Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a tendency for the first bullet from the clip jamming partially at an angle in the chamber as I attempt to load. At first I thought I was not releasing the slide from my hand correctly, and maybe slowing down the slide as it was closing with the new bullet. So I consciously now "get out of the way" as soon as I draw the slider back and release quickly. This seemed to help - and make the jams less frequent. But still it happens sometimes - I don't want it to happen ever. This has never happened after the first bullet loads. Always, so far, bullets that load "automatically" as the gun is being fired all have loaded into the chamber and fire as they should.

I'm using Rem UMC JHP rounds. Could this be a bullet issue and not a loading issue? This hasn't been an issue with FMJ rounds so far.

Also, can such a jammed round be ejected and then manually inserted into the chamber instead of replacing into the clip, close the slider and then proceed as usual?

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
What gun are you using? model/caliber? Some SR22 magazines have had the top end crimped slightly making it difficult to load - in my case I got it replaced before using it - but it could have resulted in extra force needed to push the round out of the mag.

The first round in the mag will be pressed against the top of the mag tighter and might require a bit more force to push out of the mag. Does the first round in the mag do the same thing if the mag is loaded with less than the max number of rounds it can hold?

Alternatively - could be the mag is too loose - when you rack the slide manually slowly - does the round go straight into the chamber or does it move side to side a lot?

If you have other guns or can find a friend or at your local shop/range - an identical gun to compare and see if there is something different about yours.

If a new gun contact the manufacturer.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Your problem is that you are using a clip instead of a magazine. Clips are to load magazines. :p

Try short loading your magazine by 1 round and see if the problem goes away. If it doesnt subside, try a different magazine. The top of your mag may not be placing the first round in the proper position.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What gun are you using? model/caliber? Some SR22 magazines have had the top end crimped slightly making it difficult to load - in my case I got it replaced before using it - but it could have resulted in extra force needed to push the round out of the mag.

The first round in the mag will be pressed against the top of the mag tighter and might require a bit more force to push out of the mag. Does the first round in the mag do the same thing if the mag is loaded with less than the max number of rounds it can hold?

Alternatively - could be the mag is too loose - when you rack the slide manually slowly - does the round go straight into the chamber or does it move side to side a lot?

If you have other guns or can find a friend or at your local shop/range - an identical gun to compare and see if there is something different about yours.

If a new gun contact the manufacturer.
Sorry - Ruger SR9C, just a few months old. I'll try both mags and slow racking and see what I can see. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Sorry - Ruger SR9C, just a few months old. I'll try both mags and slow racking and see what I can see. Thanks.
Slow racking is most likely the probem. You mentioned that it never happens except on the first round you chamber which is when manual racking is occuring.

When the pistol reloads itself, things happen at a very high speed and there is no human interaction involved to slow the slide down even just a bit.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My LC9 was doing this after Ruger replaced the slide for my falling off site. After a couple trips to the range it seemed to loosen up and it feeds right in there now.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I agree with the "slow racking" idea. And on a couple of my .22 Marks , I would have to short load the magazine by one round until the spring tension on the magazine relaxed a bit; usually after a few hundred rounds.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I tried some manual slow racking of the slide on my SR22 and got a couple of rounds to stick at about a 30% angle and had to pull back on the slide to get them to line up again.

Also discovered what might have been causing failure to feed of the third round when I was using Federal ammo (spoiler: it might no be the ammo). Step one - rack the slide and release to chamber round 1. Step two - repeat step one to chamber round 2. Step three - rack the slide to eject round two and round three had its nose sticking up at a such an angle that the back end of the bullet was well below the point where the slide engages it - seemed that the rim of the bullet was stuck in the guide slot - releasing the slide on the empty chamber can be enough to dislodge the "stuck" round - then rack a second time and it works fine. I will have to pay more attention to this next time on the range - I still have about half a box of the Federal (had 3 or 4 failure to feed using it compared to maybe 1 out of 1000 with Winchester and Remington).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Slow racking is most likely the probem. You mentioned that it never happens except on the first round you chamber which is when manual racking is occuring.

When the pistol reloads itself, things happen at a very high speed and there is no human interaction involved to slow the slide down even just a bit.
I've now found another factor - I had been manually racking for the first round while pointing the sr9c down toward the ground. I discovered that if I point the pistol up a bit above the horizon, then the incline of the barrel drops a bit to a more welcoming position for the incoming round! And it slides in beautifully.

My thought is that when firing, the barrel is bouncing around a bit within its tolerances, and the incoming round quickly gets worked into full insertion in the chamber. Manual racking with the pistol oriented down sets the barrel stationary in an awkward position for the first round - and especially for HMJ's, which have a flat nose, jamming can happen. Maybe.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I too had problems when I got my first small(tiny?) guns.A keltec p3at. First round by hand would not chamber.Then I started racking it like I mean it.It takes a firm,snappy action to get the first round in.As you noticed when shooting there is no problem.That is because the slide is going ALL the way back and forth quickly.If it gets hung up you can always hit the back of the slide.This usually works.You will eventually get the "feel" for it and the gun will loosen up also. Also,do not use the pinch method(index finger and thumb) Grab the slide over the top as close to the rear as possible.Just my 2c.

·
Registered
41 Posts
check the feed ramp

I will be checking the feed ramp on my new SR40c when I get it home today.

I had FTF problems with a Hi-Point JCP 40 and followed advice from a YouTube vid about polishing the feed ramp. It fired flawlessly after I preformed the work on it, even with steel casings!

I also checked for resistance at the top of the mag by pushing the top round forward with my index finger. I ended up dressing the inside edges at the top of the mags, it helped greatly.
Hope this helps.

There are several videos about the subject, here is one link, not sure if it was the first one I watched, but you will get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikegjHcNdY0

1 - 12 of 12 Posts