Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a mistake ordering some Tipton brushes recently. I selected nylon instead of the bronze ones I wanted. Are nylon brushes as effective as bronze? Rifle or pistol/revolver.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,355 Posts
Rugerfan57, Nylon bore brushes work just fine for scrubbing powder residue. They are not so great for removing lead fouling but are the best when using jacket solvent products such as Sweets 7.62. That's because the patch will turn blue if there is jacket fouling in the bore …. or if a bronze bore brush is used, you will get a false positive.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Iowegan is as so often true, right as rain.

About the Tipton wire brushes, if you got the set that covers a variety of bore sizes,
unless I'm badly mistaken, Tipton either coats those brushes and jags with something
that is supposed to prevent the false positive blue residue on the patch. I should add
that I have a set myself but have NOT yet tested this assertion myself for lack of an
opportunity this past month.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
About the Tipton wire brushes, if you got the set that covers a variety of bore sizes,
unless I'm badly mistaken, Tipton either coats those brushes and jags with something
that is supposed to prevent the false positive blue residue on the patch.
45flatop, your claim got me curious so I did a little research. I went to Battenfeld’s website, (they make Tipton), in the product description they make no claim their brushes or jags have a special coating.

I scrub for carbon with bronze, copper with nylon. I also replace my brushes once a year, personally I’ve found a worn out brush will still hit the high spot of the rifling but it’s not to good at getting in the valley.

I don’t use Tipton based on others experiences.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts