Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advise.

My daughter and SIL live next door. He is currently working nights. They have an inside dog and an alarm system. We live in a semi rural community with at least 3 acres to each house, dead end road, all good neighbors and fairly wooded.

2 of the last 3 nights, my daughter calls at 12:30 AM saying she either heard something in the house or, last night, someone rang the doorbell. She is calm and I'm talking to her on the phone while grabbing the shotgun and making my way over there in stealth mode. I see no sign of any problems either night. She says the dog was barking in both cases.

My child also has a history of doing strange things in her sleep so I'm a little skeptical that this is really happening.

I am searching for ideas that would help me determine if someone was actually on the porch or around the outside of the house. The porch only has one way to access so I'm thinking of stringing some thread between the post and about 1' off the ground. Also stringing thread in other strategic locations I may also set up a game camera or 2.

Would you have any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
902 Posts
Game cameras and noise making booby traps are a good idea. Maybe you could spend a few nights with her also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Game cameras and noise making booby traps are a good idea. Maybe you could spend a few nights with her also.
I'm trying to spend the night there but for some reason, she is rejecting this idea. I think she doesn't want to inconvenience me. I'm trying to convince her that calling at 12:30AM is worse and can be dangerous.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,549 Posts
Game camera, motion activated lights.
I'll get a camera myself from Basspro.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You can get a motion detection light that runs off it's own very small solar panel for 40 dollars from Harbor Freight web site. Since you do not have to wire it into a electrical outlet, you install it just about anywhere around the house. That and a game camera will let you know if there is a prowler or if your daughter is having bad dreams.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
You can use flour get a bag put it on the ground. Then you can tell who went thru it.
Cost maybe $2.00-washs away with the first rain.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I have surveillance cameras outside watching my lot line and to the house. Perimeter video as you will. Cannot beat it and now there are many options to alarm you inside to the presence of trespass. Vibration sensors into flowerbeds and so on. This system is not common knowledge and a passive warning to intruders on my property, a heads up only. Very effective.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Some good recommendations so far. Just make sure that if you are patrolling around with a firearm, you know where everyone is, and that Law Enforcement isn't out there too.

Of course, you could use one of these too.......

·
Registered
185 Posts
the door bell claim - a piece of dream?

Hi - it would be good to ask the person who heard the doorbell about their sleep conditions - my wife is scared of the imaginary outside stalkers, and she can have the dream or impression that she heard a door opening, or the door bell, or a knock, when falling asleep. It is just a trick of the mind.

I go out and investigate - prepared, but never very fearful.

I have had this myself, but much less than my wife. FWIW, she has had an intruder in her home more than once, so she is much more wary and scared.

If a door bell ring is reported more than once, I wold definitely do one of the already-posted suggestions.

I am not going to repeat the term we used to describe our juvenile prank of ringing someone's doorbell then running away, but it is a well-known prank. It is not funny to people who are too aware of the scoundrels out there. If kids are doing this, they need to get caught and get in trouble.

·
Registered
467 Posts
If your daughter has a video baby monitor that's been put in storage, it could be unpacked & used as cheap, easy, DIY video surveillance. The one we bought over 10 yrs. ago when my daughter was a baby could transmit a pretty darn good black-and-white picture from a dark room. Had audio, too, but no recording capability. I did this myself once when somebody took to ringing our doorbell in the wee hours of the morning one summer. Since it's not made for outdoor use, you'd have to keep the camera out of the weather under a covered porch or else put it in a window overlooking the desired location.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Having a dog that barks at sudden noises is also a good warning system. Mine will bark if someone knocks or rings the doorbell and will not stop barking until I physically get up to check it out.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you have a 120v source you can get a wireless video cam with mic and speaker built in. I bought a Foscam for about $60 that is wireless, you can rotate the cam horizontal and vertical from your pc also hear what is going on.

I also installed software called Ispy on my pc to record, It can be configured to start the recording. IE motion, sound. Also a few option on how to identify motion. I use the display option called border highlighting, it will highlight any movement. Depending on some other settings, it will record when the programs scenes movement in a dark are that you would easily miss just by looking at the video.

The cam I have has IR detection but the distance is visually limited to about 7, 8 feet. (software will still record movement out of the ir visual area)

You can use Ispy without paying for it as long as you do not want to view your video from outside your home network.

There are ways using free software where you can access your pc from another location, doing this you would be able to view the cam from another locations on a remote pc. Most likely there is an app that will let you do it on a tablet, I have not check on that option.

I like the idea of putting flour on the ground to see if someone poking around, will have to remember that.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,256 Posts
Game cameras are incredibly cheap nowadays and provide good evidence. Probably a lot of them on post-Christmas sale. I would not be afraid of buying "refurbished" for something like this to save some money. Usually "refurbished" is just the stuff that people bought then didn't want and returned to the store.

Magnetic door alarms are extremely cheap and quick to install.
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Disc...451162611&sr=8-6&keywords=magnetic+door+alarm Just stick them on each door an window and turn on the switches when you go to bed. They make an unbelievably loud, shrill noise when the two pieces are pulled apart. These are also good to use with fishing line to make outdoor "noise booby traps" that would scare the bejezus out of someone thinking that they were sneaking up on a home stealthily in the dark.

Hi - it would be good to ask the person who heard the doorbell about their sleep conditions - my wife is scared of the imaginary outside stalkers, and she can have the dream or impression that she heard a door opening, or the door bell, or a knock, when falling asleep. It is just a trick of the mind.
I get that sometimes. It can result in really scary half-waking dreams where you hear normal stuff like the wind outside but then the dream state turns it into something else much more loud or frightening. However, if her dogs are truly barking then that theory's out the window. :eek:

If the dogs really are barking and someone is jerking her around like this, I'd take it seriously. That sounds all weird and stalker-like, especially if people know her husband is working nights. And that kind of thing can escalate.

She hasn't ticked anyone off lately has she? No creepy ex spouses or anything?

·
Registered
185 Posts
dogs barking -

Game cameras are incredibly cheap nowadays and provide good evidence. Probably a lot of them on post-Christmas sale. I would not be afraid of buying "refurbished" for something like this to save some money. Usually "refurbished" is just the stuff that people bought then didn't want and returned to the store.

Magnetic door alarms are extremely cheap and quick to install.
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Disc...451162611&sr=8-6&keywords=magnetic+door+alarm Just stick them on each door an window and turn on the switches when you go to bed. They make an unbelievably loud, shrill noise when the two pieces are pulled apart. These are also good to use with fishing line to make outdoor "noise booby traps" that would scare the bejezus out of someone thinking that they were sneaking up on a home stealthily in the dark.

I get that sometimes. It can result in really scary half-waking dreams where you hear normal stuff like the wind outside but then the dream state turns it into something else much more loud or frightening. However, if her dogs are truly barking then that theory's out the window. :eek:

If the dogs really are barking and someone is jerking her around like this, I'd take it seriously. That sounds all weird and stalker-like, especially if people know her husband is working nights. And that kind of thing can escalate.

She hasn't ticked anyone off lately has she? No creepy ex spouses or anything?
--We have neighbor dogs that bark all the time. We have stray cats in the neighborhood, plus whatever else they decide is worth a bark. So, for us, hearing a bark is worthless.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts