Ruger Forum banner

Bucks in early velvet

653 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  rmichael63 
#1 ·
More pics from the Cam, just one of the bachelor running around on property. I guess I never paid to much attention as to when they started to grow, I've seen them in late June though. I have had them on Cam as late as March 28th still sporting their rack.

Vegetation Forest Nature Nature reserve Natural environment
Wildlife Nature reserve Nature Natural landscape Old-growth forest
Wildlife Nature reserve Terrestrial animal Deer Biome
Wildlife Nature Nature reserve Forest Natural landscape
Vegetation Nature Nature reserve Natural landscape Forest
Nature reserve Woodland Wildlife Nature Forest
Vegetation Nature reserve Nature Wildlife Old-growth forest
Vegetation Old-growth forest Nature Nature reserve Tropical and subtropical coniferous forests
Wildlife Nature reserve Nature Vegetation Old-growth forest

See less See more
#3 ·
So now it’s the end of May, that particular cam is in a pinch point. It’s generally pretty good, but the last year or so something has changed. From December till a few days ago it only had 475 pics or so, which is so bazaar, when I used to get 200 to 250 a week during the bow season and through the rut. All of the cams have dropped drastically in the last year. I have no crops to speak of but the neighbors do per normal. Last season I was so disgusted with what I was seeing I only hunted the power line cut, I was only looking for a long shot on a doe since most of the bucks were 8pt or smaller. We only pulled two does and a small buck out of there. last year.

But to answer your question I won’t check any cams until early September when I go in and tighten up all the straps and screw in steps. After the season I loosen everything up to account for the tree growth. I learned my lesson back in the 90’s when I didn’t do that and the tree grew around one of my stands, I had to cut the tree down to get it out.

All of my cams and stands are in pinch points so if they’re there I’ll know it.

#4 ·
More pics from the Cam, just one of the bachelor running around on property. I guess I never paid to much attention as to when they started to grow, I've seen them in late June though. I have had them on Cam as late as March 28th still sporting their rack.

View attachment 143765 View attachment 143766 View attachment 143767 View attachment 143768 View attachment 143769 View attachment 143770 View attachment 143771 View attachment 143772 View attachment 143774
Great pics!

#5 ·
LOL ... There is a small easement between the back of my property and some light commercial property. It's about 20' wide, i take my dog back there when it's not to wet for exercise and his business. I've seen deer, coyotes and a plethora of other critters. I want to put a trail cam in the back corner just to see what all is lurking back there. I might not like what i see ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.