Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys with the stress that I am currently going thru, this is getting my Gun Nut Itus going!!! So here goes my last medium framed Ruger D/A was 30 years ago a nice Ruger Security Six 6 inch barreled .357 Blued. My thoughts now are being aimed at either a Ruger GP100 Model 1708 I think a Stainless Steel 3 inch with adj sights. The other thoughts are a GP100 Wiley Clapp 3 inch or a Ruger SP101 Wiley Clapp 2.25 inch gun. Where is the best place to find one of the aboved mentioned guns and what might be the cheapest one??:D

·
Registered
468 Posts
The 3 places I always check first are Davidsons, Buds Guns, and KY Gun Co. Then I call around to a few LGS to see how they compare and if they are instock

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
If you can find a 1708 at a good price, I feel it is better than the Wiley Clap since it would be cheaper and has adjustable rear sights. I see it has become harder to find one at a good price lately.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,028 Posts

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys I have looked at Kentucky Gun's & Buds Guns. Buds Guns seems to have more both the GP100's WC & SP101 WC also. I have looked at the local LGS online also. There I find both Ruger GP100's Stainless 4 inch but not sure of a Blued 4 inch. The GP100 WC Model there was more expensive then the GP100 MC the MC was priced at $783.00 in both adj sighted & the Novack sight model. The SP101 WC is at $715.00 They also have the S&W 686 Plus in 2.5 & 3 inch at $800.00. So now the question is the Ruger GP100 Stainless 4 inch adj sights at $683.00 or if I can find one a Blued GP100 4 inch adj. sights. This one comes back low in stock ck for price?? I have been looking for quite some time for a nice Ruger GP100 not found what I want but really like the Blued one. Then there is also a blued Taurus Model 66 7 shot .357 for $491.00 Now can a Taurus 66 7 shot be a Bucket List gun? Because they have both Stainless & Blued in stock! I have heard positive both here & on You Tube. Oh well wait and see!!! Thanks for the comments & feed back.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Gun Broker is good.
My thoughts exactly!

I'd make sure you know which one you want first...I prefer the 4" GP100 with the adjustable sight as Meprolight makes a nice replacement adjustable Tritrium 3-dot night sight set for the 4" revolvers...makes quite a difference in low/no light shooting!

Regardless...I would definitely opt for a pair of the older factory Lett Rubber + wood panel grips...to me, they're a much better feel than the current Hogues! Lots of other options out there as well...Eagle, Hogue, Badger Customs, etc.!

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Price check here guys found a NIB Ruger GP100 Blued Wiley Clapp only one in stock had it for awhile marked down the price to $697.00 plus two months gun range time. Now at the 2nd LGS found 2 GP100's Stainess @ $624.00 Blued @ $579.00. Looking at all three guns they all seemed to be fitting nicely no gaps or uneven spaces. I was actually surprised in a positive way the actions felt nice and smooth both D/A & SA the GP100 WC action was no smoother then the other two. What I did find was no burrs or rough edges in the usual parts hammer spurs etc. I liked the fact the WC was blued and the Novak Sights very nice. My thoughts are I like the fact to change out the front sight on a regular adj. sighted GP100 is easy plus fully adjustable rear sights. I can dress up a regular GP100 with a set of nice Altamont grips with checkered wood inserts and still be cheaper especially in the Blued GP100 VS the GP100 WC. I want this gun to be a regular shooter is the extra expense worth it with the GP100 WC and is the price quoted to me on this gun a good price?? I have to admit the finish on the WC was very nice is the Blued GP100 WC stainless steel or carbon steel? The WC I wouldn't change anything except possibly later a tritium front sight. The current front sight is a gold bead of some sort. Is the adjustment process with a drift pin on the Novak sighted Wiley Clapp?? I would much appreciate thoughts and comments thank you!!!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
All those are pretty decent prices. If you are sure you won't change anything on the WC (including the sights) then it is worth the extra. If you're going to change stuff around, then get the cheaper one and make it yours.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
slimjim9 the GP100 WC has been one that I have always liked have seen a few some worth keeping one at the LGS should have never been sent out it was that bad. I like the appointments of the WC everything just fits right. My biggest fears are actually the Novak sights. Now if they hit POA at 15-20 yards no problem even if I have to hold a bit depending on the load. But if the windage is way off that usually means a trip back to Ruger if a simple tap with a drift punch to move the sights don't help. I have read this about the GP100 MC the first version. A standard GP100 with adjustable sights gives the user with many advantages especially the front sight change out. Altamont offers some nice rubber grips with stippling and checkered wood inserts to customize the GP100 to me the Rubber Hogue's do their job but man they are ugly!! I am taking in these ideas and suggestions to help me make a decision thanks for the input!!!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I read that manic ramble twice and I still can't tell what you did. Breathe, dude, breathe. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts