Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish Ruger would sell the 10/22 with just the receiver or order just the parts you want, so you could build the rest of it the way you want. Like with the stock trigger or the new BX one or with your choice of barrel. I installed an aftermarket stock the first day I had mine and the old one sits in the basement.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Some people buy a new 10/22 strip it and sell the parts on ebay.
You can do that, keep the receiver and have it paid for.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
441 Posts
For what they want for a receiver, I can buy a very nice whole 10/22.
Yes but you'll end up with a high end / better quality 10/22. Why would you want to build off a factory cast and painted receiver when you can start with a better quality anodized billet one?

I can see rugers point of not selling receivers too. They don't want a bunch of home builds of unknown quality floating around being passed of as Ruger factory rifles. Then you get 2nd, 3rd or who knows how may owner's trying to get Ruger to fix a rifle that they didn't build. There are a few AR companies who do the same thing to protect their name and reputation.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
But...not all builds warrant a fancied up receiver. Unless you're to go best of the best with everything, including ammo and optics AND assembly, take the time to tweak every aspect (ammo, pressure points, etc) what does it provide above the factory one? Be curious how many have the skills to utilize the ever fractionally minute differences, if any at all, the aftermarket receiver would provide at the range.

I've bought used complete 10/22's, kept the parts I needed, sold the rest and actually had the extra parts sell for more than what I paid for the entire gun.

·
Registered
464 Posts
A 10/22 is a fun gun but at the end of the day the receiver is the weak link in the chain. I fail to see the point in spending 200 on a barrel that the receiver can not securely hold it on target. The heavier the barrel the worse it gets with the very flexible cast receiver.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
But...not all builds warrant a fancied up receiver. Unless you're to go best of the best with everything, including ammo and optics AND assembly, take the time to tweak every aspect (ammo, pressure points, etc) what does it provide above the factory one? Be curious how many have the skills to utilize the ever fractionally minute differences, if any at all, the aftermarket receiver would provide at the range.

I've bought used complete 10/22's, kept the parts I needed, sold the rest and actually had the extra parts sell for more than what I paid for the entire gun.

My point exactly: I bought a new stainless model to shoot Steel Challenge and quickly found out I could shoot faster with a pistol grip stock. After adding that, I added the usual trigger parts for lighter pull and quicker magazine release. Then added a Vortex Spitfire 1X optic. Didn't need to change the barrel, as I've put enough into the hardware, now working on the software.

Cost so far:
Ruger 10/22 Stainless with sales taxes $300
Custom stock over $100
Trigger parts $75
Extra magazines $150
Vortex optic: $300

If I would have built it from the ground up with a lightweight barrel, I would have another $400 plus into it. Being I'm a 69-year-old, I'll never make to the "Master Class", so I can't justify the extra money, just to possibly pick up a couple of seconds.
BTW: The double ring with dot that is used in this optic is actually faster for me than the reflex sight (C-More RTS2) that I originally had on the gun.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Then why build a stock 10/22 instead of buy one?
Who said anything about building a perfectly stock one? I don't like the factory stock or the Weaver mount or the trigger. I would like one with the new BX trigger. The lower cost factory receiver and barrel work for me.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Who said anything about building a perfectly stock one? I don't like the factory stock or the Weaver mount or the trigger. I would like one with the new BX trigger. The lower cost factory receiver and barrel work for me.

The stock and trigger parts could sell for what the BX trigger costs. Add a stock and you're at $300-$350 for what you want. It would be hard to assemble one from just a receiver and barrel for that much, even if a factory one was available.

Haven't heard great reviews on the BX triggers though. I may have to get one to test.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Then why build a stock 10/22 instead of buy one?
One builds because what they want isn't able to simply be purchased. Have built nearly 20 so far because what I wanted I couldn't simply go and purchase. Strange thing...they're all done using factory Ruger receivers. :confused: Crazy ain't I. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes but you'll end up with a high end / better quality 10/22. Why would you want to build off a factory cast and painted receiver when you can start with a better quality anodized billet one?

I can see rugers point of not selling receivers too. They don't want a bunch of home builds of unknown quality floating around being passed of as Ruger factory rifles. Then you get 2nd, 3rd or who knows how may owner's trying to get Ruger to fix a rifle that they didn't build. There are a few AR companies who do the same thing to protect their name and reputation.
Good point, but all they need to do is stamp a different serial number on a reciever sold as a bare reciever, I.E. ; REC-123-4567890

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you have a drill press and basic skill with it, there are a couple of companies selling 80% 10/22 receivers, where you have to finish a few machining operations to have a complete receiver. You can order them right through the mail with no paperwork. 80% blank and a jig to complete it will cost you roughly what a 10/22 costs at one of the box stores. You can keep very tight dimensions on it and have it finished the way you want when you get done. It's a cool deal.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hot Items - Shooters Discount, Inc.

you have to keep an eye on them.
They buy new 10/22's of varying styles, part out and sell the NEW take off OEM parts.
I've gotten a receiver and bolt from them, as well as a 3rd party barrel and a couple of oem laminate stocks.
All reasonably priced, all perfect new condition, not a scratch or handling mark.

http://www.shootersdiscount.com/cart/receivers/guns.html

right now it looks like they are out of OEM 10/22 receivers.

but either contact them or keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have seen them on the used market pretty cheap, but it would be nice if Ruger just sold the receiver. Maybe they are missing the mark. Like a new AR. There are enough aftermarket parts to do that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts