Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The UPS man dropped off my new bottle today.

I have never used it before, and was wondering if any of you fine folks had tried it, and if so how, how did you like it?

Any tips would be appreciated. I have used the Birchwood Casey kit before, and it is a pain in the back side, and didn't seem to hold up that well.

Thanks!

-John

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used Oxpho-Blue paste to blue a Ruger cylinder and it worked great. I had to put on several coats, but it looked very good (for cold blue). Just follow the instructions on the bottle and it should work very good.

·
Banned
700 Posts
You should be happy with it, though I favor the BC Super Blue slightly.
The Oxy is easier to work with but is a little slower and takes a few more applications than the BC.
Tip: Try heating up the surface to be blued. It helps me.

SD

·
Registered
219 Posts
Johngoboom
Let us know how it works for ya. I have a bottle that hasn't been opened yet. Agree with you about Birchwood Casey, a lot of work for marginal results.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used the paste Oxpho Blue to do a post 64 M94 Winchester reciever that is supposed to very difficult to blue. Came out looking like a new rifle. Seems to be holding well also....Jack

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use it to touch-up holster rub and timing (or incorrect timing) rings on my blued handguns. Also use it when I shorten or just clean-up the crown on my long guns. Nothing but praise here.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I did a Ruger cylinder this afternoon. It worked great. Make sure the metal is clean. I wiped with laquer thinner and used rubber gloves. It took 4 coats but I am pleased with the results. Shine with steel wool between coats.

JRB

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would also like to hear how it turns out. I have used the Birchwood Casey stuff with very poor results. I have a rifle that I would like to a small touch up on from where a scope base used to be if it works. I won't waste my time with the Birchwood Casey again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Van's Instant Gun Blue

I just used Van's Instant Gun Blue and all I can say is WOW.

I used it to do a touch up on my S&W 29-2 barrel and it blended perfectly with the existing bluing. You can't even tell that a touch up was done. Beautiful.

Easy to use and competitively priced.

Thanks for the link rugeraddict!

:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts