Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have plans to go and shoot in a few weeks and it will be the first time i put a round threw the 762. I read somewhere awhile back i need to clean the barrel after every shot for the first 25 rounds. also do you run your 762 wet or dry? Any other tips would be great.

·
One more gun
316 Posts
Clean the chamber first and make sure there is no gunk or shavings in the action. Then make sure the bolt is oiled and blast away. I don't think it's necessary to clean it after every shot, I didn't and mine worked perfectly. Just clean it at the end of the session.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Clean the chamber first and make sure there is no gunk or shavings in the action. Then make sure the bolt is oiled and blast away. I don't think it's necessary to clean it after every shot, I didn't and mine worked perfectly. Just clean it at the end of the session.
Perfect

I clean my lower by just dry wiping the inside and I vacuum it out with a Bristol attachment.

I use Remington bore cleaner and M-Pro 7 oil.

If you have the SR I clean the gas port assembly after every 1000 round.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
It's really up to you how you break it in and how much time you are willing to spend. I know people that do that for 50 rounds, then do it every 2 rounds for 50, then every 5 rounds for another 50, then every 10 rounds for another 50 rounds. That also helps to gradually heat temper the barrel over a longer period of time. The cleaning helps polish the bore, but I think the gradual heat tempering does more for the barrel overall.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Best advice so far: CLEAN THE GUN BEFORE YOUR FIRST RANGE VISIT. Second: DON"T USE THE CHEAPEST, POS AMMO YOU CAN FIND.

THere's no set method for 'breaking in' the barrel. As far as I know, Uncle Sam doesn't bother with this bit of folklore. With today's metals and manufacturing abilities I consider it a thing of the past. But of course it's your gun, do as you please. If all else fails, RTFM.

Oil? You're going to get A LOT of posts on this because everybody does it different. Probably one consistent point they will make is that ARs like to be wet, not dripping of course, but unlike pistols, everything likes to be coated.

Use a good GUN oil and you should be fine. I think there's more difference in hype than actual contents but again, it's up to you. For God's sake, use GUN oil though.

Me, I'm a Froglube guy for my ARs.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Best advice so far: CLEAN THE GUN BEFORE YOUR FIRST RANGE VISIT. Second: DON"T USE THE CHEAPEST, POS AMMO YOU CAN FIND.
THere's no set method for 'breaking in' the barrel. As far as I know, Uncle Sam doesn't bother with this bit of folklore. With today's metals and manufacturing abilities I consider it a thing of the past. But of course it's your gun, do as you please. If all else fails, RTFM.

Oil? You're going to get A LOT of posts on this because everybody does it different. Probably one consistent point they will make is that ARs like to be wet, not dripping of course, but unlike pistols, everything likes to be coated.

Use a good GUN oil and you should be fine. I think there's more difference in hype than actual contents but again, it's up to you. For God's sake, use GUN oil though.

Me, I'm a Froglube guy for my ARs.
Mine was a bit ammo finicky on initial break-in and also liked the heavier (168gr.) bullets better. It has improved greatly after a thousand rounds, but I'm still finicky about the ammo I shoot and stay away from the (dirty) cheap junk. Frog Lube has also served me well over the years. I also clean after every shooting session. But I do that with anything I shoot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have read where they suggest a barrel break in of running a brush through the barrel after every shot for the first ten shots that I have a hard time seeing what that would effect with a chrome lined barrel (the chrome is extremely hard, much - much harder that any brush you would use). As far a making sure the bolt is well oiled, remember that this bolt is chrome plated and that plating is extremely hard. I would not over oil the bolt, if anything use only a light coating.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Clean thoroughly before firing, as stated above.

Lube well.

I do not subscribe to the clean after 10/20/50... rounds.

I clean it when I get home from the range. Every time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The 50-40-30-20-10-whatever seems like so much voo-doo superstition to me.

I got a new .308 for a certain class I had to take, and I only had time to punch the bore and wipe down the bolt before the class started. With my hand-loaded ammo that I already had on hand for my M1A - 168gr SMKs over IMR 4064 and Federal Match primers - that rifle (M700 SPS) shot sub-minute right out of the box. No goofy rituals to make that gun shoot!

At the end of the first shooting day I gave the bore a good cleaning. The next day the cold bore was way off. I soon realized that for consistent cold bore shots it was best to leave the bore uncleaned from the day before!

When I'm finished with a particular firearm, I punch the bore with an oil patch and leave it wet for corrosion resistance. Then when I'm getting ready to take it to the range again, I'll punch the bore with a dry patch. My rifles have always been pretty darn accurate and reliable with that method of "cleaning," as it were.

·
Registered
375 Posts
For clarification did you mean an SR-762?

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Shoot clean, shoot clean, whatever the number is has little to do with the barrel and more to do about something else.........;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't mean to interrupt your cleaning procedures, but I am looking to purchase a new Ruger mini thirty tactical S/S # 5868 and it seems that everyplace that I check they want to put me on a waiting list, it doesn't mater weather I'm looking for a mini 14 or a mini thirty, has anybody heard anything about when Ruger will be filling all there orders.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would highly recommend you read my reply on your other misplaced post and stop hijacking every thread you get to.

Reactions: True Grit
1 - 13 of 13 Posts