Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brass

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  mwl1955 
#1 ·
I was just curious as I can't remember for sure. My department shoots .40 cal. All the brass get's thrown away (recylced someplace as they don't reload). Most of the "Brass" is silver (Nickel?) and I seem to remember someone telling me you can't reload the "Silver" brass. I was wondering if this is true?

Also, how many times can a case be reloaded? Is there a certain number of times or does it depend on measurements?

Just trying to figure out all this stuff before I start spending money. I may look into getting all the excess .40 cal brass!
Thanks,
Dan'o :}

#4 ·
quote:Originally posted by mwl1955

Nickle or silver brass should be reloadable. The only ones that I know of that are not reloadable are CCI Blazer and any steel brass (like Wolf Ammunition).
You're speaking about the brass in the Blazer Brass 230 gr FMJ rounds that Wal-Mart sells? Dang! I've saved five or six hundred of those just in case I ever get into reloading... (I could have sworn that a friend of mine reloaded some of those that I gave him, as that's all that I ever shoot in my .45)

Amistad

#5 ·
quote:Originally posted by Amistad

quote:Originally posted by mwl1955

Nickle or silver brass should be reloadable. The only ones that I know of that are not reloadable are CCI Blazer and any steel brass (like Wolf Ammunition).
You're speaking about the brass in the Blazer Brass 230 gr FMJ rounds that Wal-Mart sells? Dang! I've saved five or six hundred of those just in case I ever get into reloading... (I could have sworn that a friend of mine reloaded some of those that I gave him, as that's all that I ever shoot in my .45)

Amistad
I suppose it's possible. I have never tried it. My thought is that reloaded CCI blazer brass would not be very durable. You might only get one or two loads out of it.

#9 ·
Nickle brass is very reloadable, I use it mainly for +P in autos or for hunting/carry loads in revolvers. It is a lot more brittle than brass and doesn't seem to last as long,(number of reloadings), but it does make for some pretty ammo... :D

#12 ·
I'll have to check with my academy and see if they allow us to grab a bunch of casings. Only problem I can see is that if we could, I'm sure the officers in the area that reload would have scooped it up by now. But with the amount of rounds they shoot at the academy, maybe there's just tons of it!
Dan'o :}

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.