Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally able to rescue my 3" GP from the dealer. The only advantage to the 10 day waiting period here in CA is that I was able to pick up all the paperwork, use the cool Ruger 20% coupon to order my grips, and have them waiting for the gun to come home. By the way, for those of you who don't live behind enemy lines, this is the only 3" model that is on our roster.

One note - in September I purchased the Compact Grips for my older 6" GP-100. When I installed the grips on the 3" I found that the grip screw included was not the correct part. I haven't had a chance to check but suspect maybe it's the screw for the full size Letts grips. It was .125" longer and since the head of the screw is also thinner, the end result was the screw coming out the other side of the grip far enough to hit my hand. I called Ruger and they left me on hold for a bit... I was beginning to think they forgot about me but turns out they were actually going though available spare parts to see if they had one on hand. They did not, but put one on order immediately, gave me a name and number to call if I didn't see it by the end of next week. I thought that was pretty good customer service for a part that probably costs $1.

Anyway, here it is, and another shot with it's big brother. Will have it to the range Tuesday.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Nice! I love both guns and i really like that half lug on the 6" i have to get me a gp soon if i could just bring myself to part with one of my single actions

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I have to give my dad credit; he gave me the 6" GP when I first entered the Marine Corps - will soon be 30 years old. It gets quite a few thumbs up from other shooters.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Congrats on a fine 3" GP100...beautiful with the smaller Lett grip with wood panels! I, too, prefer the smaller Lett grips...fits my smaller hands great!

FYI... XS Sight Systems, Inc. - Main Page makes an excellent tritium front sight for the fixed-sight GP's...I have ine on my 4" version (see Avatar) and works wonders in low/no light shooting!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FYI... XS Sight Systems, Inc. - Main Page makes an excellent tritium front sight for the fixed-sight GP's...I have ine on my 4" version (see Avatar) and works wonders in low/no light shooting!
Thank you! Not sure where I will go with the front sight. It's going to get a little paint job tomorrow; I blackened the rear sight tonight and that helped pick up the contrast on the fixed sight quite a bit. We'll see how the cheap and easy route works first.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Nice pics, and really like that half-lug 6". That's the one that has eluded me all these years.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Thank you! Not sure where I will go with the front sight. It's going to get a little paint job tomorrow
That's what I did with my FS model 1722 and it works pretty well. I'm just gonna leave it that way. I got an adjustable model 1708 that I can tinker with sights. :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
The Meprolight night sight for the old Ruger P89 is supposed to fit in the slot for the 3"FS GP100.

The Meprolight night sight is square in profile and has a nice bright isotope glowing. Might check that one out if you want night sights!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nice new GP!

In spite of my oft-stated preference for velocity increasing long barrels, I think I will start saving for a clone of your new gun. Your picture did it.

The short barrel, and compact grip make me think I will grind off the hammer spur, and make it even smaller. For whatever reason, as barrels get shorter, I move from SA to DA use anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice new GP!

The short barrel, and compact grip make me think I will grind off the hammer spur, and make it even smaller. For whatever reason, as barrels get shorter, I move from SA to DA use anyway.
I may do the same. I'm going to run through some defensive shooting drills with it at the range and depending on how that goes, I may go the full monty towards concealability and have it converted to DAO plus some dehorning.

Hoping to get it to the range tomorrow. I was targeting Tuesday but then work got in the way... darn work.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Nice!! Have fun today! You 6" 1/2 lug is awesome! I have the Blued version, but have not been able to find the SS version yet.

Enjoy!

Matt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts