Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a Lee turret press set for Xmas and a die set for 32 h&r magnum which will work for 327 federal and 32 s&w long. I own a 327 SP101 and shoot all 3 of these rounds. Can some one recommend 1 bullet and 1 powder that works well for all 3 rounds. Looking for a good starting point and will experiment later as I get used to reloading. The gun is used for target shooting, plinking and small game (nothing bigger than a coyote). Thanks and happy new year.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I bought my first 32H&R over 20yrs ago and have owned more than 50 of them, I've yet to ever fire a reloaded 32 S&W Long out of one. It's a waste of time, money, and effort - you can load low level rounds in 32H&R or 327FM brass and avoid a lot of headache.

If you're buying factory ammo, sometimes you might find yourself relegated to one or the other case, but if you're reloading, then it's largely wasted effort to stock and load for all 3.

H110 and 85grn XTP's should work fine in all 3 cases, but will be over spec for pressure compared to most 32 S&W Long data - but your SP will handle the pressure just fine. HP-38 should work fine also. Universal also.

You'll have to stay relatively light on bullets, hence the 85grn XTP vs. the 100.

It's not that complicated - a heavy for cartridge 32S&W Long bullet is a light for cartridge 327fm bullet, and the case length and pressure differential for the 3 will mean either your 327FM loads are lower pressure and lower performance than they should be, or your 32S&W are higher performance and pressure than they should be - a good magnum powder in 327FM will be too hot for S&W Long, and a moderate powder for S&W Long will be too light for magnum 327FM work.

Buy one set of 327FM brass and don't futz with resetting your dies or keeping inventory of different brass. If you want to shoot 32 S&W Long level loads, put a different powder into the case like TrailBoss - or less of the same powder - if you want to shoot magnum loads, load up a magnum powder.

Pick one or two bullets, two powders (H110 and TrailBoss), one set of 327FM cases. Then you'd only have to adjust your seating stem - nothing else - if you wanted to go from 32S&W Long level loads in 327FM brass up to full house 327FM mag loads in 327FM brass. If you want to save money on bullets, pick two bullets - like the Meister 78grn and the Hornady 100 XTP, but the 100XTP isn't expensive enough that you couldn't shoot it as a plinking bullet. I get 10c per bullet into the Meister and 15c per XTP, neither are expensive, but one is cheaper. THAT will simplify your life, and reduce your cost.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree with varmint ... stick with 327FM brass and just adjust your powder and bullet weights to get the loads you want. You can go from mild to wild with the same 327FM brass. This way there are minimal adjustments to your die setups, and you won't get the carbon build-up in your cylinders that you would acquire by using the shorter brass.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I load .32 H&R Magnum, but the same bullets should work for 327FM. Hornady makes a premium hollow point XTP in 85 grain or 100 grain. The Hornady XTPs are widely available in 100 bullet packs, but are a little pricey. Rainier makes a 100 grain plated hollow point that is much cheaper and is available in bulk, I just ordered a batch of these from Midway USA, so they have them. You have to stay with lower velocity on the plated rounds but it helps keep costs down (well under $10/box of 50) if you shoot a lot.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I bought my first 32H&R over 20yrs ago and have owned more than 50 of them, I've yet to ever fire a reloaded 32 S&W Long out of one. It's a waste of time, money, and effort - you can load low level rounds in 32H&R or 327FM brass and avoid a lot of headache.

If you're buying factory ammo, sometimes you might find yourself relegated to one or the other case, but if you're reloading, then it's largely wasted effort to stock and load for all 3.

H110 and 85grn XTP's should work fine in all 3 cases, but will be over spec for pressure compared to most 32 S&W Long data - but your SP will handle the pressure just fine. HP-38 should work fine also. Universal also.

You'll have to stay relatively light on bullets, hence the 85grn XTP vs. the 100.

It's not that complicated - a heavy for cartridge 32S&W Long bullet is a light for cartridge 327fm bullet, and the case length and pressure differential for the 3 will mean either your 327FM loads are lower pressure and lower performance than they should be, or your 32S&W are higher performance and pressure than they should be - a good magnum powder in 327FM will be too hot for S&W Long, and a moderate powder for S&W Long will be too light for magnum 327FM work.

Buy one set of 327FM brass and don't futz with resetting your dies or keeping inventory of different brass. If you want to shoot 32 S&W Long level loads, put a different powder into the case like TrailBoss - or less of the same powder - if you want to shoot magnum loads, load up a magnum powder.

Pick one or two bullets, two powders (H110 and TrailBoss), one set of 327FM cases. Then you'd only have to adjust your seating stem - nothing else - if you wanted to go from 32S&W Long level loads in 327FM brass up to full house 327FM mag loads in 327FM brass. If you want to save money on bullets, pick two bullets - like the Meister 78grn and the Hornady 100 XTP, but the 100XTP isn't expensive enough that you couldn't shoot it as a plinking bullet. I get 10c per bullet into the Meister and 15c per XTP, neither are expensive, but one is cheaper. THAT will simplify your life, and reduce your cost.
Best advice you'll get. I load a lot of 327 brass. I use Unique for light loads and AA#9 for the magnum loads. I've been loading 90-100 grain commercial cast bullets for both loads, but just purchased a 98 SWC mold I'm eager to try out. I hope It'll work for both loads. But come to think of it, I just got about 2000 115 RNFP cast bullets at a bargain I've got to do something with. With the high cost of 22's you can shoot the 32's cheaper if you cast.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I received a Lee turret press set for Xmas and a die set for 32 h&r magnum which will work for 327 federal and 32 s&w long. I own a 327 SP101 and shoot all 3 of these rounds. Can some one recommend 1 bullet and 1 powder that works well for all 3 rounds. Looking for a good starting point and will experiment later as I get used to reloading. The gun is used for target shooting, plinking and small game (nothing bigger than a coyote). Thanks and happy new year.
I think a better mindset would be to get the powders you need for the best loads. Creating a rule that everything has to use the same powder is compromising the whole concept of reloading.

Here's what I am using:

32 SWL - 2.8 gr Bullseye and 78 gr coated MO LRN
32 H&R - 3.5 gr AA#5 and 100 gr Silver State SWC that were too long in profile for the 327.
327 Federal Magnum. A strong 12 gr of AA#9 and 95 gr Penn SWC

While I could use a number of powders for both 32 SWL and H&R, the 327 is a different beast and should be optimized.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advise - not sure why I didn't think of it but it makes sense to lighten up the load on the H&R mag vs loading S&W longs.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Buy one set of 327FM brass and don't futz with resetting your dies or keeping inventory of different brass.

Pick one or two bullets, two powders (H110 and TrailBoss), one set of 327FM cases.
There are so many good reasons to do that, I can't count 'em.

I don't own a .327 Federal, but if I did, I'd load at least three different levels, and to do that I find it takes about three different powders. To really get the most from the little banger, W296/H110 or 2400, and a well constructed jacketed bullet, the heaviest one I could find, would be on my list. For intermediate level loads, I'd fish up a quality cast bullet. For that I have Herco, but a medium slow burner loaded down a tad. For clay birds with an attitude, one of the swaged economy bullets from Hornady or Speer, over Bullseye or AA No.2.

I use the same approach with my .357/.44M's.

All of the straight case magnums are great for that kind of approach, and I use the same strategy in every one.

It's great you can use all the different ammo, but pointless unless you run out of the right stuff.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
There are so many good reasons to do that, I can't count 'em.

I don't own a .327 Federal, but if I did, I'd load at least three different levels, and to do that I find it takes about three different powders. To really get the most from the little banger, W296/H110 or 2400, and a well constructed jacketed bullet, the heaviest one I could find, would be on my list. For intermediate level loads, I'd fish up a quality cast bullet. For that I have Herco, but a medium slow burner loaded down a tad. For clay birds with an attitude, one of the swaged economy bullets from Hornady or Speer, over Bullseye or AA No.2.

I use the same approach with my .357/.44M's.

All of the straight case magnums are great for that kind of approach, and I use the same strategy in every one.

It's great you can use all the different ammo, but pointless unless you run out of the right stuff.
I am big into 327 Federal Magnum and reloading for them and noticed that the published load's powder selections are different than my 357/41/44 Magnums. AA#9 is about as close to a magnum powder as any I recall. I am definitely not going to use H110 in my loads unless I find very credible load data to support it.

My point is to be cautious about projecting knowledge of another caliber/cartridge onto 327 Federal Magnum with its extraordinary pressure potential (45k psi).

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Since I have both the Single Seven and a baby Vaquero, I just standardized on the .32 H&R mag cartridge rather than keep two cartridges around. Works for me. I bought the guns as my 'reloadable' .22s anyway. Never use Jacketed bullets. Only lead. My velocities are around 1000 to 1100fps. I could not get the 78g TC bullet to be that accurate (be fine for shooting cans/bottles close in but not for bullseye shooting), but the 100g and 115g seem much better. I've been testing powders and the best two so far have been True Blue and AA#5. At the small powder loads, Unique just doesn't meter well for me but does the job if you watch it. 4.0g under 100-115g bullet is accurate. But, I will stick with fine grained powders that really meter well. Over the next summer, I want to test more loads with this cartridge.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I am definitely not going to use H110 in my loads unless I find very credible load data to support it.
Are Hornady, Hodgdon, Speer, and John Taffin not credible sources?

Off the top of my head, I know all of these to offer H110/W296 reloading data for the .327. I'm also certain as many or more sources list H110/W296 for .32 H&R, well proven - same case, tolerant of the same pressure, just shorter.

There are also multiple sources for 2400 and 4227 loads with 327 and 32h&r loads, both magnum powders. Which makes sense, right? Both are magnum cartridges...

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Ireding looks like a ton of great advice on loading for a .327 FM. I also have a Ruger SP101 .327FM plus the Lee .32 H&R Magnum dies. I just now need to make up my mind what bullet or bullets to order then get started to reload. I did a simple web search on .327 Federal Magnum reloads and came up with roughly 5-1/2 pages of data that I have now printed up. There was enough information that I probably will not need to purchase a reloading manual. I have 3 types of powder and got information for all 3 to use in reloads. Just thought I would mention this might help some. There is a ton of information right here as well on the Ruger Forum good luck to you!!!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Are Hornady, Hodgdon, Speer, and John Taffin not credible sources?

Off the top of my head, I know all of these to offer H110/W296 reloading data for the .327. I'm also certain as many or more sources list H110/W296 for .32 H&R, well proven - same case, tolerant of the same pressure, just shorter.

There are also multiple sources for 2400 and 4227 loads with 327 and 32h&r loads, both magnum powders. Which makes sense, right? Both are magnum cartridges...
I would normally be looking and recalling lead bullet data, but as a matter of fact Hornady #9 makes no mention of H110 for 327 Federal Magnum, even for their jacketed bullets. However, Speer does in the 327 Fed mag supplement but again for jacketed. I just think risk is elevated at the pressure level of top end loads for the 327.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The .327fm is not the highest pressure cartridge spec'd for H110/W296, why would you consider it to be a higher risk than higher pressure cartridges like 454c, 475line, 500 and 460s&w? H110's a high pressure cartridge, jacketed bullet powder. Why wouldn't it be safe for the published and pressure tested loads for which it was designed?

If you're shooting lead, sure, H110 probably isn't your powder, but if it were "risky" for high pressure magnum, jacketed bullet shooters, lots of folks would have blown themselves up a long time ago.

What am I missing here - I really don't get it?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The .327fm is not the highest pressure cartridge spec'd for H110/W296, why would you consider it to be a higher risk than higher pressure cartridges like 454c, 475line, 500 and 460s&w? H110's a high pressure cartridge, jacketed bullet powder. Why wouldn't it be safe for the published and pressure tested loads for which it was designed?

If you're shooting lead, sure, H110 probably isn't your powder, but if it were "risky" for high pressure magnum, jacketed bullet shooters, lots of folks would have blown themselves up a long time ago.

What am I missing here - I really don't get it?
Some of the platforms for 327 are pushed near their limits to enable offerings in 327 Federal Magnum. Since H110 is reputed to be erratic if not near max loading, I will reserve the right to be apprehensive about using it. Again, in the realm of lead bullets I have already been beaten up about trying 300-MP in other magnum cartridges for lack of proven data, so I avoid powders that have the potential to melt the base of the bullet, reserving their potential use for gas checked, plated, or jacketed bullets.

You're really disputing the accuracy of my recollections, which I concede were inaccurate, so let it go.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
You're really disputing the accuracy of my recollections, which I concede were inaccurate, so let it go.
It seems like you're taking offense here - which wasn't my intention. Equally, you're misinterpreting my intent...

The fact that you don't load jacketed bullets so you don't use H110 and don't recall load data for it isn't any concern - no harm, no foul.

But having an irrational fear of H110 with high pressure cartridges with jacketed bullets doesn't make sense, nor does applying powder restrictions specific to lead bullets to jacketed bullets.

You're a guy that's around here a lot and catches the attention and respect of newbies asking questions - deservedly so - but you have a distinct bias against H110 even for its intended use in this case, which isn't fair to pass on without clarifying your biases.

Equally, it seems that you're biased against high pressure in general, based on your statements about the pressure tolerance of "some platforms". The guy's loading for a Ruger SP101 - which is NOT at the top of its tolerance for the 327FM. Frankly, I don't buy into the bias that SAAMI approved load data would be destructive in any 327FM chambered current model, so I don't buy the premise that H110 would be dangerous in some platforms vs. others. It's not an old cartridge that's been given new life by an over strength revolver - it's a modern cartridge designed for high pressures, with it's resulting firearms equally designed. H110 loads with jacketed bullets are not 327FM+P loads - they're SAAMI compliant, and will function safely in any SAAMI compliant firearm. Whether Charter or Rossi didn't sufficiently design their revolvers to handle the SAAMI spec that they claim it can - that's their problem to deal with Warranty replacements when shooters, even those running factory loads, return their weapons that have shot loose.

SAAMI compliant is SAAMI compliant, and SAAMI compliant loads using H110 under Jacketed pills do exist, whether you choose to use them or not.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
It seems like you're taking offense here - which wasn't my intention. Equally, you're misinterpreting my intent...

The fact that you don't load jacketed bullets so you don't use H110 and don't recall load data for it isn't any concern - no harm, no foul.

But having an irrational fear of H110 with high pressure cartridges with jacketed bullets doesn't make sense, nor does applying powder restrictions specific to lead bullets to jacketed bullets.

You're a guy that's around here a lot and catches the attention and respect of newbies asking questions - deservedly so - but you have a distinct bias against H110 even for its intended use in this case, which isn't fair to pass on without clarifying your biases.

Equally, it seems that you're biased against high pressure in general, based on your statements about the pressure tolerance of "some platforms". The guy's loading for a Ruger SP101 - which is NOT at the top of its tolerance for the 327FM. Frankly, I don't buy into the bias that SAAMI approved load data would be destructive in any 327FM chambered current model, so I don't buy the premise that H110 would be dangerous in some platforms vs. others. It's not an old cartridge that's been given new life by an over strength revolver - it's a modern cartridge designed for high pressures, with it's resulting firearms equally designed. H110 loads with jacketed bullets are not 327FM+P loads - they're SAAMI compliant, and will function safely in any SAAMI compliant firearm. Whether Charter or Rossi didn't sufficiently design their revolvers to handle the SAAMI spec that they claim it can - that's their problem to deal with Warranty replacements when shooters, even those running factory loads, return their weapons that have shot loose.

SAAMI compliant is SAAMI compliant, and SAAMI compliant loads using H110 under Jacketed pills do exist, whether you choose to use them or not.
Appreciate the reassurance but will remain apprehensive about using H110 with 327 Federal Magnum. I don't believe I said anything about what others should do in that regard.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
My point is to be cautious about projecting knowledge of another caliber/cartridge onto 327 Federal Magnum with its extraordinary pressure potential (45k psi).
Good point.

I was suggesting that any round using a straight walled case has several levels to which a shooter can handload.

OK?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
According to Hodgdon:

H110 was surplus .30 carbine powder introduced in 1962 for loading the .30 carbine and magnum revolver cartridges.

Wootters, John Propellant Profiles (1982) Wolfe Publishing Company pp.95,101,136-138,141,149&155 ISBN 0-935632-10-7

Labisky, Wallace Propellant Profiles (1982) Wolfe Publishing Company pp.83-97 ISBN 0-935632-10-7

Seems it was safe in the M1 Carbine @ 40kpsi :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts