Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
A decade or so ago, Kassnar Brothers Imports (KBI) of Harrisburg PA was importing from Hungary a perfect copy of the BHP. Parts interchangeability was 100%. At a gunshow in York, I bought one in 9mm and one in 40S&W, and they weren't too pricey, either. I traded off the 40 for a stainless Taurus 357 MAG, and though I like the Taurus, I DO miss the BHP-clone.

The only difference between the genuine and the copy was that the Hungarians sent these out with black injection-molded checkered grips - not wood.

I did, however, knock the staked-on blade front sight off, but was able to make a suitable replacement and silver-soldered it on.

Flash

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
hp

True. But the HP is in a different class; that of quality, pride of ownership, and history. A Chevy will get you where you want to go, but ( if you want to spend the dough) a Cadillac will get you there in style. And isn't that true of handguns in general ? :)
Agreed but if you can only afford a chevy it will get you home. Unrelated but I have put 100k miles on my chevy impala in 19 months.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Several years ago I had a Feg HP9 a Browning Hi Power clone pistol actually very nice. Well I did the magazine spring disconnect modification to lighten the trigger pull. Then I did something very stupid.........gave this beauty to my son!! He bought himself a Springfield 9mm cannot remember the Model but a compact model for a CCW gun. Well My Feg HP 9 has set in his closet for probably 12-15 years. I recently handed down to him his grandpa's pre 64 Winchester Model 70 .270 Winchester. I asked him if he still had my HP Clone he said yes, I asked him well do you ever use it he said nope......so I asked him well if you aren't going to use it then would you mind if I take he back. He said no problem. Well a few weeks ago I got this beauty back with the 3 original magazines. This gun still looks like new beautiful bluing etc. I did touch up the white dot sights with some white paint so they show up. Cannot wait to go out to shoot this pistol, I also have a 1911 officer's sized gun in 9mm to keep it company. Its sad to hear that Browning isn't going to make the Browning HP anymore such a great design!!! But I'm glad to have my Feg HP 9 back again!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
My long time gun friend volunteered to put in some Cylinder and Slide parts he thought I needed in one if my 1950s Hi Powers. I provided the parts and haven't seen the pistol in a year. I think he's going to keep it. I still have a backup Belgian Browning and the Israeli version. But I sold my Inglis to another friend. I think I should be more careful with friends and pistols.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts

·
Banned
51 Posts
Nothing like having 17+1 rounds of .45 ACP in one mag (+4 base plates) and a gun that is more controllable and faster to shoot (Glock 21).

The 1911 was obsolete in 1946. The high power became obsolete in the 1970's.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Perfection in steel and wood:) Left to right; '67 "T" series, '77 "C" series, '85 MKII

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Perfection in steel and wood:) Left to right; '67 "T" series, '77 "C" series, '85 MKII

Those are some fine looking pistols!

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,788 Posts
Nothing like having 17+1 rounds of .45 ACP in one mag (+4 base plates) and a gun that is more controllable and faster to shoot (Glock 21).

The 1911 was obsolete in 1946. The high power became obsolete in the 1970's.

If...if I bought a modern .45, which I doubt, it would be an M&P 2.0 or a PPQ. I shot both better than the Glock 30. Nothing wrong with it but I dislike the Glocks’ grip angle. The S&W has a perfect fit and the Walther a perfect trigger.

I prefer that to round count. If I need that many rounds, I will grab the AR.

·
Banned
51 Posts
If...if I bought a modern .45, which I doubt, it would be an M&P 2.0 or a PPQ. I shot both better than the Glock 30. Nothing wrong with it but I dislike the Glocks’ grip angle. The S&W has a perfect fit and the Walther a perfect trigger.

I prefer that to round count. If I need that many rounds, I will grab the AR.
Hands are different. Glock grip size and angle fit me perfectly. I have large palms and short fingers. The grip angle transfers the recoil into my shoulders and not my hands. That is why I can shoot faster than with a 1911. 1911's flop around in my hands.
1911's should still end production though.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
The beautiful thing about America is that we have a choice: 1911, HP35, or whatever else suits your fancy. Maybe even a little J-frame!

For me,(YMMV and that's okay), stopping production on 1911s because they are outdated technology is similar to throwing away your fine china because paper plates and plastic sporks are cheaper, more modern, and are more efficient....When I go to a picnic, I take paper and plastic. When I go to a restaurant I want porcelain plates and metal utensils.

Two different takes on how to feed oneself.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts