Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to need some 45 LC & APC brass. Is it best to buy ammo, shoot it and reload, buy new brass or buy once fired?

Looking on the net the biggies, Cabelas and Midway, have the exact same prices for their brass. Any suggestions where to save money?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
as far as obtaining brass, all of the above.

Always a good source of brass is an outdoor range where lots of folks just let it lay.

Take a shooting buddy with you also that has a 45 and gather his brass as well if he don't want it.

I've seen some better deals at gun shows from time to time. Hit them up on a Sunday about an hour before they close the show--may be a bit hungry about then and read to come down a little in price.

From what i've seen, it ain't gonna do noting but get higher!!!
as far as new brass, better buys are in bulk. check out starline--by the thousand is better priced
http://starlinebrass.com/

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
When you buy range brass you don't know what you are getting. Buy from a reputable source.
At the range I pick up my brass unless it is worn out... I let some one else pick that up!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,684 Posts
Once fired 45 ACP brass is fairly easy to find and is a bargan compared to new brass. You will have a hard time finding once fired 45 Colt brass. Seems many 45 Colt shooters also reload. I highly recommend Starline brass too. It's a bit cheaper than other brands and the quality is better. A bag of 500 should last you for a long long time.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Starline prices look good but I am thinking of waiting until the next gun show here in PHX and buy 250 rds "Factory New 45 Long Colt 250gr RNFP" for about 72 bucks from Miwall Corp. Have bought a bunch of ammo from them and never had one refuse to bang yet. Will then have my own once fired brass and have had the fun of doing the once firing.

BTW. How much brass and or ammo is "good" to have on hand? I get to the range about twice a weekand shoot up 200-250 rounds max per trip of various sizes. It looks like by reloading and being able to expierement with various weights and loads there is a potential for loading and keeping on hand a lot of rounds.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I have about 300 rounds of 38 special and about 600 rounds of .357 magnum right now. I also have about 1100 rounds of .22 lr and 300 rounds of .22 mag. I pick it up whenever I find it on sale. Mostly Blazer and American Eagle. As you know I don't reload yet. When I start I'll probably keep around 300-500 rounds of each caliber I shoot. Then if I feel like shooting a few hundred rounds on a whim, I'm all set. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.