Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an older ruger blackhawk 357
it is a 3 screw model
many years ago i returned the pistol to ruger for the safety upgrade.

last saturday, i loaded teh pistol and started to cock the hammer. the gun hung up. the firing pin stays out. teh bar starts to raise and hits the bottom of the firing pin.

if i raise the barrel straight up and then cock it, it works fine as the bar falls back and clears teh pin.

i can push in the pin and cock the hammer all works well.

so the pin is sticking? the bar has a broken spring?

i added oilk to the pin to see if this may help if this should be in?

any suggestions????

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Give Ruger a call. I'm sure they'll make it right.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,089 Posts
uglybear, Very simple problem common to all Ruger SAs .... your base pin is not fully latched or the plunger in the rear of the base pin has stuck (dried oil).

Here's the drill ... the rear end of the base pin has a small spring loaded plunger. The purpose of the plunger is to push the transfer bar to the rear when cocking so it won't stub on the firing pin. If the base pin isn't fully seated or if the plunger is stuck, it will cause your exact problem. If the base pin is indeed fully seated and the transfer bar still stubs, just pull the base pin out and soak the back end in some powder solvent. This will loosen up oil that turned gummy. You may have to use a tool to push the plunger in multiple times to get solvent inside the plunger hole and free it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts