Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a brand new sporter and when I got it home, I have a figment problem. The barrel and receiver rock fore and aft in the factory stock. I tightened down the mounting screw but still rocks back and forth. Probably an 1/8th to a 1/4 of an inch of slop. I have wanted a sporter for 35 years since my father bought his. It just seemed like the nicest most well built classic looking rifle and after all this time I am soooo disappointed. It was a toss up between this rifle and a Henry yellow boy. The 1022 rattles back and forth like a piece of junk. Anybody have any solutions or do I have to sell this rifle and buy the Henry?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Not sure what the problem is but even if you got a bad one I would have Ruger fix or peplace it. I used to sell firearms, stay away from the golden boy. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
If it rocks fore and aft when the take down screw is tight then the barrel must not be in contact with the fore end...

Is is possible they have decided to free float the barrel as of late...???

At any rate...it can all be resolved quickly and easily with masking tape...

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-rimfire/63736-10-22-quality.html?

In your case I would first determine if the barrel contacts the fore end when installed properly using the sheet of paper method...

My DSP was made in 1999... it has the old style aluminum trigger group... it the receiver was loose fit in the stock bed...when tightened down the barrel contacted the fore end and with two pressure points there was still a tad bit of fore aft but not much...

I shimmed the side and rear receiver bed walls with masking tape for a nice snug fit and the barrel centered in the channel...that took care of 99% of the problem until I changed it to a floated .920 barrel...

At that point in both the factory and aftermarket stocks I use I had to shim with tape under the v-block as well to eliminate the rocking completely...

If the side and rear walls have no slop and the barrel is contact with the fore end the bottom of the receiver does not have to contact the bed to prevent movement...

If your DSP is supposed to have the barrel contact the fore end which is how they used to be...and it doesn't...you have to assume that section of the stock where the take down section of the receiver is too high relative to the bed and the fore end...

You have several options... including sending it to Ruger... However...IMO...it is faster/easier/better to fix it myself...if I can...

You can shim or pillar bed the receiver and leave the barrel free floated (that is what I would prefer myself)

You can use blue masking tape to shim the bed side and rear walls and shim under the v-block (to make it flush with receiver)...

And/OR... use tape to shim under the barrel until contact is made...

The tape is fast, easy, basically free and last a long time...is easily removed and/or redone later...

------------------

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-rimfire/59282-factory-sporter-stock-modified-920-barrel.html?

----------------------

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
This is the second thread this week about poor fitting stocks on 10/22 both from Wisconsin. Maybe a bad batch? I think I would be calling Ruger.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think he said it's rocking fore and aft, not up and down. With the mounting screw threading through both an escutcheon and the receiver it shouldn't be allowed to move at all once tightened down. Look and see if the escutcheon in the wood is moving as well.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Out of curiosity, what's wrong with the goldenboy?

If you don't mind my asking.
Nothing if you have a newer one. I have friends with them and have shot newer ones. The quality has gone up at Henry. When their lever action rifles first came out (years ago)- not very good.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
OP, a phone call to Ruger will sort it for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems to rock like a teeter totter with the area where the mounting screw goes in acting as the fulcrum. if i push don on the barrel near the front end of the stock it moves down an eighth of an inch and the back of the reciever goes up in the stock and vise versa. I put a thin piece of cardboard under the barrel just in front of the mounting bolt and it seemed to solve the problem although im not much for such a hillbilly repair. does this mean the barrel is contacting the stock closer to the reciever end? I can see light between the sides of the reciever and the stock.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
It seems to rock like a teeter totter with the area where the mounting screw goes in acting as the fulcrum. if i push don on the barrel near the front end of the stock it moves down an eighth of an inch and the back of the reciever goes up in the stock and vise versa. I put a thin piece of cardboard under the barrel just in front of the mounting bolt and it seemed to solve the problem although im not much for such a hillbilly repair. does this mean the barrel is contacting the stock closer to the reciever end? I can see light between the sides of the reciever and the stock.
Sounds like a high spot? Still think I would call Ruger maybe they'll crack down on their QC?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts