Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
If I calculate correctly, at the lower quantity it is about 15 bucks per box of 50, which isn't a great savings. and it would be plus shipping too?
I'm sure the ammo would be good, just not sure the price is that good for target practice ammo. If you don't reload, CCI Blazer goes for about $13 a box of 50.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/browseammo.aspx?c=95&s=923&p=6

·
Registered
32 Posts
WWW.ammoman.com is a good source for bulk ammo and his pricing includes shipping. I have ordered from him and never had a problem. It's also good to check his site often as things change. Ammotogo is good too but I haven't yet bought from them but have heard lots of good things.

The last time I ordered from ammoman it was for a $1500.00 shipment of assorted Nato 5.56, 45acp, 357mag, 9mm and lots of .22lr. the UPS guy was tired after-wards.

Robert

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm sure there is cheaper ammo out there. I was just trying to utilize this gift certificate. Not that I can't easily find something to spend money on at Cabelas, this is just my first preference to use it.

The .38 special semi-wadcutter bulk ammo is $69.99 per 300, comes with that dry storage tin and that works out to $11.66 a box. I guess that's not bad. What's the deal with the semi-wadcutter? I don't really know what that means.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Today, right now within a 1/2 mile of my home they are constructing a Cabelas Superstore.
It is going to be right next to the UCONN football stadium. I think by the fall my choices in ammo are going to at the least be enhanced, not to mention a new hangout place. Me thinks I would even consider part time employment for a discount, as I will probably be spending time there anyway. [8D]

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
WallyWorld's been selling .38 full metal cased at 7.99 or 8.99 per 50-cheap practice.....45 for 9.99...semi-wadcutter is tapered down a bit out of the brass and squared off flat on the nose....

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
quote:Originally posted by EddieF

What's the deal with the semi-wadcutter? I don't really know what that means.
Eddie, the semi-wad cutter is the most common style lead bullet. And is also used for FMJ. It refers to a shape that has a flat nose and sloped shoulders to a lip that cuts a clean hole in paper. A compromise between a wadcutter for pretty holes in paper with a longer nose for stabilized flight and a round nose bullet.

o "round-nose" - The end of the bullet is blunted.
o "hollow-point" - There is a hole in the bullet that creates expansion when a target is struck, creating more damage.
o "jacketed" - The soft lead is surrounded by another metal, usually copper, that allows the bullet to penetrate a target more easily.
o "wadcutter" - The front of the bullet is flattened.
o "semi-wadcutter" - Intermediate between round-nose and wadcutter.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome, Jimbo, that's very helpful. Thanks. A lot of these terms I'm sort of absorbing as I go along, and stuff makes more sense every day. But a basic little chart like this is very helpful, thanks for passing that along.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.