Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
A lot depends on what type of Bulk ammo you are looking for...... I have found that I do just as well at Walmart, LGS's, and sporting goods stores like Dunhams & Dicks when looking for cheap run of the mill .22 lr ammo. Like for example, Blazer, Winchester, Remington, CCI, Federal, etc.
For better grade stuff like Wolf Match Target, I will order from Midway or Lucky Gunner if it is on sale but UPS and FedEx shipping on heavy boxes gets expensive.

There is a LGS that sells Federal American Eagle in 1000 rd cases at $335 for .45acp, $315 for .40, and $215 for 9mm.

I have purchased on line from Lucky Gunner and Midway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. I will look into those. I have looked at Lucky Gunner now for a while but I just didn't know if there was something better out there. They aren't bad by any means. Grass is greener you know.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Palmetto State Armory

They have the best overall sales of any place I've found and they frequently have some sort of sale going on. Last weekend it was free shipping over $50. Their ammo prices are always good.

Natchez Good prices, but I haven't ordered anything from them yet.

Ammo for Sale

Cheaper than Dirt has some pretty good sales once in a while

Midway has some good sales sometimes.

BTW - all the names above are links to their websites. PSA is the main company I do business with because of cost, prompt shipping and great customer service. They almost always have what I'm looking for in stock, even if it might not be the maker I had in mind... they've got something that will work, from premium ammo to plinking.

CAUTION: If you shoot rifles, make sure either a) your range allows steel core ammo or b) know what steel core is so you can avoid it. Two very popular 5.56 rounds are M855 and SS109 (PMC Xtac). These are both steel core and I haven't been able to find a range that allows it and I live in the dessert! :confused:

If you're curious about steel core ammo, here's a Wikipedia link to 5.56 steel core.

5.56×45mm NATO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NOTE: It's not just 5.56, but also 7.62x51 and 7.62x39 you have to worry about. I've not seen or bought steel core for these other two calibers, but it is made (for military use) and is available to the public.

Another way to safely buy 5.56 ammo, is that if you buy .223, it's not steel core. Same with 7.62x51, just buy Winchester .308 and it's not steel core.

I have 1,250 rounds of steel core ammo in 5.56 that I don't have a place to shoot. I guess I'm just saving it for the zombie apocalypse! ;)

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Palmetto State Armory

They have the best overall sales of any place I've found and they frequently have some sort of sale going on. Last weekend it was free shipping over $50. Their ammo prices are always good.
+1 I love PSA ... the free shipping deal was killer. Sometimes you can catch Cabela's with a great ammo price and free or $5 shipping. It's all a matter of timing.

Also, haven't seen any free shipping offers from Midway USA in a long time.

·
Banned
359 Posts
CAUTION: If you shoot rifles, make sure either a) your range allows steel core ammo or b) know what steel core is so you can avoid it. Two very popular 5.56 rounds are M855 and XM193. These are both steel core and I haven't been able to find a range that allows it and I live in the dessert! :confused:
Actually, M855 (or NATO ss109) is the 62 gr. steel-core round, M193 is 55 gr. lead with no steel. You can easily tell with a magnet. US-made M855 typically has a green polymer tip, but European/Israeli 855 does not.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Actually, M855 (or NATO ss109) is the 62 gr. steel-core round, M193 is 55 gr. lead with no steel. You can easily tell with a magnet. US-made M855 typically has a green polymer tip, but European/Israeli 855 does not.
You are correct sir. I must have misread it somewhere. What I have is 250 rounds of M855 and 1,000 rounds of PMC XTac. It's not marked anywhere on the box, but it is green tipped and made in Korea. And it is 62g.

Great. Now I've missed out on several sales because it was M193! DOH! :confused::eek::(

Oh well, I found an almost full case of .308 while digging through my ammo supply! :D :D :D

BTW - I edited my post so no one else gets it wrong. Thanks!

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Also, haven't seen any free shipping offers from Midway USA in a long time.
Yeah, me neither. The best I've seen is every once in a while they send out "save $50 on $500, $40 on $400, etc, etc.

They do have a limited time general discount they give you on your birthday. I didn't use mine, but it's sure worth registering with them for it.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Yeah, me neither. The best I've seen is every once in a while they send out "save $50 on $500, $40 on $400, etc, etc.
Yep. Also, that amount has to be a cumulative total at full retail ... discounted items do not count. :(

·
Banned
67 Posts
The Best deal on ammo often depends on who will ship it cheapest. Free or cheap shipping and no handling charges can offset a cheap sale price pretty fast when substantial weight is involved.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
The Best deal on ammo often depends on who will ship it cheapest. Free or cheap shipping and no handling charges can offset a cheap sale price pretty fast when substantial weight is involved.
That's for sure! I always total it with tax and/or shipping and figure out the price per round. Reasonable shipping fees are one of the main reasons I primarily order from PSA.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the help guys. I will be purchasing a good bit of bulk after I get the SR-556C for Christmas. Wish me luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts