Ruger Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
New here and I just bought my bucket list gun as well! A Mini 14 in 6.8 SPC. I was searching for some time and it should be here by the end of the week. Pics to follow.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I'm not really into rifles. But if I happened upon an A-Team style SS Mini folder I'd be very tempted.

Congrats on acquiring a Bucket List gun!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Musical instrument String instrument Sleeve String instrument accessory Folk instrument

Later 185 series mini 14 with 1 in 7" twist barrel, with Choate handguard and front site installed. I bought this mini brand new in the early 1990's at Walmart for $392.

Wood Hardwood Gun barrel Wood stain Fashion accessory

Ruger Mini 30 Ranch. Recent 584 prefix, with Ultimak rail, and weaver 4X scope installed. Also installed firingpins.com replacement pin with .045" protrusion to reliably fire steel and brass cased ammo.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Factory mags are always good to go in a Mini, aftermarkets are dicey at best.
That’s the same thing I’m dealing with. My aftermarket ones rarely work well.

Reactions: PilatusTurbo

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Factory mags only for bucket list guns. Or any gun for that matter. Enjoy your prize with confidence!

Disassemble everything except the trigger. Clean it all, oil and reassemble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the 6.8 SPC ammo any harder to find than .223, or 5.56?
More than likely. I stocked up pretty good on 6.8 last year when it was still abundant, but there is still stuff out there. If you’re looking for hunting rounds, Cavity Back Bullets and Druid Hill Armory both sell some awesome custom rounds. As far as the cheaper target stuff, I’ve had some luck on GB.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ETA: Disregard the Promag question. OEM Ruger is the way to go, via google searching and the thread like two spots down, here.

Yeah, it may seem like nothing, to many... I'm so stoked by this. Traded a local guy who was trying to sell, but he liked one of my rifles so we traded. A 188, which I understand is good. Two mags with it, and I'll be getting some more. I normally avoid Promag like the plague, but are they alright for the Mini? I'm totally new to this platform, and I'm excited to start learning, watching, reading up on this weapon system. It's just so cool.

This gun is never going anywhere by my choice. It's THE Mini-14 I always wanted. Walnut stock, not the black synthetic, and simple irons, Just love it. It points so intuitively and so well, and it's not long and cumbersome like bigger rifles with LOP that make them uncomfortable. This thing is so cool. It's like my poor man's M1A LOL It seems BEEFY as hell, too. Like it CLUNKS when you rack it, which means it's solid. I never realized how stout these things are. I didn't expect them to be delicate wallflowers, but holy crap.

I understand you can shoot 5.56 NATO in these without major issue, unless Target model.

Thanks for reading. If anyone wants to share their wisdom and Mini-14 experiences that help a noob to it, please do. Not new to guns at all, but definitely new to this rifle, and it's just Rad. Ruger is taking over my collection, again... :)
Great gun. I found a "pre-ranch" Mini a few years back and never had been fired - as solid as they come. Really shoots a tight pattern of less that 1" at 25 yds. I also have a scope mount for but I like the open sight shooting better.
Keep it clean and it should serve you well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
New here and I just bought my bucket list gun as well! A Mini 14 in 6.8 SPC. I was searching for some time and it should be here by the end of the week. Pics to follow.
I couldn’t be happier right now. I think I really found a gem here with this rare 6.8SPC. It even had the original box and paperwork. Can’t wait to see how she shoots!
Wood Door Musical instrument Road surface Automotive tire

·
Registered
223 Posts
"$500 out the door... " what year was that?

500 bucks is wayyy below employee cost, which is way below distributor cost, for the past few years!
Also sadly, the stock is "walnut-finished hardwood" (birch) not real walnut. Unless aftermarket of course.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts