Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am trying to decide on a bull barrel for my 1022. Right now I have a houge 920. Stock and the standard barrel is floating in the stock temporarily until I purchase a bull barrel. I have two main choices on my mind right now. One is the (Tactical Solutions matte black 16 1/2 inch fluted bull barrel.) it is not threaded. That sells for 195.00. The other option is the ( Green Mountain non fluted non threaded blued 18 inch bull barrel.) so pretty much a simple cylinder barrel. And the price on that is 117.00

I would like to know your guys opinions on which one to purchase based on price and quality.
Sorry for the long post, Max

· Registered
38 Posts
Max: I too am considering a bull barrel. I am looking at an E.R. Shaw 18", blue, non-fluted for around $80 + shipping. Both E A Brown and Shooters Discount have them in that price range. My biggest problem is deciding if I want to spend the extra money for a threaded barrel and flash hider, which I'm told does very little, or nothing, to affect the performance of the rifle. It's just for looks.

· Registered
2,523 Posts
If price and accuracy are your primary concerns then I would get the GM steel barrel...

If weight is a concern that is the only reason I would pay more for an aluminum barrel...it will be a lot less than half the weight...I seriously doubt you will get the same accuracy from a 16" TacSol barrel as an 18" GM...

If you want a longer, light weight aluminum barrel with compensator (muzzle brake) you can get a Whistle Pig for about the same price as the TacSol...it should be considerably more accurate...they come in 16, 17, 18, 20" with or w/o compensator cuts...the muzzle brake does not show and is there for accuracy enhancement not a gimmick...

You should be able to find the TacSol barrel online for a lot less than 195...

I have a TacSol barrel...I got it for the weight...got it for $175 shipped...I like it...if I were to get another aluminum barrel next time I would go for a WP 17" compensated barrel...being essentially the same weight and hopefully more accurate in the same price range...price approx $200

You can send your factory barrel to Q go have it re-chambered and I hear he does good work...should be more accurate than factory...lighter than steel bull...and cost less than steel bull...a good option for keeping both weight and cost down while increasing accuracy...

So it is mostly a matter of what your personal priorities are...

I see no reason to have threaded barrel myself...however...there are silencers, muzzle brakes, flash suppressors, and sights available...those are also all available in slip on for both factory and .920 barrels...IMO...the ONLY reason to have a threaded barrel would be for a silencer...and you need a federal license for that...

If I were going to all the cost and hassle of having a silencer...I would get the TacSol SBX...lightest, shortest barrel threaded that is SBR legal w/o silencer and only 16-17" with silencer...very cool...very pricey...I would not expect stellar accuracy past 100' with that...

· Registered
263 Posts
Can't really add much more than ZommyGun said. I have a 20" fluted matte black Whistle Pig and love it. It really comes down to what you want. I was looking for matte black only so it narrowed my choices down. I would have likely tried a GM barrel if the came in my desired finish.

· Registered
422 Posts
I will be in the market for a bull barrel too. My Nomad is getting to be pretty heavy, which leads me to want a TacSol 16.5" threaded barrel. But on the other end of the weight spectrum is the KIDD barrels made in Germany by Walther. They weigh up to 2 pounds though:( I guess I could use it for push presses and curls instead of spending money on going to the gym.

I feel like the Kidd barrel would also compliment our new MP .22 pistol(made by Walther, imported by S&W) we pick up this weekend.:D

Also, everywhere I look, most of the TAC-SOL barrels are on back order until January or February

· Registered
2,523 Posts
The curls won't help but you better get that left rotator cuff in really good shape...that is where all the pressure mounts...mine was torn up several times and several ways over the years so even at a little over 5lbs loaded with 2-7 scope it is heavy for me...fine for hunting or shooting from a bench...but walking and shooting for hours standing off hand I can tell you just adding a bigger scope completely kills it for me... :mad:

It would be so bad but I can't see well enough to hit a 2" target at 50 yards w/o a scope and even with a light 2-7 scope it is too heavy for me to hold on target for the same 2" steel target...

I was hoping a red dot being 8oz lighter would make the difference...it does sort of...the lighter weight allows me to hold the dot on the center of target...where I cannot with the scope...only problem is from a rest at the same distance the scope hits 100% of the time with cheap ammo...the dot does not...not sure why...just got it...hopefully I will be able to sort it out and get there...

Also...just got a knoxx stock... holy jeepers...that sucker with the TacSol barrel, TRS-25, loaded 10 round mag... 3lbs 15oz... :D

Balance is not bad...however, the grip, and short heel drop on the AR style butt stock is horrible...

It needs a whole lot of ergonizing at this point which will add some weight back...

In the end I hope to have it be as comfy as the Fajen I customized to fit me but at least a full pound less weight...

That will put me at about the same weight as the Fajen with iron sights which was just fine for my shoulder...only problem was my eyes...

I can't win... :mad:

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only thing is I really want a matte black finished barrel. I don't like the shiny finished barrel on the gm barrels and er shaw barrels. And suggestions on where I could get a matte finished barrel for under 150 bucks?

· Registered
422 Posts
The curls won't help but you better get that left rotator cuff in really good shape...that is where all the pressure mounts...mine was torn up several times and several ways over the years so even at a little over 5lbs loaded with 2-7 scope it is heavy for me...fine for hunting or shooting from a bench...but walking and shooting for hours standing off hand I can tell you just adding a bigger scope completely kills it for me... :mad:

It would be so bad but I can't see well enough to hit a 2" target at 50 yards w/o a scope and even with a light 2-7 scope it is too heavy for me to hold on target for the same 2" steel target...

I was hoping a red dot being 8oz lighter would make the difference...it does sort of...the lighter weight allows me to hold the dot on the center of target...where I cannot with the scope...only problem is from a rest at the same distance the scope hits 100% of the time with cheap ammo...the dot does not...not sure why...just got it...hopefully I will be able to sort it out and get there...

Also...just got a knoxx stock... holy jeepers...that sucker with the TacSol barrel, TRS-25, loaded 10 round mag... 3lbs 15oz... :D

Balance is not bad...however, the grip, and short heel drop on the AR style butt stock is horrible...

It needs a whole lot of ergonizing at this point which will add some weight back...

In the end I hope to have it be as comfy as the Fajen I customized to fit me but at least a full pound less weight...

That will put me at about the same weight as the Fajen with iron sights which was just fine for my shoulder...only problem was my eyes...

I can't win... :mad:
It might be time to get a laser dot. I love mine!

· Registered
6,515 Posts
GM is generally regarded as the best bang for the buck. I have both GM and the ER Shaw and enjoy them both. Depending on the set-up , the ammo and the shooter, I doubt you'll have much of a difference between them. That said...I'd still opt for the GM one just from my experience with those here really shooting extremely well. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.