Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question , can a bronze bore brush damage/ scratch a rifles bore?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Over the years I have used bronze brushes on all my firearms and have yet to see any damage.
Same here. Only reason I ask is a friend at the range said he only uses bore mops and brushes can scratch the bore. I replied a bronze brush shouldn't be an issue.
But just want some expert opinions anyway.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Funny, I hate mops. I find they will hold lead in them after a while. My routine is a bronze brush for heavy fouling. Nylon brush for light fouling, and patch and jags for cleaning. Really dislike patch holders as I keep seeing people 2 stroke them and move dirt back down the barrel. The only thing that makes me cringe more us cleaning from the muzzle without crown protection.

Now, snakes I am slowly warming up to, find them really helpful to do a quick clean before leaving the range. And on a few items that get questionable when they start fouling I find it lets me have more range time. But, they are also worked in direction of travel, never against the current.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I use bronze for carbon, but I like nylon for copper, (helps eliminate a false positive).

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,369 Posts
I use bronze bore brushes when cleaning all my rifles and handguns. Some of my guns have highly polished bores and when I inspect them using my borescope camera, I can't see the slightest indication of scratches. Stainless steel bore brushes can indeed scratch bores / chambers. I also use nylon brushes when I use Sweet's 7.62 copper remover.

Oddly enough, you are more likely to get scratches from a bore snake or bore mop because they will retain very abrasive burnt powder residue (carbon). These snakes or mops need to be cleaned with solvent after each use, just to be safe. I also keep a baby food jar on my bench with water and Dawn dishwashing detergent to soak my bore brushes. Once the solvent has been removed, the brushes last a long time.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Simple question , can a bronze bore brush damage/ scratch a rifles bore?
.......A rifle bore will wear out a bronze brush though. You think it’s doing it’s job but it’s only hitting the tops and not getting in the valleys. When it starts feeling to easy I toss it and break out a new one. Now If my next caliber down is close enough, guess what I’m doing with the old bronze brush........

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,369 Posts
guess what I’m doing with the old bronze brush.
Brushing your tooth? :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use a bronze brush alot, even though I'm younger, lol. Actually, for my Ruger 77/357, which sees alot of cast bullets (I just get close to correct BHN because it's mostly sub loads, poor thing), I use chore boy 100% copper scrubbers cut into pieces and wrapped around a brass brush. Cleans the heck out of that barrel. But have never noticed any change in the barrel.

Heck, I once had a stuck bullet, totally used the brass scrubber to pound it out, didnt have a wood dowel, no damage. I will never do it again, but I was a noob, and it happens.

You have to think, rifles were made to shoot copper jacketed bullets that scrape along the barrel with extreme heat and pressure up against the lands. Probably way more than what we could do by hand, or even with a brush chucked in a drill (seen this done, too). And enter lead free bullets, whatever they're made out of, I'd have to assume its stronger than copper, as a 9mm Civil Defense liberty will go through a IIIA vest, while a jacketed bullet wont, and not just because of speed, either. And, let's say you clean your rifle in some harsh way. If it's as harsh as a bullet, and the barrel is said to go, let's say 10k rounds. Are you gonna clean it 10k times? Maybe 100 times? Ok, worry about 1% of barrel life. Youd have to work hard I think to do that though, like clean with sand, steal brush in a drill kinda hard, IMHO.

As long as you stay away from steel, I think you're good to go. That's just my opinion though, I'm no metallurgist.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for that post. Pretty new to the sport and been cleaning MK IV religiously, and worry about damaging the bore or rifling. I should probably relax.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Interesting!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for confirming what I thought as well... couldn't understand how a soft brass brush could damage steel. I only use a brass brush a couple times a year, purely because I don't think a deep clean is necessary every time I clean my pistol. I do use patches and cleaning fluid (Hoppes 9) every time.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,775 Posts
Thanks for the tip Iowegan regarding mops and soaking bore brushes! Always had a hard time keeping them free of carbon and particulates.
* from Iowegan.."I also keep a baby food jar on my bench with water and Dawn dishwashing detergent to soak my bore brushes. Once the solvent has been removed, the brushes last a long time."
Thanks Mark204 Just started to replace worn bronze brushes and get better results now
* from Mark204. "A rifle bore will wear out a bronze brush though. You think it’s doing it’s job but it’s only hitting the tops and not getting in the valleys. When it starts feeling to easy I toss it and break out a new one. Now If my next caliber down is close enough, guess what I’m doing with the old bronze brush."

·
Premium Member
14,076 Posts
Use a bronze brush all the time and have not had any blemish on the barrel face or any other place it is used.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Some rimfire barrels are very soft steel. Not Rockwell HRC but HRB. SOME bronze brushes can damage these barrels.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts