Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was excited about finally owning a Ruger 10/22 after forever hearing about the rifle's rugged reliability and accuracy, etc. I have no doubt that all that is true but I am frustrated with my own experience with the rifle.

I just purchased a new Ruger 10/22 Carbine from my local gun shop and it seemed to function fine. I dry fired it a few times and the safety and trigger worked as expected. I actually thought the trigger felt nice and smooth.

However, I wanted to take the stock off to see what the receiver and trigger guard assembly looked like underneath. Suddenly, as I removed the stock, the bolt stop pin fell out (which I hear is quite normal) and the safety and trigger stopped working. The safety appears to have become disengaged such that it just slides back and forth without any friction. Also the trigger doesn't want to reset; it seems stuck in its rearward (fired) position regardless of whether the bolt is charged or not.

I can't think of anything that I did in taking the stock off that could have caused this. Has this happened to anyone else on here?

If any of you 10/22 veterans could shed some light on this problem I would be very grateful. I was hoping to shoot it this weekend and don't relish the thought of having to send it back to Ruger for service. Sigh....Again, thanks for any advice you may have!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, just. I've been looking for nice illustrated procedures on assembly/disassembly. If it becomes necessary for me to take the trigger assembly down myself to fix this that guide will be a good reference.

I read something about the possibility of the safety rotating out of place. Would this cause the trigger to lock up in fired position and not reset? If so, is this something minor to fix?

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I was excited about finally owning a Ruger 10/22 after forever hearing about the rifle's rugged reliability and accuracy, etc. I have no doubt that all that is true but I am frustrated with my own experience with the rifle.

I just purchased a new Ruger 10/22 Carbine from my local gun shop and it seemed to function fine. I dry fired it a few times and the safety and trigger worked as expected. I actually thought the trigger felt nice and smooth.

However, I wanted to take the stock off to see what the receiver and trigger guard assembly looked like underneath. Suddenly, as I removed the stock, the bolt stop pin fell out (which I hear is quite normal) and the safety and trigger stopped working. The safety appears to have become disengaged such that it just slides back and forth without any friction. Also the trigger doesn't want to reset; it seems stuck in its rearward (fired) position regardless of whether the bolt is charged or not.

I can't think of anything that I did in taking the stock off that could have caused this. Has this happened to anyone else on here?

If any of you 10/22 veterans could shed some light on this problem I would be very grateful. I was hoping to shoot it this weekend and don't relish the thought of having to send it back to Ruger for service. Sigh....Again, thanks for any advice you may have!
i haven't had that happen exactly, but there was a time when i had it apart and was cleaning it that i somehow managed to disengage a spring i hadn't intended to. i couldn't see how to put it back in place or even exactly where it should be going, so i swallowed my pride and went back to the store with the trigger assembly and pieces in a ziplock bag and asked them if they had any hints. they actually put it all back together for me, BUT not without first having to look online at a numrich's diagram, which made me feel slightly better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Arg. I'm not sure my store would be that accommodating or even be technically prepared to do that as I am unsure if they have a gunsmith on site. What troubles me is that something this catastrophic to the functioning of the rifle could happen simply by removing the stock. Lets say that it requires taking the gun down to it's internal parts to solve this. What is going to prevent this from happening again when the stock is removed. I guess I am wondering if this is a fluke or a genuine problem with the rifle. Needless to say, my confidence in the rifle has been shaken a bit.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
is it possible the safety got jammed up and 'torqued' when you were pulling the barrel and assembly out of the stock? they (ruger) say to be very careful to push the safety halfway when assembling/disassembling so it doesn't get hooked up on the stock. personally, mine doesn't want to stay in that position so i have to keep my fingers on it as i lift the assembly and barrel out. i wonder if maybe it got hung up when separating....???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess that is possible. I did read that the safety needed to be centered when removing the stock but I remember having to pull twice on the stock and receiver to separate them. Perhaps I didn't have it centered enough though and it did get knocked in the process, I don't know. It will probably require taking the trigger assembly apart to figure this out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to fix the problem and learned how to disassemble/assemble the entire trigger group assembly from the bare frame in the process. I understand much better how this system works. The safety did indeed get rotated and would not disengage. I was able to rotate the safety back to where it was supposed to be and the trigger worked properly.

However, this safety is extremely susceptible to rotation because when I gingerly tried to reinstall the stock the safety, in it's centered position rotated AGAIN and I had to take a needle nose pliers to rotate the safety to the proper position. I can see that this is going to be a potential problem when taking down the rifle but I can live with it.

This youtube video by hugo2x helped a great deal. Reassembly of the Ruger 10/22 trigger group - YouTube

·
Registered
22 Posts
Call Ruger Customer Service. They are really good and will fix you right up. They will email a shipping label to you so all the shipping costs are paid by Ruger. Why drive yourself nuts when a simple phone call can solve your problem.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have owned six 10/22's and still own three, EVERY ONE of them had/has the same "safety" issues you are describing ... EVERY ONE OF THEM.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I had the exact same issue. Brand new never shot. sent it back to Ruger and it came back....same thing. Nice lady at ruger service gave me the answer, Put the safety in the middle position like you were gonna take down. turn the safety clockwise until you hear a faint click....bingo all good.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The safety has been rotated out of position. It's common, but too complex a fix to explain here in words. There are plenty of YouTube vids on this. Don't panic; hope you have some channel-lock pliers..........

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same issue. Brand new never shot. sent it back to Ruger and it came back....same thing. Nice lady at ruger service gave me the answer, Put the safety in the middle position like you were gonna take down. turn the safety clockwise until you hear a faint click....bingo all good.
I received a new 10/22 from my dad for my birthday, I had the same problem mentioned in this posting, I tried what chuckster909 posted and it fixed the problem in seconds, thank you very much, because I was going to ship it to Ruger in a few days.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
Here is a short article that describes exactly how this happens:

A couple of new models of Ruger 10/22's with synthetic stocks, namely the "optics ready" model 31139 (with light grey stock) and 31145 (with charcoal stock) are coming with stocks that are out of spec. I don't know if this is true of all of them but I know it to have been true in about 10 rifles including one of my own. On these stocks the cut out at the bottom of the stock that the trigger group passes through during take-down and reassembly is too narrow to accommodate the width of the trigger group even if the safety is perfectly centered. As a result the safety lever gets pinched in the stock cut out and as the barrel is lifted to release the receiver from its bed in the stock, the safety lever gets rotated sufficiently to discombobulate it.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
If you don't dissassemble them correctly and if you don't reassemble them correctly ...
They don't work properly.... obtain a manual or book and follow the instructions , it saves you some time and makes life a lot easier . J.B. Wood/ Gun Digest has written several good books on this very subject with some great reassembly tips and warnings that makes the job a lot easier . The book containing the 10/22 instuctions , 22 Rimfire Rifles is worth its weight in gold . They sell for $9.99 (kindle) on Amazon .
Gary

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Simple solution (figured there had to be one, just didn't know anything) and it solved it without taking apart the trigger or sending to a gunsmith. I never respond to these things but wanted to say that this solution works (all you need is a leatherman) and I know others will have this same issue. Once again, thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts

This is probably THE WORST safety configuration I've ever seen.
The Safety easily rotates out of place and locks-up the trigger when you disassemble the rifle in order to clean it.
You then have to gingerly rotate the pin so that the safety pin is in alignment and the trigger releases, in doing this; it is quite possible that the safety will come out of the side of the trigger... Then you have a problem!
You either need to have specialized tools to re-install it, or send it back to the factory.
Even if you have the specialized tools... it's a PITA job to perform.
I just let mine fall out, and never re-installed it.
I have other firearms that do not have "safety's"... this is now just another one....
You would think that the manufacturer would address this problem....

Just my 2-cents.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts