-Brite after I was done. Looks much better......almost acceptable short of the uneven Gap.

Now for the barrel end....not the crown.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 61 Posts