Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure if I should post this in the optic forum or the 10/22 forum.

I'm building a 10/22 target, fun gun, for 50-100-150 yard paper punching. I've purchased a Tactical Solutions Vantage RS stock, and a Green Mountain Heavy Bull Fluted barrel.

The next step would be optics. Here's where I'm looking for suggestions.

I like the looks of the Nikon Prostaff Target EFR Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm AO, but I'm concerned that with 80 MOA elevation it might fall short past 100 yards.

What are people out there using on their 10/22's for 100-150 yard paper punching?
I should note, I'd like to keep the glass purchase price below $250.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I like the looks of the Nikon Prostaff Target EFR Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm AO, but I'm concerned that with 80 MOA elevation it might fall short past 100 yards.
I'm a big fan of Leupold scopes, and have several on different rifles and shotguns. I also have a small collection of Nikon Prostaff scopes, and they have held up fine, and the optics are very good, my eyes tell me as good as the Leupolds I can afford. My 77VBZ and 10/22 both wear a 2X-7X shotgun scope with a fixed 75yd parallax setting, and that works for prairie dogs out to 125yds sighted in at 75yds and using the top of the post at 125. 150yds is guess zone.

Wondering how guys liked the 3X-9X I jumped on the thread :eek:

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
+1 on the Nikon Rimfire Prostaff BDC 150. We use it on a couple of our rimfires and highly recommend it for your application. The BDC gives you several holding spots on the reticle for ranges out to 150 yards and it does it instantly. No need to dial in elevation changes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1 on the Nikon Rimfire Prostaff BDC 150. We use it on a couple of our rimfires and highly recommend it for your application. The BDC gives you several holding spots on the reticle for ranges out to 150 yards and it does it instantly. No need to dial in elevation changes.
I like the looks of the BDC 150, lots of positive reviews. The $150 doesn't put a big dent in the wallet either.
I've narrowed it down to two scopes...

Nikon Prostaff Target EFR Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm 1/2 MOA Adjustments Adjustable Objective
or
Nikon Prostaff Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm BDC 150 Reticle Matte

I like the adjustable objective down to 10 yards on the EFR, but the multiple holding spots on the BDC are great as well.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a BSA Sweet 22 also. Actually will get more as I find receivers to build some more range rifles. I have heard that some folks have had Quality issues with the BSAs but I have not as of yet. I have also heard that if the scope has a problem you get a new/warranty one then no issues. Again no issues for me and it is not good to be a Squirrel, can or paper down range.

Prices can get pretty low when you find the right sale.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I am told the Weaver 3-9x32mm AO is a good one and the cost is in the $250 range...

Also a popular scope among SB Silhouette shooters is the Bushnell 6-24x44mm AO and they are in that price range too...

No clue which is best...

I have a Simmons 4-12x40mm AO/TT-1/8 moa... I prefer the Leupold 2-7x28mm rimfire parallax scope with fine duplex over the Simmons target scope at 100 yards even though the magnification is less...the A/O I don't miss at all...not saying it's not worth having...not saying my Leupold would be a good choice for you...

My limited experience however tells me the higher the magnification the more you need the AO...

And the bigger the objective the harder it is to get the cheek rest right...which IMO does matter for accuracy...

It is a series of trade offs as to what produces the ideal results for any one gun/shooter regardless of price...

The temptation is great to max the zoom...the results don't always follow...at least not for me...

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
As a minimum I go with Mueller but typically will choose Burris optics. Have a couple Nikons as well. All have served their purposes and needs out to 100 yes. Having tried the cheap stuff (Bushnell, Simmons, BSA, etc), well they're cheap for a reason.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I currently have Barska "plinker" scope on my 10/22. However, just ordered a Nikon Rimfire Prostaff, found it on sale for $109 (after rebate).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nikon PROSTAFF 3-9 Rimfire BDC 150 or EFR ?

I have been using the Rimfire BDC 150 scope on my 10/22 for 2 years now and love it. Excellent clarity and good field of view. Makes for quick target acquisition when hunting or just punching holes in paper.
As Stated earlier, utilizing Spot On will further enhance your accuracy with the BDC reticle. I haven't used the EFR Scope yet, but a friend who has one on his .22 cal. air rifle loves his.

Looks like you are building quite a 22Lr, I can't wait to see some pics.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/22rimfire.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Howzit, i have a Nikon 4-12x40 prostaff and Leupold vx1 3-9x40 both really good scopes. Both really clear and in your price range. Goodluck!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll be checking out the Leupold VX-1 and Mueller APV shortly, along with the Nikon Prostaff EFR (wish it came in Silver) soon after I pick up my LVT. Right now, however, I'm shopping for a scope base mount and rings.

I love the looks of your set-up bman! Is that a Leupold 1-piece base mount on your rifle? What kind of rings are you using? Please excuse the newbie question, but I'm fairly new to all this and have no one to ask, as none of my friends are into firearms. All I have for information are the forums...

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Nikon would be OK...if you run into issues with long ranges and limited MOA adjustments...you can go to bases with built in MOA...there are ones with different MOA's already built into them....like a ramp......

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a Mueller 8-32x44 target dot on a CZ 455 that I shoot from the bench. I have had it for over a year with good results, but only shoot 50 yds. It would probably need a base with built in MOA for more than 100 yds. IIRC it was less than $250. The good thing, you wouldn't need a spotting scope at 150yds

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Nikon would be OK...if you run into issues with long ranges and limited MOA adjustments...you can go to bases with built in MOA...there are ones with different MOA's already built into them....like a ramp......
I've purchased the Nikon Prostaff EFR and a 15 MOA scope rail. So I should be good for the 25 yard indoor range, and 100 + yards outdoors.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Tim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts