Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have the itch for a .22 lever rifle. Right now, Browning has a $100 rebate which would bring a BL-22 grade 1 down in the $270 range, about the same price as a Henry.

Like most guys, I like a nice looking gun, and the BL is a good looking gun, whereas the Henry is plain jane. I've shot a Henry and the action was butter smooth, the trigger was very nice, and accuracy was very good. I've not yet shot a Browning, but I've read the trigger can be heavy and the accuracy not the best (2-3" at 50yds).

Besides a being a plinker, I will probably use it to embarrass myself at my clubs falling steel plate matches. The quick cycling of the Browning will help with my times, but the heavy trigger and supposed accuracy issues may not.

Does anyone have experience with both rifles that could give some opinions and advice. Of course, the best answer is to just buy both. While that is in the budget I 'd have to sleep with one eye open if I walked in the house with two new rifle in front of the wife for fear she'd club me with one of them. :D

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
The Henry H001 is made in USA, has a really smooth action and a pretty nice trigger. It is easy to maintain, and is easy to take apart and put back together. The Henry has American walnut stocks and a nice blued barrel. The receiver is an alloy “skeleton” with an alloy receiver cover over it. The cover is painted black. Henry has the best customer service in the business, possibly equaled only by Ruger.

The Browning is currently made by Miroku in Japan. They used to be made in Belgium. It has walnut stocks, and the barrel and receiver are blued steel. The triggers on the BL-22’s tend to be mediocre at best. The Browning is easy to take apart, but putting it back together has driven a number of owners to seriously consider suicide. Re-assembly can be trickier than putting a Ruger Mark I, II or III back together.

If I could only have one? I’d choose the Henry. It just works better. If aesthetics are really important to you, the Browning would be the first choice, as it has a steel receiver. A steel receiver is not necessary on a .22 rifle, it’s just cooler. The Henry is made plenty strong.

Bottom line? Both are excellent. Can’t go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just re-read some of the adds and I discovered that I misread the price. The price shown included the $100 rebate. So, the browning is quite a bit more than the Henry.

Looks are not too important to me, actually, the reason I don't own any nice pretty guns is that I'm afraid of dinging them up. Heck, I even baby my stupid AR. If I ding the Henry I'd feel bad, if I dinged the browning it would drive me nuts!

The Henry is starting to look better.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I just re-read some of the adds and I discovered that I misread the price. The price shown included the $100 rebate. So, the browning is quite a bit more than the Henry.

Looks are not too important to me, actually, the reason I don't own any nice pretty guns is that I'm afraid of dinging them up. Heck, I even baby my stupid AR. If I ding the Henry I'd feel bad, if I dinged the browning it would drive me nuts!

The Henry is starting to look better.
They usually cost about $300 for the Classic, the H001. Try to find another American made gun with walnut stocks for that price.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thumbs up on the Henry! Don't get me wrong, I love Browning, but it feels some what awkward to me the way that the trigger group of the BL22 is part of the lever, where as every Henry I've handled has felt like a classic lever gun with a buttery smooth action and very nice walnut stocks. The standard .22 Henry can be found around here at under 3 bills otd.
I currently have a standard, a youth, a magnum and a golden boy. With thousands of rounds down range the only thing that has happened was the loss of the front sight hood ( my fault ), which was fixed by an email to CS, and a free replacement in my mail box 3 days later.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
I really like my Henry Frontier Model .22LR very beautiful rifle. Very smooth action, I wouldn't say one rifle is better then the other. I think there are more choices in the Henry vs the Browning but I do like the steel receiver on the Browning.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I bought a new BL-22 about 8 years ago. Everything you hear about the trigger is true. The first time I tried to pull it, I thought for a second that the safety must be on. I had a smith that I know work on it and he was able to make it a little better. Most smith won't touch them. He took it apart and showed me the mechanics of it that allow the short lever throw... Like a Swiss watch.

Having said that, it is the prettiest gun in the safe. I ordered the plain-Jane, un-checkered model and I love the clean, classic lever action lines of the thing.
Mine is a safe queen and carefully handled plinker, that's fun to shot. Not a woods or hunting gun. I have a CZ and others for that... I probably ought to get me one of them there Henrys too. :D

Everyone ought to have at least one Browning. I got the 22 because it reminded me of the beautiful, Belgian made, 12 gauge side-by-side that I foolishly let slip through my fingers on a trade years ago. :(

Excuses me... I think I'll go fondle the BL for a minute ... Wipe it down, and just look at it. ;)

·
Registered
571 Posts
My vote would be for the Henry, in the Frontier model. Beautiful looking and shooting rifle.
Walnut stock, octogonal barrel, slick action. A homerun as far as a quality 22 lever rifle.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,000 Posts
I used to have a BL-22 Browning ... a very nice looking gun with a steel receiver. Accuracy wasn't bad but due to the short stroke lever, it jammed a lot and was very difficult to clear the jam. I got frustrated and sold the Browning. A few years later I bought a couple Henrys. The first was a "Golden Boy" .... pretty gun but it wasn't grooved for a scope so I sold it a few weeks later then bought a H001T and mounted a Nikon 4X rimfire scope. At first, accuracy really sucked ....it was hard pressed to maintain a 2 1/2" group at 25 yards .... over 6" at 50 yards. I tore the gun down and found a nasty burr in the aluminum "lifter" that was cutting into the soft lead bullets. Once I got the lifter smoothed out, it was reasonably accurate out to 50~60 yards.

My biggest complaint with Henrys .... the receiver is aluminum alloy with a removable aluminum cover. As such, the soft aluminum tends to scratch or ding easy and doesn't respond to cold bluing. I put a nasty gouge in the receiver cover last year when I moved and ended up ordering a new cover from the factory. If the receiver had been steel, it would not have sufferend any more that a light scratch. I still have the Henry but it wouldn't take much persuading to sell it. I have a Marlin 39A that I bought new in 1978. It functions flawless and shoots mighty fine groups out to 100 yards. I also have a couple Winchester Mod 9422s .... one in 22 LR the other in 22 Mag. Both are exceptional rifles. I guess my point is .... if you want a really good lever action 22 LR .... spend some $$$ and get a Marlin 39 or a Winchester 9422.

Here's my Henry H001T. It looks great but is a mediocre shooter:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Not on the list but my vote would be for a used Marlin 39A.

The Browning BL-22 has never really impressed me much. The action is undecidedly fast with its short throw and trigger moving with the lever. That trigger arrangement is problematic in terms achieving a good trigger pull.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
You know guy's the older rifles like the Winchester 9422 & Marlin 39A yes are better guns if you can find one for a decent price I would say buy it!!! I lucked out on my Henry Frontier .22 LR because I bought it like NIB for $300.00 plus its not a daily shooter its always been very good when I do get it out to use it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have both and like both...actually I shoot the Browning a little more ,mostly colibres from the back porch

·
Registered
47 Posts
i have shot a few levers along my path, and currently own a henry 22mag carbine, brother in law has a big boy 44mag, i have a big boy 357 on order. all i can say is i have never felt a smoother lever than a henry.

nothing against the browning, but a henry is as smooth as melted butter on hot biscuits

and how can you not like a octagon barrel :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to go with the Henry small game rifle or carbine when I decide to pull the trigger. It has everything I would want, large loop lever, skinner sights, octagonal barrel.

I plan on using it for plinking and shooting at my clubs falling plate shoots which we do at 15yds, so I don't think I really need the longer sight radius of the rifle, what do you all think?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to go with the Henry small game rifle or carbine when I decide to pull the trigger. It has everything I would want, large loop lever, skinner sights, octagonal barrel.

I plan on using it for plinking and shooting at my clubs falling plate shoots which we do at 15yds, so I don't think I really need the longer sight radius of the rifle, what do you all think?
I think you made a good choice. You might want to handle the octagonal Barrel a bit before you actually purchase it. I have an H003T pump Henry with an octagonal barrel and it is quite a bit muzzle heavy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts