Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ETA: Disregard the Promag question. OEM Ruger is the way to go, via google searching and the thread like two spots down, here.

Yeah, it may seem like nothing, to many... I'm so stoked by this. Traded a local guy who was trying to sell, but he liked one of my rifles so we traded. A 188, which I understand is good. Two mags with it, and I'll be getting some more. I normally avoid Promag like the plague, but are they alright for the Mini? I'm totally new to this platform, and I'm excited to start learning, watching, reading up on this weapon system. It's just so cool.

This gun is never going anywhere by my choice. It's THE Mini-14 I always wanted. Walnut stock, not the black synthetic, and simple irons, Just love it. It points so intuitively and so well, and it's not long and cumbersome like bigger rifles with LOP that make them uncomfortable. This thing is so cool. It's like my poor man's M1A LOL It seems BEEFY as hell, too. Like it CLUNKS when you rack it, which means it's solid. I never realized how stout these things are. I didn't expect them to be delicate wallflowers, but holy crap.

I understand you can shoot 5.56 NATO in these without major issue, unless Target model.

Thanks for reading. If anyone wants to share their wisdom and Mini-14 experiences that help a noob to it, please do. Not new to guns at all, but definitely new to this rifle, and it's just Rad. Ruger is taking over my collection, again... :)

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,966 Posts
ETA: Disregard the Promag question. OEM Ruger is the way to go, via google searching and the thread like two spots down, here.

Yeah, it may seem like nothing, to many... I'm so stoked by this. Traded a local guy who was trying to sell, but he liked one of my rifles so we traded. A 188, which I understand is good. Two mags with it, and I'll be getting some more. I normally avoid Promag like the plague, but are they alright for the Mini? I'm totally new to this platform, and I'm excited to start learning, watching, reading up on this weapon system. It's just so cool.

This gun is never going anywhere by my choice. It's THE Mini-14 I always wanted. Walnut stock, not the black synthetic, and simple irons, Just love it. It points so intuitively and so well, and it's not long and cumbersome like bigger rifles with LOP that make them uncomfortable. This thing is so cool. It's like my poor man's M1A LOL It seems BEEFY as hell, too. Like it CLUNKS when you rack it, which means it's solid. I never realized how stout these things are. I didn't expect them to be delicate wallflowers, but holy crap.

I understand you can shoot 5.56 NATO in these without major issue, unless Target model.
Congrats! CAN or SHOULD, cuz there's a big difference? You can never go wrong if yah go by what the mfg stamped on the gun.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats! You sound like the kind of guy that will try both 5.56 and .223. I will stick with what is stamped on the barrel as well.
Literally from the manual: 1984-2004 Ruger Mini-14 Ranch
AMMUNITION
The RUGER® MINI-14® RANCH RIFLES are chambered for the .223 Remington (5.56mm) cartridge. The Ranch Rifle is designed to use either standardiz U.S. military or factory loaded sporting .223 (5.56mm) cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice. See “Ammunition Notice” & “Ammunition Warning”, below.

Including their typo of standardiz.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Literally from the manual: 1984-2004 Ruger Mini-14 Ranch
AMMUNITION
The RUGER® MINI-14® RANCH RIFLES are chambered for the .223 Remington (5.56mm) cartridge. The Ranch Rifle is designed to use either standardiz U.S. military or factory loaded sporting .223 (5.56mm) cartridges manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice. See “Ammunition Notice” & “Ammunition Warning”, below.

Including their typo of standardiz.
Why would anyone ever read their owners manual!!😲:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dang! That is a great rifle. A Mini 14 is on my list as well. One day ...one day.
Yeah, it was one of those One day things. Never seriously pursued it as the AR-15 can do it all, and do it better, typically for around half the cost.

But, the AR doesn't have the charm this thing does. You will find one. Oh yes, you will one day find yours. :) I had offered him trade, and he initially declined and I politey said thanks for the response, and said maybe next one I find... A few days later, he texted me back politely requesting I re-extend the same offer. I jumped at it.

Reactions: TENNGRIZZ

·
Registered
564 Posts
My Mini 14 is a Ranch model, my Mini 30 a synthetic stocked version. One was a gift from a friend's estate, the other was $500 new out the door. I wouldn't trade them for a dozen AR15s. No hate for ARs, I have a few, but as was stated, they have no charm and less soul. Even though firearms are really merely tools, some tools are much cooler than others....

Another example of tools with charm and soul, all vintage factory Harley -Davidson service tools....

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Mini 14 is a Ranch model, my Mini 30 a synthetic stocked version. One was a gift from a friend's estate, the other was $500 new out the door. I wouldn't trade them for a dozen AR15s. No hate for ARs, I have a few, but as was stated, they have no charm and less soul. Even though firearms are really merely tools, some tools are much cooler than others.... View attachment 158629

Another example of tools with charm and soul, all vintage factory Harley -Davidson service tools.... View attachment 158630
Your tools look so organized don't know if you are to be trusted or not. Haha. Peace be with you.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
The pencil barrel Minnie's get a lot of help from the under barrel stabilizers as pictured in post #16. Well worth the add on.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The pencil barrel Minnie's get a lot of help from the under barrel stabilizers as pictured in post #16. Well worth the add on.
Yeah, I was wondering what those were; I thought maybe some sort of augmentation to the gas system, but never did google it. Would you mind elaborating? I've read that after 10-20 shots the barrel whip on these earlier models will hinder accuracy. I don't care, as long as I can hit a 10 inch target at 100 meters all day, I'm good. If it can't do that, even once hot hot, then I might be sad. I've heard that for all intents and purposes, accuracy is just fine even on these older ones. I'm not trying to shoot a flea of a dog's back at 300 meters.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts