Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you guys get your brass from[?] Me I scourge it where ever I can find it. I have bought a couple thousand rounds off e-bay. I also bought a 1000 rds off a guy in Tampa. I got over 8lbs of powder, and I am going to get a few thousand bullets this weekend. I just got a feeling that things might get hard to come by if we really go to war. Are you a pack rat like me or have you got a different system worked out[?] Tell us[?][8D]

:)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've been buying used .45 acp brass pretty cheaply at a local gun shop from time to time and have accumulated a pretty healthy pile, but nothing like you say you have.

My brother also gives me his once fired .45 acp and 9mm brass from his shooting sessions at an indoor range he shoots at.

I agree that these things will be harder to come by in time so get it while you can.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
I buy all my new brass direct from Starline. However, I am not above getting some range brass if it looks good.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I bought some offbrand .45 ACP brass from Midway that they were running a special on. If I had known that is was as good as it is, I would have bought more. I reuse all I can find when target practicing, and find stuff on sale.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I buy mine new from a lot of different places (whoever has it on sale). I've got around 30K rounds of different brass and I'm always looking for more. :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
i use range pickup, brass from friends, starline, or what ever is onsale, ill keep it in batches for rifle but the pistol stuff is all mixed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I scrounge range brass. A couple of friends give me their once fired brass. When I see a really good deal I'll buy it. What I don't use I trade with another shooting buddy for the stuff he don't use. What neither he nor I can use I just let it accumulate, I figure sooner or later I might need it or can trade it.

Right now its all packed away since I relocated back to Oklahoma 3 years ago. This fall I plan on building a new reloading bench in the garage.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
When go to Sportsman Warehouse I will sometimes buy 100 or 200 rnds of 45 colt brass. Currently about 1400. Get my 444 marlin brass from Midway and fired store bought. Get my 45-70 from used store bought. Will start reloading 38 spec when I get dies.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yesterday I noticed Sportsman Whse had more winchester brass than their remington. A little cheaper too. My brass inventory is in good shape except for 45-70 which will improve as I fire more factory loads.

·
Registered
557 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Ledberel

quote:Originally posted by 2400

......I've got around 30K rounds of different brass.....
You could start your own business with that much brass.
Probably, but then where would I get my brass? :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
I use range brass, I shoot at an outdoor range and most of the people that shoot there are slobs and leave a huge mess! Which works great for me, I dont have a press just yet but have access to one so Im really stocking up! I have a tumbler, and a couple of dies sets and quick change heads that Ii use on my buddies Dillon 550. I will be getting one very soon. I think I got about 15k of various brass, I have a 7 yr old son who loves to help pick it up for me at the range lol!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Starline is my favorite...also use empties from my own gun with factory loads. To me it is just not worth the risk with scrounging brass at the range. Of course if some one wants to donate 45ACP that goes in their gun new and pops out used while I'm standing next to them...well I'll certainly oblige!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I use some range brass, but only after a inspection with a magnifying glass. I keep all my brass from factory loads & buy new brass from time to time. I just started reloading again, so I have quite a supply of 45 & 9mm brass on hand.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
They had a good buy on Starline brass yesterday at the gunshow. I have very little .38 Spec. brass but I'm not loading it yet. Need dies. Ihave a lot of factory 45-70s I can load after I shoot them, but the shooting is slow, guess I'll have to get a shoulder pad, not the kind you put on the stock but the kind you wear.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Are you talking about a Past pad?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I just saw them within the past few years at Sportsman Whse. You just put your arm thru them and tie. That 45-70 is so beautiful I don't want to change anything on it. Does that sound like a past pad I don't know ?

·
Registered
557 Posts
quote:Originally posted by white dog

I just saw them within the past few years at Sportsman Whse. You just put your arm thru them and tie. That 45-70 is so beautiful I don't want to change anything on it. Does that sound like a past pad I don't know ?
Yup, they work well. Try one I think you'll like it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Thanks 2400. I like shooting my big bore levers but can only take so much of a beating. I've got a good butt pad on my .444 marlin and its fairly comfortable to shoot. the 45-70 with the metal butt plate limits me to just a few shots with it when I go out. I'll buy the pad, thanks.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Guys, I've always thought the gun was to hurt the OTHER guy with-.44 Mag handguns and 30.06 rifles---not me. 308 and .41 Mag light load are about my limit-.44 Mag in rifle is ok--respect you guys who shoot .06 and .45-70 and .444 but I'm just not there-same with 3" Mags in 12 ga.--I'm just a sissy!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.