Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
As far as cheap plinking ammo goes it's hard to beat the Winchester white box 100 count box available at Wal-Mart. I haven't been able to find 38Sp cheaper per round anywhere.

·
Registered
32 Posts
WWW.ammoman.com is a good source for bulk ammo and his pricing includes shipping. I have ordered from him and never had a problem. It's also good to check his site often as things change. Ammotogo is good too but I haven't yet bought from them but have heard lots of good things.

The last time I ordered from ammoman it was for a $1500.00 shipment of assorted Nato 5.56, 45acp, 357mag, 9mm and lots of .22lr. the UPS guy was tired after-wards.

Robert

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm sure there is cheaper ammo out there. I was just trying to utilize this gift certificate. Not that I can't easily find something to spend money on at Cabelas, this is just my first preference to use it.

The .38 special semi-wadcutter bulk ammo is $69.99 per 300, comes with that dry storage tin and that works out to $11.66 a box. I guess that's not bad. What's the deal with the semi-wadcutter? I don't really know what that means.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Today, right now within a 1/2 mile of my home they are constructing a Cabelas Superstore.
It is going to be right next to the UCONN football stadium. I think by the fall my choices in ammo are going to at the least be enhanced, not to mention a new hangout place. Me thinks I would even consider part time employment for a discount, as I will probably be spending time there anyway. [8D]

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
WallyWorld's been selling .38 full metal cased at 7.99 or 8.99 per 50-cheap practice.....45 for 9.99...semi-wadcutter is tapered down a bit out of the brass and squared off flat on the nose....

·
Registered
343 Posts
Cabelas bulk ammo is made by Ultramax. I have shot it in 357 sig and 9mm with no problems.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Try the Win 38-100 count at Wall Mart for just throwing down range, Ive had good luck with all Winchester products. But then again Im predjudiced, retired from Olin. Good people making a good product.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
quote:Originally posted by EddieF

What's the deal with the semi-wadcutter? I don't really know what that means.
Eddie, the semi-wad cutter is the most common style lead bullet. And is also used for FMJ. It refers to a shape that has a flat nose and sloped shoulders to a lip that cuts a clean hole in paper. A compromise between a wadcutter for pretty holes in paper with a longer nose for stabilized flight and a round nose bullet.

o "round-nose" - The end of the bullet is blunted.
o "hollow-point" - There is a hole in the bullet that creates expansion when a target is struck, creating more damage.
o "jacketed" - The soft lead is surrounded by another metal, usually copper, that allows the bullet to penetrate a target more easily.
o "wadcutter" - The front of the bullet is flattened.
o "semi-wadcutter" - Intermediate between round-nose and wadcutter.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome, Jimbo, that's very helpful. Thanks. A lot of these terms I'm sort of absorbing as I go along, and stuff makes more sense every day. But a basic little chart like this is very helpful, thanks for passing that along.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts