Ruger Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
There were a number of states that at some point adopted the requirement that a spent cartridge had to be submitted to some state agency for a ballistics database. The theory was that spent cartridges found at a crime scene could be matched through the database to a specific gun and traced back to the purchaser and the crime solved, etc...
And revolvers don't often leave spent casings at the scene...

·
Super Moderator
21,354 Posts
Somewhere in a little room tucked in the back of many state capitals are probably millions of spent cases in little brown envelopes.

So OP how does it shoot?

·
Registered
242 Posts
If I received a new Revolver, and it Wasn't Dirty, I would be worried that it slipped past it's Proof Firing. Enjoy your new GP

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
The brown envelope was the best way to establish a gun’s birthdate. Now how will we know? Do they print a date on the box label now? If not, why not?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
And, since there’s less labor now without a person documenting the test fire, do they pass along the cost saving to us? :D

·
Registered
858 Posts
All guns are fired at the factory. They do not clean them afterwards. They stopped sending the fired case years ago.
what he said....not to worry. Enjoy your new Ruger

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's good to hear, about the dusty/dirty GP 100 I mean. Mine was very dusty but it cleaned right up with Ballistol. I checked down the barrel before shooting it and all was well. Mine was also me to me for: 1. Christmas. 2. Early birthday present (March). 3. Retirement at end of March. 4. I've read Ruger has stopped production on the .327 Fed Mag and I wanted one. I got the 6" barrel.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Congrats on the GP ... as others have said no worries it's all good ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's good to hear, about the dusty/dirty GP 100 I mean. Mine was very dusty but it cleaned right up with Ballistol. I checked down the barrel before shooting it and all was well. Mine was also me to me for: 1. Christmas. 2. Early birthday present (March). 3. Retirement at end of March. 4. I've read Ruger has stopped production on the .327 Fed Mag and I wanted one. I got the 6" barrel.
Is this a fact, that Ruger has stopped production of 327 Federal Magnum revolvers?

·
Registered
74 Posts
rickf, Even in my manual it says "This revolver is no longer produced in .327" or something like that; in the section about adjusting the sights. Also, I've seen it in online dealers' sites when searching for it. In Ruger's GP 100 search it's not listed like it was recently. I wanted the 5" blued Lipsey version but it's out, also. Not sure about the SP 101s or the smaller carry LCP. (Think that's the model no.) I'm going to e-mail Ruger to confirm all this when I get a chance. It's a shame because that is a pretty cool and powerful cartridge. Plus, the gun can actually shoot 5 different .32 caliber cartridges, although it's best to just stick with .32 S&W Long, H&R magnum, and the .327 Fed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My thoughts exactly, a neat round. I guess not enough sales to survive.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
My me to me Christmas present was a Wilson Combat Beretta Centurion. After I was done drooling it was time to clean it...it took about 6 or 7 passes with the brass brush to get the bore to where it is shiny and clean. Every new gun should be cleaned and inspected before shooting for these reasons. Have not shot this one yet but will feel lots better when I do.
Yup what they said. Just spent 15 minutes yesterday cleaning my new GP 10mm. Completely normal and nothing to worry about
I give everything a good cleaning and a good once-over when I first get it...that way it's clean before I hit the range and if there's an issue, I spot it before it becomes an even bigger issue!
It's just something I started doing with the first revolver I ever purchased and have applied that approach to everything I've ever owned ever since!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I give everything a good cleaning and a good once-over when I first get it...that way it's clean before I hit the range and if there's an issue, I spot it before it becomes an even bigger issue!
It's just something I started doing with the first revolver I ever purchased and have applied that approach to everything I've ever owned ever since!
That's a good regimen!:)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts