Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone shot a full load from their LCR, like the Bufalo Bore 357 heavy 180 grain? I'm not planning to do it a lot nor use it for self defense. Just wondering if you have and if so was there any problem with the bullets unseating?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May God have mercy on your soul... :D
LOL. I have a friend with a S&W 4" 357. If the planets align and I get the LCR and Buffalo Bore ammo, I hope to have a range report sometime in mid December. :D

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do you think they will jump crimp ?
Well...I don't know. Buffalo Bore cautions against using their heavy loads in lightweight guns. So I'm wondering if anyone has tried it and what their experience was.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Well...I don't know. Buffalo Bore cautions against using their heavy loads in lightweight guns. So I'm wondering if anyone has tried it and what their experience was.
If they caution against it, why even try it? I would consider it very risky to yourself and the LCR.

By my experience shooting just 125 and 130 gr .38 bullets in my LCR-357, I do not envy someone wanting to try 180 grain .357s.........:(

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you do try it, load one at a time just in case they do mess up the crimp. (I know you'll be so anxious to shoot to whole box!) ;)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
LOL. I have a friend with a S&W 4" 357. If the planets align and I get the LCR and Buffalo Bore ammo, I hope to have a range report sometime in mid December. :D
Provided that you can still type with those hands... :(

·
Registered
584 Posts
LCR tends to bullet creep with standard full-power loads ... loading 5, fire 4, replace those 4 and fire them (not the one from the original loading), I observed noticeable bullet creep in that one cartridge with full power 142 gr and 158 gr loads. Given the maximum charge in the BB 180s, I'd take BB's advice and reserve the heavy 180s for SPs and GPs. But it's your gun ... I use Gold Dot 135 gr short-barrel 357s, a much more modest load...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Just wondering if you have and if so was there any problem with the bullets unseating?
I've had +P loads creep in my M637. The difference between .38+P and the Buffalo Bore 180gr stuff is exponential. My .357 BH has a steel grip frame, and 4 5/8" barrel. Recoil is not for the timid even in that.

In the spirit of curiosity (note: kills cats), go for it and let us know how you liked the combination. Myself, I'm always willing to gain knowledge through the efforts of others. Like guys at Niagra Falls in a barrel, you can go first :)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had +P loads creep in my M637. The difference between .38+P and the Buffalo Bore 180gr stuff is exponential. My .357 BH has a steel grip frame, and 4 5/8" barrel. Recoil is not for the timid even in that.

In the spirit of curiosity (note: kills cats), go for it and let us know how you liked the combination. Myself, I'm always willing to gain knowledge through the efforts of others. Like guys at Niagra Falls in a barrel, you can go first :)
Give me a few weeks. Between waiting the mandated 30 days here in CA before I can even start the paperwork, then waiting the 10 days required by CA law puts me at the end of the month.

To clarify a few things, no I'm not crazy nor do I have a death wish. I will probably shoot 38sp and 38sp+P most of the time from this gun, will probably keep it loaded up with Hornady CD 38sp+P for SD. Next gun show I may pick up some speer or BB short barrel rounds.

But I bought it over the LCR 38 so I would have the ability to load up a hotter round if necessary. Will probably carry 158 grain JSP if I'm hunting in AZ/CA and want to have protection against big cats, Javalenas, etc. Was more curious than anything if I am in bear country I might want to put a 180 grain BB load. If I shoot any of these loads, it will be sparingly. If the 180 grain is just too much, I'll stick with the 158 grain JSP and bring a friend who limps into bear country. The easy solution would have been to get a SP101 or GP100 or even a 44 magnum, but we all have to live within our limitations.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The easy solution would have been to get a SP101 or GP100 or even a 44 magnum, but we all have to live within our limitations.
That limitations thing :(

The 180's would be very hard to control, judging from a few rounds of 180's in my SP101. In the spirit of a well placed bullet has an edge over a wild shot with a more powerful load, take a look at some of the LSWC ammo from Magtec, Remington etc. Wider meplat is pretty effective at energy transfer.

I find the really heavy bullets shoot way high from the light guns with short barrels. Shooting my Airweight, bullets heavier than 160gr require a lot of guess work much past baseball bat ranges. I'd wonder if the LCR's would be much different??

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update for those of you waiting with baited breath.

I picked up the LCR 357 right after Thanksgiving and have been to the range twice. I started out with 38 non +P 130 grain FMJ, then worked my way up to 357 110 grain JHP and 158 grain JSP. I don't know what I was expecting, maybe that Ruger had developed some way to prevent the laws of physics from applying to a polymer framed revolver.

A few observations:

• recoil from standard pressure 38 was more than I expected. At first I thought it was more than from my S&W model 36 snubbie. But after side by side comparison, it was about the same.
  • recoil from 357 was dramatically bigger. It is the first time ever that my hand hurt from recoil. I was never able to get the accuracy I wanted mainly because after that first shot I had a hard time avoiding the flinch when I pulled the trigger.
  • After 20-25 357 rounds, I was able to at least get on the paper but I had to stop shooting 357
  • I couldn't even shoot 38 well from it after the 357 rounds
  • I may hold off on the 180 grain BB unless I pick up a GP100 or SW 686 plus
  • I have zero issue shooting 38 or 38 +p
  • I will leave the 357 158 grain JSP for when I'm out hunting or hiking and want protection from big cats or hogs
  • after a couple hundred 38 rounds I felt like I was starting to get a hand of the DAO trigger but was still not as accurate as with the S&W even on DA
So, the recoil is pretty unpleasant for 357 rounds, even for regular guys and not just for women and girly men. ;)

All those "perceived recoil is subjective" comments are not helpful. This thing kicks like an angry mule.

It is an awesome gun, but did not come with a recoil dampening fairie or a rainbow or anything to help avoid the laws of physics.

I will take great pleasure in using it to make a big noise at the range :D

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
A few observations:

• I may hold off on the 180 grain BB unless I pick up a GP100 or SW 686 plus
It is an awesome gun, but did not come with a recoil dampening fairy or a rainbow or anything to help avoid the laws of physics.
You did the smart thing :) I was wondering about the BB stuff though. It's "zesty" in my .357 BlackHawk, with a steel birds head grip. I won't feed the stuff to my SP101.

Great little gun, but you can't fool "Father Newton".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Heavy 357 loads through Ruger LCR

I'm no "girly-man", but I too find 357 to be a handful out of the LCR. I have tried 158 grain Blazer Brass (painful) and 125 grain Fiocchi (less painful). For both of these, the recoil was bad enough to where rapid follow-up shots would be extremely difficult.

I then stumbled upon Hornady Critical Defense 125 grain. These must have a slightly slower-burning powder or something. I could actually shoot these accurately and rapidly. Still stings, but manageable. These rounds have enough penetration ability in gel tests that they ought to be able to hit a vital bear organ.

I think that these would make a decent trail hiking round. I know that heavy hardcast rounds are preferred against big game like bears, but then again we're talking about a 2" snubbie. You're not going to bring down a bear with a single well-placed 180 grain Buffalo Bore round out of a snubbie. Nope. You're going to keep squeezing the trigger until one of you is dead. At best you are going to get one or two aimed shots. Then, if you still have your shooting arm attached, it's down to "spray and pray" with the bear on top of you.

In my opinion, a 357 is a good trail round. It can handle most animals that you would need to defend yourself against. If I lived on Bear Island in Alaska I'd carry a rifle. A bigger handgun is still a handgun.

The point that is always forgotten in these types of discussions is that you are not looking for a hunting weapon/round, you are looking for a fighting weapon/round. If I have to fight an animal, I'd want to be able to put 5 holes into him instead of relying upon a single shot. The BB 180 grain is for all intents a single-shot round. Adrenaline be damned. There's no way you will get that LCR back on target before that bear is on top of you.

The more macho men should have little problem with 158 grain out of the LCR. For me, at present, 125 grain is my limit. And some 357 brands have more or less kick for the same weight, likely due to differences in powders.

I really do like the specs on that BB 180 gr 357 round. Wouldn't need that round for anything east of the Mississippi. In brown or grizzly country, I'd probably carry it. But not in my LCR. I'd need a different weapon. I'd probably bring one buddy with a rifle and another buddy with a pork chop tied around his neck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have found that the 125gr Remington Golden Saber is a very manageable and relatively painless .357 load in the LCR. I carry that around town (and shoot Fiocchi 142gr ball if I want to make a big noise.) But out in the woods, the LCR is the snake gun; the heavy stuff goes in the GP100.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I have an LCR .357 on order that I plan on using primarily for SD only. I have some Hornady Critical Defense .125 gr loads set aside that I'll be using for this purpose. At this time I have no plans of using anything larger than the .125 gr. SD loads. For periodic target practice I'll use .38 Spl's.
To be honest with ya I wouldn't shoot the 180 gr ammo out of my 4" GP100...no bears around these parts.

That's pretty stout load my friend, good luck to you...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'm no "girly-man", but I too find 357 to be a handful out of the LCR.
My thought is you'd need to practice regularly with that load. Between the cost of ammo, and the need for medical attention when you developed carpel tunnel problems, it could/would be expensive.

Try some of the 180gr Missouri or Penn 180gr cast over 6.5gr of Herco. They will penetrate 10" of seasoned beech, easily, and keep on going. They are nowhere near the BB 180's in my SP101. That load is about a gr short of Max.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I shot those buffalo bore 180gr in my GP100. Keep it away from your LCR! The GP100 is more than able to handle it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have shot the BB 180 Grainers in my 4 inch GP, 4 5/8 Blackhawk and my 3 inch SP101.
I will NEVER shoot them out of my SP again. It hurts and I nearly lost the gun out of my hand.
That load is best used in a gun that weighs upwards of 35-40+ ounces, like a GP or a BH. It has a purpose....penetrating tough hides and hitting vitals. They are the hottest 357 load Ive ever shot. No way you could get me to put them in my LCR, for my hand's sake and my guns health.
IMHO the LCR is a CCW, not a woods gun.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts