Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just curiosity, as I've never done this to any of my weapons and at this time have no intention to do so. -Though I'm considering trying it on a homemade knife (as soon as I get around to making another knife).

Anyway, browning weapons recently came up in a conversation I was having in my friend's junk store/pawn shop. No one in the conversation had ever done it or seen a weapon it had been done to. But it got my curiosity going about it again (long ago I considered trying it on a .22 - I re blued it instead).

My only knowledge of browning comes from reading an article about it many years ago. I don't remember what the article was in. It could have been in a book or in a bound magazine. I do remember that I found the article after performing a search in a library (this was before the internet).

My slight understanding of browning (from this article) is that it predates blueing and was once the preferred method of finishing the metal of rifles.

The way they did this (again from the article) was to put a mild acid on the weapon for a short period of time so that it develops a fine rust. Then they arrested the development of more rust and oiled the weapon. The coating of fine iron oxide on the metal, like blueing, somehow keeps the weapon from developing more rust and pitting.

Has anyone done this? Or do you have any knowledge about it?

·
Registered
388 Posts
There are several threads on rust bluing. Do a search on that and see if it is the same process. It sounds like what you are asking about.

·
Registered
555 Posts
GONRA's suggests www.Brownells.com .
Might try: Item 167-000-002WB Birchwood Casey "Plum Brown".

Remember to take any handling warnings seriously.
Depending on what’s in the Magic Potion, MIGHT see stuff like:
skin poisons: eye and hand/skin protection
poison gas fumes: use OUTSIDE,

In any event, keep the Wife, 3 kids , 2 cats and the hamster inside.

Remember a friend in 1960’s who didn’t wear hand/skin protection –
Hada splitting headache all night. (Could have been FAR WORSE!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts