Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My first post.

I’ve been reloading for my Redhawk with a .431 180g Jhp. I’m looking to load a heavier 315 grain all lead WLN. I would like increase diameter to. .432.

I don’t know if my Redhawk will passively take the larger bullet.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Welcome, a moderator I am sure will move this over to the reloading thread. You will get lots of feedback on this.

I have never reloaded for a revolver but I do know your actual throat size comes into play. It does vary gun to gun based most likely on tool wear when it was drilled.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I do a slip fit in the chambers on my 44's. In the Smith's and Ruger it was .430. To me this is the important measurement. If that bullet is loose in the throat you may experience gas cutting with a lead bullet. Your handgun will give the right answer.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,098 Posts
Tothebestofthem, I'm curious …. where did you get .431" diameter bullets? Hornady, Speer, and most other bullet manufactures are at .429~.430". For lead bullets, .431" is OK providing the cylinder throats have been reamed to .431". Using bullets larger than throat diameter increases chamber pressure and doesn't have any benefits whatsoever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had purchased 44 mag 180 grain SJHP supposedly measuring .430.
Think they were Remington? They measure out between .431 and .432. They shoot without any problems other than the guy holding the gun.

Wanted a heavier round for bear protection when hiking. Today I went to: Beartooth Bullets- in their fact section.

Today I purchased from them:
325 g .432 diameter LCMN. The above speaks to the .432 diameter. The lead will be more forgiving in the barrel.

I have slipped the .431-.432 in the cylinder and it's not tight. The .429 actually wiggles in the cylinder. Spoke with Ruger and they don't want to comment on any reloading.

Now I have to develop a powder charge for the round.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bullets should be sized to slip fit, with moderate pressure at most, in the throats. Naturally, the throats should be sized relative to the bore diameter, with the forcing cone bridging the dimensions to align the two.

If you want to change bullets, but the new are oversized, simply size the bullets in a drawing die.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been loading for my Ruger Redhawk & S&W 44 revolvers for 20 years +.. 430 dia. My Win 44mag rifle also. I use my own cast bullets, 260gr cast from scrape wheel weights. Brn 10.5 to 11 with gas checks. A little harder , Brn 16 for the rifle. Using 2400 powder with standard non mag pistol primers all the way around. . Excellent accuracy. I have found the 260 gr to be a great compromise bullet weight. I believe unless you have a considerably over size bore .432 to be to large.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts