Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW! What a great forum. I have not put any rounds through my new pistol. My father in law, who bought the same pistol last month, tells me to put several hundred higher quality runds through the pistol first...something like CCI...before a bulk ammo like Federal or Remington. What should I do? I have already taken it apart and cleaned it and re-assembled it...but I am holding off on shooting it. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have shot a little bit of cci mini mags through it but shooting bulk will be fine. Most SR22s will eat anything. Mine personally doesn't like federal bulk but once you find what it likes keep shooting that.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
You're gonna love it.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
WOW! What a great forum. I have not put any rounds through my new pistol. My father in law, who bought the same pistol last month, tells me to put several hundred higher quality runds through the pistol first...something like CCI...before a bulk ammo like Federal or Remington. What should I do? I have already taken it apart and cleaned it and re-assembled it...but I am holding off on shooting it. Any recommendations?
Several. 1st off mine loves Federal bulk & it's all I run in it & have since day 1, & many others on here say it works for them also.

2. Make sure the recoil spring is fastened to the recoil rod. There are several post on this subject.

3. If you have not already, make sure the barrel hold down screw is tight, and check it after the 1st few 100 rounds. This was an early release problem that a few reported, but I believe Ruger has taken care of it.

4. Some also had minor scratching on the slide(aluminum) from the slide lock(steel) for most it is a cosmetic issue as you do not see it when the pistol is assembled, but it is something to look for. If it occurs, a couple passes on the slide lock with a jewelers file can take the sharp edge off.

5. Enjoy it cause it is a lot of fun!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Take his advice. My SR22 didn't like Federal American Eagle bulk, lots of fail to feed and fire. Thunderbolts were ok but really leaded up the barrel. CCI Stingers, Velociters and Remington Golden bullets ran great. I still have about a hundred rounds of the Federal that I'll try next time to see if a "break in" was necessary. If you try Federal buy or borrow as little as you can to see if your gun hates them as much as mine did.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Several. 1st off mine loves Federal bulk & it's all I run in it & have since day 1, & many others on here say it works for them also.

2. Make sure the recoil spring is fastened to the recoil rod. There are several post on this subject.

3. If you have not already, make sure the barrel hold down screw is tight, and check it after the 1st few 100 rounds. This was an early release problem that a few reported, but I believe Ruger has taken care of it.

4. Some also had minor scratching on the slide(aluminum) from the slide lock(steel) for most it is a cosmetic issue as you do not see it when the pistol is assembled, but it is something to look for. If it occurs, a couple passes on the slide lock with a jewelers file can take the sharp edge off.

5. Enjoy it cause it is a lot of fun!
Thank you for the detailed reply!

·
Registered
275 Posts
The first time out with mine I tried 3 different brands of ammo. I only had an issue with the CCI ammo. I had one failure to feed. Had zero issues with Blazer, and zero issues with thunderbolts. I say try the cheap ones first and work your way up if you have issues. These guns are really fun to shoot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

The first time out with mine I tried 3 different brands of ammo. I only had an issue with the CCI ammo. I had one failure to feed. Had zero issues with Blazer, and zero issues with thunderbolts. I say try the cheap ones first and work your way up if you have issues. These guns are really fun to shoot.
Thanks for the response. I have a couple of questions. 1st--what does the ranking mean next to everyone's name on the forum, and 2nd-is the sr22 forum for rifles or for the sr22 pistol...and how do you join one of them? Thank you.

·
Registered
356 Posts
You've already done the most important part -- cleaning it up before your first trip to the range.

I took mine out to carefully break it in when I got it. At least that was my intent. I had 100 CCI mini-mags. They went away in about a half hour, followed by a 325 round box followed by a 525 round box. Then I put another couple of boxes of Mini-mags through it (someone came back from getting lunch and brought more ammo). After about 2 hours, the gun was broken in.

The only advice I can give you on break-in is to take along a lot more ammo than you think you will use, and take along a simple cleaning kit to sorta wipe it down after the first couple hundred rounds or so.

You're going to like it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Put another 400+ rounds thru my SR22 yesterday. Was using the Federal 325 box and Remington goldens. No ftf's or fte's other than the 1 CCI 22lr shotshell I put thru it. I don't think there's enough umph to eject it. Did the same thing on my son's Charger. It did spray the target with a bunch of pin holes. :D I wasn't a big fan of the SR22 when I first saw them with the small grip on it. Once I changed it out, and the mag base plate, it felt much better! Awesome plinker thats affordable to shoot.

·
Registered
223 Posts
winchester bulk

my sr22 wont work with federal bulk but loves the winnie bulk. experiment with different ammo and then stick with what ever runs the best. my LITE loves federal bulk but wont run on winnie at all! go figure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts