Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ran across this over on the Taurus forum and thought it was great.
Just wanted to share it.

"I bought a Buck knife the other day, the first Buck I"ve bought since I was probably a teenager. I open the box, and out falls the obligatory leaflet thats all folded up, and I'm expecting the usual "congratulations on buying our product" ramble....however, what I found was almost shocking. After the banner "A message from the Buck Family" there is a paragraph or two, then I come upon this:

Now that you are in the family, you might want to know a little more about our ogranization. The fantastic growth of Buck Knives, Inc. was no accident. From the beginning, management determined to make God the Senior Partner. In a crisis, the problem was turned over to Him, and He hasn't failed to help us with the answer.

Each knife must reflect the integrity of management, including our Senior Partner. If sometimes we fail on our end, because we are human, we find it imperative to do our utmost to make it right. Besides being our Senior Partner, He is also our Heavenly Father. It's a great blessing to us to have this security in these troubled times. If any of you are troubled or perplexed and looking for answers, may we invite you to look to Him, for God loves you. For God loved the world so much that He gave His only son; so that anyone who believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16.

I was amazed. In this day and time of political correctness, manger-scene uproar and 10 commandment removal from court houses and state capitals, this was very refreshing. After you are in the corporate world for as long as I have been, to see an openly Christian company that makes God central to their vision is a breath of fresh air.

I'll be buying Buck knives when I can from now on......... "

·
Registered
897 Posts
Companies like that are few and far between. Profit is the guiding principle, not being a good Christian and selling fine quality American made products. I own 2 Buck knives, my 110 has lasted me 25 years, and now I feel better about it. Thanks

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,482 Posts
Seems like ever time I go to a gun show, I end up buying a new knife. Lately I've been sadly disappointed with some of my purchases. Many "name brand" knives are now made in China to include Schrade, S&W, Colt, Remington, Winchester, Marble, and even Gerber. The knives look good, seem to function OK, and are nice and sharp but that faint "China" etched on the blade really pisses me off.

Last month I bought the Buck 2007 Classic Collector series knife set that includes a handsome single blade, a 2-blade, and a 3 blade pocket knife. They come in a pretty "Tin" that is also a nice display box. Under the insert was the same Product Warranty Registration paper that starts out with the same religious message from the Buck family. I was impressed until I looked closer. Yup, "Made in China" stamped on the blade. Though excellent quality, I was bummed. I thought they were made in the USA.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Good to know, like Iowegan I am getting sick of seeing made in China on everything. I will strongly consider a Buck the next time I buy a knife.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
China, the sleeping dragon has awakened.

Whose left in the USA? a large mainstream producer?

ain't k-bar as i've seen some of their folders with china on them.

So whose left? Case? Queen?

can't even find a good ole' boy inexpensive barlow made in the USA.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Jeez, I never thought that they "outsourced" to China. I'll have to look at my Buck's when I get home to see where they were manufactured. My 110 is 25 years old, they probably made them here then. I also have a Columbia River Knife and Tool knife, I'm pretty sure they manufacture here, but I'll double check. Does anyone else see the irony in being a Christian principled company that manufactures in the land of communist Godless heathens?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,482 Posts
I had to edit my previous post. At first I bragged about the above set of Buck's being made in the USA. To avoid embarrassment, I thought I should check ALL the blades ... sure enough, each knife was stamped "China".

I have 10 Case pocket knives. They are all USA made ... even a cheapie $12 polymer body lock-back. The rest all cost more than $40 ... one was $65. That's quite a bit for a small folder. My Marble sheath knives are all USA made except one ... here's a kick in the butt. I bought a beautiful Marble hunting knife with a damascus blade (model MA-513). It has a genuine stag handle and is a beautiful piece. The box says "Marble's Safety Axe Co. Gladstone, Mich" but inside in small print on the literature it says "Knife Made in Pakistan". I paid $80, which I thought was a bargan ... fooled again! At least they didn't mark the knife itself.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Maybe Buck should donate a bunch of knives to Congress, the Senate, and the Supreme Court. Maybe THEN they'd get the hint!!

·
Count Ursunk
3,325 Posts
Seems like ever time I go to a gun show, I end up buying a new knife. Lately I've been sadly disappointed with some of my purchases. Many "name brand" knives are now made in China to include Schrade, S&W, Colt, Remington, Winchester, Marble, and even Gerber. The knives look good, seem to function OK, and are nice and sharp but that faint "China" etched on the blade really pisses me off.

Last month I bought the Buck 2007 Classic Collector series knife set that includes a handsome single blade, a 2-blade, and a 3 blade pocket knife. They come in a pretty "Tin" that is also a nice display box. Under the insert was the same Product Warranty Registration paper that starts out with the same religious message from the Buck family. I was impressed until I looked closer. Yup, "Made in China" stamped on the blade. Though excellent quality, I was bummed. I thought they were made in the USA.
well....its like anything else you buy. Autos, oil, clothing, you name it. I have never had a problem with Buck knives that they would not fix free of charge. They stand by their Word.....know what I mean ?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well....its like anything else you buy. Autos, oil, clothing, you name it. I have never had a problem with Buck knives that they would not fix free of charge. They stand by their Word.....know what I mean ?
Good one mrb. Yes, I do know.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hard to go wrong with the BIG GUY as a senior partner. The first knife I had was a Buck 110 and I loved that knife. Always sharp and easy to maintain. bought one for a birthday gift for a good friend 15 years ago and he still has it and uses it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Buck had their mfg plant outside San Diego when I lived there, El Cajon I believe it was. Guess they may still make the bigger more expensive knives there and outsource the mass produced models. I though K-bar were still USA, but the one I had was with me in the 60s.
Just checked a couple of the Bucks, the 1902-2002 Centenial Commemerative Buck is marked USA, the Bucklite is USA, and one other I've had awhile is USA. So no china blades here.
If I have a choice, I won't buy china, taiwan or japan if I have a choice, no matter whether it's a cooking pot or pocket knife. Just don't have a choice sometimes-----

·
Banned
186 Posts
I have been a loyal customer of Buck for many yrs. Mostly due to their Quality & Warranty. I am not a Religious person, I am as Agnostic as you can get (prove it to me or forget it). I allways look at both sides and all possibilities (try to think what if). I worked in the construction/home imp. field most of my life and have known more than one contractor who would add the christian/jesus fish symbol to their adds for no other reason than, it will add significantly to business flow. I know nada about the Buck family or corporation (that word alone makes me doubt anything they do). It just makes me wonder, if they will stoop to outsourceing (just like most other corporations). How low will they go? They can claim "family owned" but that just means they own the majority of the stock. They still have stock holders to answer to not just God. If you owned stock in a corporation and lost $$$ would you be satisfied if they said well we prayed real hard but God decided you lose sorry? Most of the "family" members have these funny letters after their names CEO, CFO etc. All I'm saying is I would no more buy a product based on a companies religeous leanings than I would accept sorry god said no.
Hope this doesn't start any crap as it is only my opinion & you know what they are like.

·
Registered
754 Posts
well....its like anything else you buy. Autos, oil, clothing, you name it.

Well, when "Hitlery" gets to be "Madam Prez.", She's gonna fix that !
I heard Her, She promised !! :rolleyes:

Of course, so did Osama, oops, . . . I mean Obama !
:D

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
It is unfair to any Company to degrade them because of their political or religious standing alone, just the same as degrading a individual for theirs. Look at the Company's track record and then make judgment. Any Company that makes good products and stand behind them with customer service deserves to be commended.

·
Count Ursunk
3,325 Posts
I have been a loyal customer of Buck for many yrs. Mostly due to their Quality & Warranty. I am not a Religious person, I am as Agnostic as you can get (prove it to me or forget it). I allways look at both sides and all possibilities (try to think what if). I worked in the construction/home imp. field most of my life and have known more than one contractor who would add the christian/jesus fish symbol to their adds for no other reason than, it will add significantly to business flow. I know nada about the Buck family or corporation (that word alone makes me doubt anything they do). It just makes me wonder, if they will stoop to outsourceing (just like most other corporations). How low will they go? They can claim "family owned" but that just means they own the majority of the stock. They still have stock holders to answer to not just God. If you owned stock in a corporation and lost $$$ would you be satisfied if they said well we prayed real hard but God decided you lose sorry? Most of the "family" members have these funny letters after their names CEO, CFO etc. All I'm saying is I would no more buy a product based on a companies religeous leanings than I would accept sorry god said no.
Hope this doesn't start any crap as it is only my opinion & you know what they are like.
I was just like you deadeye.....believe me. Thomas was also. I have no problem with people bringing the Son of God into their means of making a living. I would be concerned a great bit if a service worker showed up at my house to fix my air conditioner with a ''satans a.c. repair'' logo on his truck. aint no crap started here.

·
Banned
700 Posts
The ChinaRama was put in to full tilt mode in the early eighties by the global gang!
The toothpaste won't go back in to the tube again!:(

SD

1 - 20 of 33 Posts