Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just took my brand new Bisley NMBH 45 Colt to the range last night.

I had to adjust my rear sight quite a bit to one side but accuracy was quite good with my Rollies.
I then noticed my front sight is about 12:02 as viewed from the barrel end. Its not immediately noticeable and is only about 1-2 degrees Past center.

Its irritating to spend good money on another Ruger to find yet another problem. Its not Bad at all.....yet isn't spot on.

Can anyone tell me if the front post is aluminum or steel? In lieu of sending it back I may just bend it slightly if this is acceptable ?

A little disappointed as this will be 4 for 4 on new Rugers that have been returned for service in the last 1.5 years.

If it were a hair less I wouldn't notice it....If it were a hair more would send it back. What would You do ? Bend or send back ?
My stainless GP100 that I sent back , came back with a couple minor scratches it didn't leave with. So in one way I don't want to send it back and in another way want to. Thanks for any input

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Steel I'm sure......................put a magnet on it.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Rugers quality control has taken a nose dive recently in my opinion! If it was mine I'd bend it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
bend it? depends how much confidence you have to do the repair without screwing the revolver up more.
I understand your concern about sending a new gun back but I would, and just did it to a week old redhawk. i'm extremely happy with the returned gun.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
If you can shoot it well as it is, let it be. If it's such a distraction and doesn't allow god shot placement, I'd send it in rather than attempt to bend it over.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Rugers quality control has taken a nose dive recently in my opinion! If it was mine I'd bend it.
The first was a SR1911 that went Rapid Fire the first day out and the beavertail safety DIDNT have to be engaged to fire at all....REPLACED WITH COMPLETE NEW PISTOL.

Then a finish problem on a different SR1911......promptly corrected.

Next was a 6" GP100 with multiple finish and fit issues as well as a crane lockup issue.....returned it twice and still the front crane lockup was too loose......I installed a new latch pin and filed it properly......CURED. (Overall I now dislike the gun though as it left a bad taste in my mouth)

Ruger overall has treated me Right......but I'm beginning to think any new purchase is going to require a trip back to the factory on issues that never should have been in the first place......frustrating.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Same problem with mine except the front sight base was soldered on so off center and the front sight was centered with muzzle it was to distracting to shoot. Sent pictures to Ruger and they had me send it in. Replaced barrel, sight base and sight.
Took them three tries to fix my Bearcat Shopkeeper.
This kind of thing should never get past the quality control. One reason I quit buying from online sources and went to a hands on purchase only.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This kind of thing should never get past the quality control. One reason I quit buying from online sources and went to a hands on purchase only.
My thoughts exactly....when I can LOOK at a firearm then I know for sure. Right now I want the .480 Ruger 5 shot Bisley and just wont do it because of fear of getting yet another ordered headache.

·
Registered
907 Posts
This kind of thing should never get past the quality control. One reason I quit buying from online sources and went to a hands on purchase only.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Dad45 you hit the nail on the head big time!!! If I cannot see & hold the gun I will not buy it period! My only gun purchase online actually turned out very good but that was 10 years ago! My thoughts to the OP sounds like you kinda have been soured a bit by your Ruger purchase's but you must also like them as well. Now if your front sight is at 12:02 which is really a excellent way to describe your issue. But then again if you are getting good accuracy with your Ruger you might be better off to leave it as is. I wouldn't suggest that you bend it let Ruger CS bend it that way if they screw up you get either a new barrel for your gun or a new gun! Either way good luck

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
S&W has the exact same problem. They can not get a front sight that is not canted. They are all eyed when they tighten the barrel down to get them straight. Why do they not have a apparatus that they can check it with. People get in a routine and hurry and will always make mistakes.

·
Premium Member
4,204 Posts
There are lots of gun buyers but not nearly as many actual shooters. Based on my experience with Armslist and other sites a LOT of folks collect, buy, sell and trade guns but those of us that shoot a lot are in the definite minority. Yes, there are a lot of us actual shooters but there's a lot more that just own guns.

The point is gun manufacturers don't have to spend a great amount of effort on QC because most guns don't really get shot that much. Odds are anything they sell they'll never have to deal with again. Of the real shooters only a few actually have a problem they either can't fix themselves or choose not to. The gun manufacturers, including Ruger, are playing the odds that even though QC isn't great they won't actually have to fix that many guns as an overall percentage of the total number made. They further address the problem by going above and beyond to appease the few that actually have a service repair. By doing so they solidify their reputations of having great CS thereby alleviating any negative connotations caused by poor QC.

Just my random thoughts on the matter.

Personally I'd send it back. They'll fix it right and get it back to you pretty quick. Besides if you snap the sight off trying to bend it you'll have a whole different problem.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Dad45 you hit the nail on the head big time!!! If I cannot see & hold the gun I will not buy it period! My only gun purchase online actually turned out very good but that was 10 years ago! My thoughts to the OP sounds like you kinda have been soured a bit by your Ruger purchase's but you must also like them as well. Now if your front sight is at 12:02 which is really a excellent way to describe your issue. But then again if you are getting good accuracy with your Ruger you might be better off to leave it as is. I wouldn't suggest that you bend it let Ruger CS bend it that way if they screw up you get either a new barrel for your gun or a new gun! Either way good luck
I asked the seller to check it out and of course, oh yeah its fine!

·
Registered
711 Posts
This is the rear sight channel of a Ruger Shopkeeper, second return! First one would not chamber shells! Hands On Only anymore!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Wow Is Right !!! That is completely....Un-acceptable........
I thought my problem was frustrating. I just bent mine a hair and although not quite 100% right it will send any brazen Bear that sticks his head in my Tent again....straight to Bear Heaven when 330gr WFN hits him right between the eyeballs.....lol.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are lots of gun buyers but not nearly as many actual shooters. Based on my experience with Armslist and other sites a LOT of folks collect, buy, sell and trade guns but those of us that shoot a lot are in the definite minority. Yes, there are a lot of us actual shooters but there's a lot more that just own guns.
I reload and shoot almost every single day. My 454 Blackhawk 5 Shot Bisley has over 3000 through it and I just bought it last October. Both my SR1911's have well over 8000 each and aren't even 3 yet. I guess I'm a shooter.....lol.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have a few collectable ones but most are shooters. I am tired of the quality control of most manufactures any more. I just checked out a new Ruger Red hawk in . 41mag. Looks fine and will probably take it home. But again, HANDS-ON!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts