Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first 10/22 build. Ideally it will shoot 150 yards. I want a scope and bipod, if you were to build something like this what parts would you get. Post pictures and links if you have them.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
While certainly possible, that distance will kinda require the GOOD components, and GOOD ammo. Don't skimp. I'd look at either Whistle Pig, or better still, a Kidd barrel. Before I go further, what's the budget?
Been there, done that with these for a long time, many times over. Happy to help but need more than just "I want a scope and bipod".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
budget is whatever it needs to be trying to go as cheap as possible i just dont know things like floated barrel or not? how long of a barrel? and I dont know any brands besides what I'm reading. Can i put a bipod on any stock? is a bull barrel better? Just starting out so if you have a build post pics and specs. I have a new carbine 10/22

·
Registered
119 Posts
budget is whatever it needs to be trying to go as cheap as possible i just dont know things like floated barrel or not? how long of a barrel? and I dont know any brands besides what I'm reading. Can i put a bipod on any stock? is a bull barrel better? Just starting out so if you have a build post pics and specs. I have a new carbine 10/22
150 yards? Any .22 lr will shoot that far. But if you want it to be accurate, then
like BlckHawk73 says, if you want that distance, you need some very fine components. So the questions you're asking are automatically answered in the way of look for the top-grade stuff. Bull barrel, top quality stock that is built for bipod, etc.

For pics & ideas, just browse around on this site for awhile. Lotsa guys have some really fine builds--thousands of $$$ invested in them. Sorta fun to cruise around and find them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright what makes a bull barrel better is a floating barrel good? any reccomendations on what you have and your experiences?

·
Registered
224 Posts
The stock and the barrel don't change the fact that you're still dealing with .22LR bore dwell time and .22LR time of flight.

If I were inclined to sink more money into my 10/22 than I have over the 32 years that I've owned it, and was doing that with the idea of shooting beyond 100 yards with it mostly, I'd spend my money on good glass with enough magnifaction to let me aim small and a more refined aftermarket trigger. For me, that means some kind of Leupold and a Volquartsen trigger.

In other words, the first mods I would make would allow me to get the most out of WHATEVER stock and barrel combo I decide to run afterwords, becuase I'd have maximized the shooter-rifle interface.

As it stands, though, my essentially stock 10/22 is fully capable of shooting sub 1/2" groups at 50 yards and I can hit what I'm aiming at with it all the way out to 125, which is as far as I can shoot at the venue I frequent. When I can hit what I'm aiming at, the issue for me isn't the mechanical accuracy potential of the rifle as much as it is a problem of applying fundamental marksmanship to a cartidridge with a lot more barrel dwell time and longer time of flight than any other rifle round I shoot.

I got the barrel I'm using now from a friend who bought a stainless 10/22 and instantly replaced the barrel and stock before putting a round through the action. $1,500 later, he had a rifle that was a very slight bit more accurate than my 10/22 is. But it was not more accurate than my factory stock blued / hardwood stocked Marlin XT-22 with a 4X-12X A.O. Leupold was -a rifle that I bought used for a whopping $135.00 and sold for $150.00 a couple of weeks ago.

My XT-22 shot groups half the size of my 10/22 at 50 yards. But at 125, my hit ratio was the same with either gun, in the real world of the range I shoot on, with ever present and never constant wind.

My friend's hot-rodded 10/22 sure looked trick. No doubt..... But in the end, what he had was a $1,700 semi-auto (gun+mods) that weighs 9.25 pounds and wouldn't shoot any more accurately than a box-stock bolt action that still had some utility off the bench in spite of being far less expensive and not very trick looking.

T-C

·
Registered
422 Posts
I went with a CenterPoint 4x-16x x 42mm scope. Goes for about $65-70. I didn't like where it sat on the stock scope mount, so I ordered the Aim Sports Quad Rail for $40. I built up the cheek piece with black duct tape and a nice shoe insert. It feels great. Still lightweight with the exception of the giant scope. Lots of rail space. Easy option for mounting a bi-pod or any other optic.
I was shooting a 1.5" steel spinner at 75 yards.

A trigger upgrade is definitely needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts