Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have been kicking around an AR for a while now and especially the SR556. I haven't knee-jerked to the current political situation yet, but I am wondering if I will get a chance to have one before I have saved enough to actually purchase one. I have read the proposed ban bill a few times, but I can't tell if lower receivers would be included in the "grandfathered" clause. My thought was to buy a stripped lower now and then get a SR556 upper when able. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
281 Posts
In my opinion you might have a tougher time piecing one together. The AR15 is famous for customer "home builds" and has historically been easy to do. But my research has indicated that certain rifles from the factory are simply better had pre assembled. IMO the SR556 is one of those. The upper is where all the gravy is on the SR556 (chrome lined gas tube and piston, hammer forged barrel in-house from Mil-Spec 41V45, one-piece bolt carrier with an integral transfer key, etc.) The lower is nice to have stamped as a Ruger if you wanted that, but the upper is what will make is an SR556 AR15

The key is whether you will be able to find an upper any time soon. Most of the stock is going to make the SR556 complete units from what i heard. And with everyone clamoring for AR15s, those are likely going to be built first as there would be more margin there for Ruger I'd imagine.

If I where you, I would try to save up for the upper, or the rifle as a whole first. I do not beleive congress has the votes for an AR ban so you have some time still. If you're panicked, you can get the lower than wait and see. You just might find yourself selling that lower and buying the complete rifle when it becomes available again at somewhat reasonable prices.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would build the lower and buy the upper. That is my plan for a Ruger 6.8 SPC Upper as soon as I can get one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts