Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1st forum posting: I tried the search function but no real hits...

My friend just took delivery of a BRAND NEW .44 Mag Redhawk. 1st trip to the range and found that the action would not reliably function in either single- or double-action when loaded with factory 156GR ammo.:eek:

Most of the time one had to release the cylinder latch to successfully fire a single shot in either mode: however, the action works perfectly with no shells loaded (which is, of course, exactly what we did within the store before heading out to the range) in both modes.

When it fires (i.e., when you actually can cock the action or pull the trigger from rest in double-action) everything seems normal.

When loaded with empty shells the exact same problems occur: perhaps one or two shots in a row, then the action binds up.

Seems to me it is some kind of timing issue: I'm much more familiar with S&W revolvers and don't know of any way to adjust anything on a Redhawk.

As you can imagine my friend is pretty distraught, any HELP! or suggestions as to a way to better determine the problem, short of sending a brand new gun back to Ruger, would be much appreciated!

Thanks to all in advance for your kind consideration!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Did you try more than one brand of ammo? With Flocci 357 factory loads, my GP101 cylinder won't even close, or if it closes it won't reliably run. But this same gun eats everything else. And these same rounds that are problematic in my GP work fine in my S&W revolver.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
156 gn 44 Mag ammo??? Sounds odd to me. Try some factory loaded 240 gn ammo and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
That's likely mistyped..........because the lightest 44 bullet I know of is a 160gr hard cast and doubt anybody loads that from the factory

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Timing doesn't change in a Ruger whether it's loaded with cases (live rounds or empties). If it times properly empty, it'll time properly loaded.

Sounds like you have a headspace clearance issue. That might be caused by a bit of debris under the extractor - very common issue.

Some ammo has thicker rims than others, and some Rugers leave the factory out of spec, but most often, it's just some gunk under the extractor.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Most of the time one had to release the cylinder latch to successfully fire a single shot in either mode: however, the action works perfectly with no shells loaded (which is, of course, exactly what we did within the store before heading out to the range) in both modes.

When it fires (i.e., when you actually can cock the action or pull the trigger from rest in double-action) everything seems normal.

When loaded with empty shells the exact same problems occur: perhaps one or two shots in a row, then the action binds up.

Seems to me it is some kind of timing issue:
Doesn't sound like 'timing' to me...

Sounds more like 'head space', like there is not enough room for the thickness of the rims...This will cause what you describe...

As stated, try a different brand ammo...If it works, mic the rims on that Federal ammo...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Timing doesn't change in a Ruger whether it's loaded with cases (live rounds or empties). If it times properly empty, it'll time properly loaded.

Sounds like you have a headspace clearance issue. That might be caused by a bit of debris under the extractor - very common issue.

Some ammo has thicker rims than others, and some Rugers leave the factory out of spec, but most often, it's just some gunk under the extractor.
NOTE TO SELF:

Read the entire thread before posting...

Great minds and all that...

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Common results of a "High Primer", but not before, after firing. This will happen with too light a load. Example: Load (even a magnum version if you'd like) a primer into an otherwise empty case and load the gun with five empties and the one primered empty. Now fire that primer and try to advance the gun's cylinder for the next round. Better yet, prime all six cases and just start popping them off in sequence. You'll find that even after just one primer goes off, the gun will basically lock up and be a glorified paper weight. This very same thing can and does occur with "light" or "low recoil" loads. The primer has no way to stay where it is and it becomes the explosive part of the equation.

In other words, you can see that with only the primer going off, it will want to go places like up and out of its primer pocket. Just a thought as I had the same thing happen to me and it was NOT the gun's fault, but my loads. Smithy.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Not light? Then back to just a "High Primer". Or another thing to stay away from is an aluminum case as those are notorious for sticking in place and locking things up when you'd least want them too. Smithy.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Got it Dennis the first time. OK NOT a light load. Just thinking out loud and telling of my experience that produced the same symptoms. Smithy.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
156 gr. 44 mag. ammo?

·
Registered
319 Posts
this sounds like what's happening to my redhawk. I just explain it as the cylinder binds, won't turn when I cock the hammer or try to shoot it double action. it won't open either, has to be forced. I don't think you need to buy different ammo to find out which one it'll work with, it should function with any brand. this revolver is the flagship of the da revolver line.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts